2D Fighter? what do i need?

Looking to see what i need to do this kind of game

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 20285 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2010 - 03:53 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

2D Fighter? what do i need?

Post icon  Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

Well, first off, HI!, my name is Tyger and im interested in making a 2D fighter game with small sprites. i cant say exactly how small, cuz i got just ideas written down for the characters but b4 i get to ahead of my self, i would like to know what i need, im not looking for the high resolution games like the new Street fighter or KOF, but i always loved the 2D fighters and i always wanted to make my own, with simple controls but still fun... i will make a small list of what i would like in the game and the experts or experienced can tell me what i need(be it reading what books, programs and such stuff)

the list of features i want in the game.
  • Weak Punch, Hard Punch, Weak Kick, Hard Kick(four basic buttons)
  • Crouch, Jump, block, dodge, counter, combos

well to make it simple an not make a full list, just think of the game King of Fighters, i dont want projectiles(since i think it be to flashy for my first game). If your asking the skills i got, well to be honest, in coding and programing... none... i been reading a book but thats just showing me a few things, but im only on page 100 from 600(the book is learning C++), But if we talking about editing sprites(not so detailed) or Photoshop, then i would say im a advance designer... ok i hope i didnt confuse anyone, but if u got any question, just ask, i will answer as fast as i can...

Programs i got already.
Photoshop Cs4
Visual Studios 2008(thanks to my girlfriend)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 2D Fighter? what do i need?

• No idea why my code works
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2D Fighter? what do i need?

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:12 AM

Well, in all honesty your really going to want to get going on the programming aspect, especially if your going to be doing your graphics in c++.

Your going to need to understand:
-OOP ( your players are objects, how do you design your code so functions affect your "players");
-basic physics ( what kinda formula looks natural in your game, how to make character jump, move)
-how to make combos see: http://www.dreaminco...h...=107468&hl= )
-collision detection ( how can you tell when player1's fist hits player2's body? (think OOP))
-obviously Graphics ( which engine you want to use to display )
-game loops ( how to navigate the game so the program doesnt abruptly end)
-input (how can a player interact, only use the keys "wasd" for movement)

Personally I think its more simple to start in a different language like Java, it has good documentation and library to get this task done. Its also an easy language to pick up. However if you like c++ go for it, it will do you well to know that as well.

if you have an editor and compiler your all set. however i urge you to plan everything on paper first and decided a methodical way to program it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:16 AM

Another thing you want to look at is what platform you want to make it for. If you want to make a PC game Dark GDK is fairly simple and is a C++ SDK. But if you want to do something for a console like xbox you will want to use XNA which is in C#.

Dark GDK
XNA

Dark GDK is free, but if you use XNA you have to pay for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

thanks u both, an i am doing this on paper, but still need lots of work for the colision, cuz in thoery i get it, but to implement in the C++, i have no clue, but im new at this, so i know i got my knowledge limits, an hawksprite, i did see dark gdk, thought it was just for FPS cuz when i went to the site, all i saw was images of FPS
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

View PostTygerX7, on 27 Dec, 2009 - 11:37 AM, said:

thanks u both, an i am doing this on paper, but still need lots of work for the colision, cuz in thoery i get it, but to implement in the C++, i have no clue, but im new at this, so i know i got my knowledge limits, an hawksprite, i did see dark gdk, thought it was just for FPS cuz when i went to the site, all i saw was images of FPS

Dark GDK is good for most any type of game really. All the coding is easy to use and for a 2D Fighting style game it could almost be perfect for you. Perfect isn't really a good word to use in programming though. Haha. But some example of the coding is like so:

Main.cpp
#include "DarkGDK.h"
#include "setup.h"
#include "moving.h"

void DarkGDK ( void )
{

setup();//calls the setup for the game
	load();//loads player
	create();//creates player
	while ( LoopGDK ( ) )
	{

collision();//collision check for player
		moving();//player moving

if ( dbEscapeKey ( ) )
			break;

dbSync ( );
	}

for ( int i = 1; i < 30; i++ )
		dbDeleteSprite ( i );

dbDeleteImage ( 1 );

return;
}

setup.h
void setup()
{
	dbSyncOn   ( );
	dbSyncRate ( 60 );
	dbDisableEscapeKey ( );
	dbRandomize ( dbTimer ( ) );
	dbLoadImage ( "data/graphics/backdrop.bmp", 1 );
	dbSprite ( 1, 0, 0, 1 );
	dbSetImageColorKey ( 255, 0, 255 );
}

moving.h
void moving()
{
	if(dbLeftKey()== 1 )
		{
			dbRotateSprite(2,90);
			dbMoveSprite(2,-3);
			dbRotateSprite(2,0);
		}

if(dbRightKey()== 1 )
		{
			dbRotateSprite(2,90);
			dbMoveSprite(2,3);
			dbRotateSprite(2,0);
		}
	if(dbUpKey()== 1 )
		{
			dbMoveSprite(2,3);
		}
	if(dbDownKey()== 1 )
		{
			dbMoveSprite(2,-3);

The setup portion of it is normally included in the main.cpp area but I like moving it just for cleanliness in my taste I guess. But basically all this does is draw a character on top of a background and lets you move around with the arrow keys. Really simple. Now if you want WASD key style movement then, the way I do it, is as so:
void playermove() 
{
	if(dbKeyState(30)== 1 )//left  A
	{
		int p_Direction = 4;
		dbRotateSprite(1000,90);
		dbMoveSprite(1000,-3);
		dbRotateSprite(1000,0);
	}

if(dbKeyState(32)== 1 )//right  D
	{
		int p_Direction = 2;
		dbRotateSprite(1000,90);
		dbMoveSprite(1000,3);
		dbRotateSprite(1000,0);
	}
	if(dbKeyState(17)== 1 )//up  W
	{
		int p_Direction = 1;
		dbMoveSprite(1000,3);
	}

if(dbKeyState(31)== 1 )//down  S
	{
		int p_Direction = 3;
		dbMoveSprite(1000,-3);
	}
}
But yes the concept is the same. :)

This post has been edited by Casundrum: 29 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

Your probably going to need a few years of programmin experience though. You can find little programs that make the game for you but they usually slow down your game when its done.

I've been programming in Java and C++ for a year and a few months now determined to become a video game developer. I'm just getting around to building my first game, and it's a small one.

To be very honest, you need experience, and a lot of it. This past year of programming hasn't been just doing whatever my teacher told me to do. I've built probably 25 programs for school in Java and C++, about 1000 more just messing around at home. And now I can only hope I'm ready to design and build my first game.

When I was just starting out, I knew I was going to have to start somewhere which is why I wasn't discouraged everytime I figured out just how much work I was going to need to do. If your honestly determined to make a small fighter game like you described above, you won't be discouraged from everything your going to hear. And I promise, you are going to realize at some point there is a ton of work that needs to be done. Reading one C++ book is great, don't get me wrong, but you are probably going to need to buy a few more books that cover different C++ topics.

Hope this helps

This post has been edited by HunterE30633: 30 December 2009 - 08:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

thanks everyone, i know i need experience, but i also like to look ahead, an on my break look for what i need, so once im done with one projecto, continue to the other, to hard code it into my brain
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

Lol I'm just like you. I've been programming in c++ for around 5 months and I have always wanted to create my own game. I use dark gdk cause I think it's easy to understand and easy to learn. I've created a small fps game where I'm holding a gun and I walk around going over the land and not through it. But to create something for the gun to shoot is pretty hard. I also made a small 2d thing where i drew 2 squares in paint and then added them into the game and I added collision to them both. Then I also had it where I could shoot a tiny little square I also created with paint. And I made collision so that the bullet didn't go through the other square and it deleted the square and the bullet. So I say you go with dark gdk because it's easy to enter sprites in, create collision, gravity, jumping, and moving. Google is your friend so if you need help with it search there.

This post has been edited by baseball435: 03 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:02 AM

View PostHunterE30633, on 30 Dec, 2009 - 07:52 AM, said:

Your probably going to need a few years of programmin experience though. You can find little programs that make the game for you but they usually slow down your game when its done.

I've been programming in Java and C++ for a year and a few months now determined to become a video game developer. I'm just getting around to building my first game, and it's a small one.

Well, just because your progression in building your first game did take over a year, and it being a small one, does not mean another person will take as long.
We all move at different paces and will progress either slower or faster.
I have been only going to college for CS - Programming and Java for 4 months, and I have started building a small text based RPG. Now, I'm starting to learn Swing, so that i can implement a GUI into my game.

May I ask why you are learning two languages? Of course It's your personal business, but I think you would progress faster if you focused on one language. I understand they can be similar, and maybe you would like to learn C++ for the gaming aspect, but take one language as far as you can and master it first imo.

Cheers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

Hey! You dont need to do any HARDCORE programming. Get M.U.G.E.N. a game that you edit. If you open it up you can change everything(i think its in C and DLLs).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1