• +
  • « First

47 Replies - 10396 Views - Last Post: 10 June 2014 - 12:19 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is VB.Net really that bad?

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:53 PM

Actually even though I am a VB programmer, I quite like the thought of having a langauge sluur between VB and C# because for one it means that you can have one common .net langauge base, other than silverlight and possibly WPF. This means that you can call on a .net programmer as just that rather than picking of minorities.

Though I it does make me wonder what such a langauge would be called? Or would Microsoft be boring and just call it .net?

Though any langauge like that would probally be a little to powerful, if not used right...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• If at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

To all of you the thing is that there is nothing much that is possible in other languages but not VB. You could do almost everything with VB. The code does not come out to the user of the program, but the program itself does. The end user does not care about what language a program is made in he just cares if it works..
I...
I Personally believes that the language you use represents your personality. I have used C# and have even dipped my fingers into C++ and even java (No offense but i hated every minute of java). But the language that spoke to me was VB.net and if anyone else wants to use another language I really don't care. The thing is I program in vb.net and if anyone else has a problem with it, they can f**k themselves.
About the syntax change, yes i do agree that the syntax of VB.net is different from other languages and yes absolute beginners should not be directly introduced to it. I myself was introduced to VB (not .net) and had a hard time (and still do) working with C# code.

However all in all VB.net is a great language and as I have said before
if anyone else has a problem with it, they can f**k themselves.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:19 AM

I was working at Microsoft when VB .NET was being developed. As a programming writer, I wrote a lot of VB .NET code. I had a lot of prior VB 6 experience (and 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, AND VB for DOS!) and I had no problems moving from VB 6 to VB .NET. Once I became familiar with .NET, I was able to write code in VB and convert it to C# on the fly.

VB .NET might not be the best language for beginners, although I'm not sure I agree with that, but it does have a few advantages. I still like the With statement and the ability to access the My namespace.

By the way, for what it's worth, my first language was BASIC on the TI-99/4A back in 1983.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First