Calling all artists, programmers and anyone with some ideas!

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

208 Replies - 11090 Views - Last Post: 10 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Calling all artists, programmers and anyone with some ideas!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

I think I can safely say that this is about the point where most people will either walk away or simply ignore the project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

I know and i really don't care anymore. I am just going with what i am comfortable with, since i already know quite a bit about vb.net. I might not even be working on this for a while, i am trying to help the poeple at monodevelop improve their vb.net binding. If people come fine, if they don't come it's fine, at this point i really don't care since i am trying to improve my skills further and get myself out there, i have since learned that if they will come if they want to, and there's nothing i can do to make them want to come, after all that i've done. I'll try what i can to get the project looking more developed, with the stuff i never migrated over to the site.....but that may be some time....
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Well, part of that life lesson was good, but the part about not caring at all makes you sound a bit like Derek Smart and his "I don't give a flying shit what you say, it's my game, I'll make it my way, and you guys can all go screw yourselves because what I'm doing is better than you can comprehend" attitude. I'm not saying that's how you're acting, I'm just giving fair warning not to end up like that.

Sad thing is that no, I'm not kidding about that...at all. That's really how he acts.

This post has been edited by johnmatthais: 13 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

Gee thanks, that's not how i'm acting, i'm trying to do alot of things so i am just gonna list them. I am tired of trying to hide that i'm a n00b because quite frankly i am, yet again because it's been awhile since i've used vb.net. Okay so 1 to either fix my computer or get a new one. The one i have now, when i am running ubuntu 9.1 it randomly crashes. 2 I'm trying to improve the vb.net binding for monodevelop(but hard to do because of 1). Then going to try and learn how to make the game, after i gather my info gdocs. I'm sorry if i sound like what johnmatthis said but it's a lie. I've been trying to act like what i'm not which is a semi-advanced programmer. I've made my mistakes, and i'm trying to learn from them. I've got most of the info for this game that i think is needed i just haven't moved it from google docs. And hopefully with programming I in school next school year, i will be more advanced than what i actually am and have a better understanding of programming that what i might have now.

This post has been edited by milleja46: 13 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

View Postmilleja46, on 13 May 2010 - 06:34 PM, said:

And hopefully with programming I in school next school year, i will be more advanced than what i actually am and have a better understanding of programming that what i might have now.

Good luck. Not everyone has what it takes to be a programmer, but if you keep at it you should get a lot better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

Thanks, i really need this class, if i ever want to have a better understanding of what i'm doing. Teaching myself isn't cutting out. I think i learn better when i have help from a teacher than another programmer that's actually in the field for programming and not teaching it. I think it teaches vb.net too.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

View Postmilleja46, on 13 May 2010 - 04:34 PM, said:

I'm sorry if i sound like what johnmatthis said but it's a lie.

View Postjohnmatthais, on 13 May 2010 - 02:17 PM, said:

I'm not saying that's how you're acting, I'm just giving fair warning not to end up like that.

Eh...right...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:25 PM

will you stop editing what i say?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

View Postmilleja46, on 13 May 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

will you stop editing what i say?

I didn't...I just cut out the part that was of concern to me and responded with what I had originally said before the accusation...there's nothing wrong with that at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

View Postmilleja46, on 13 May 2010 - 06:52 PM, said:

Thanks, i really need this class, if i ever want to have a better understanding of what i'm doing. Teaching myself isn't cutting out. I think i learn better when i have help from a teacher than another programmer that's actually in the field for programming and not teaching it. I think it teaches vb.net too.....

I know the feeling. It might take a while, but all you need to do is keep at it and look things up yourself. Everyone learns differently, but the best way for me to learn is taking a section of working code, and then editing things to look and see how they work. For instance, I'll delete a line and see what doewsn't work, or change a value from 1 to 2 and see what speeds up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:32 AM

huh, never thought of that,(well i did, but never thought of really doing it)......
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions for starting game development in vb.net? I really want to create my own engine for this, and my own map designer for it too. I don't want to use any premade stuff from anywhere unless someone makes the stuff for me, like the characters, and the pieces of stuff for the maps. Other than that i want to hand code it, without being premade by any company or user here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

I thought you knew VB.NET...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:51 PM

I do, just not th game development side of it, all i've done so far is the app development side. Also i'm not used to using gtk# commands in monodevelop. I just recently switched to this since i am on linux, and it requires the gtk# commands to make things. So yes i know vb.net, just not the game and gtk# side of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

Okay...you're not factually backing up your statements. Given that you're on Linux and have not used the required GTK# commands, I don't see how you've actually done any app development unless you went through a few tutorials and figured you couldn't be arsed up in learning how to compile them, which I wouldn't rate as a good habit, because even if you copied them verboten from their original source, you could get all sorts of compilation errors. Either than or it's a recent switch from Windows, which I guess I can't reliably deduce from the information at hand, due to the fact that all you've said is that you've recently switched to MonoDevelop. In which case...why aren't you using Mono?

I also have to ask why in god's name you're using a .NET language, developed by Microsoft, for Windows on a Linux box. It seems a bit ignorant of reliability.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »