3 Replies - 1147 Views - Last Post: 02 February 2010 - 05:18 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

The art of programming

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:40 AM

OK, so I've been learning to program for around 4-5 months and understand the basics of C# and a few of C++. I know in theory I have enough knowledge to begin on a project with the new XNA framework I've just downloaded...

Trouble is where do I begin? How many classes do I create, what classes do I create? Do any of you programming geniuses out there have a method you follow when creating a new project, or do you know of any tutorials, I feel my lack of creativity is holding me back in this new, fun and challenging activity.

As always you help is greatly appreciated.

~Pipey~

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The art of programming

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The art of programming

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:53 AM

Since you are using the XNA framework, I am sure that you want to work on a game. To start with, work with some tutorials. When you will get the grasp of the framework itself, you could think of something of your own.

There is no universal development process, but you can try following the algorithm:
  • Plan. Think of what your project is exactly about, what functionality it should provide and how it will be organized.
  • Develop. Now that you have a plan, you can start developing the project, step-by-step, following the plan you have.
  • Test. Once the development is done, test what you have for bugs and other problems.

There is no fixed number of classes you need to create. There are no classes that need to be in the project. It all is tied to the task. As you gain experience, you will see that sometimes you will create on the go, when new functionality needs to be added to the project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

Your right, I need the experience, I guess I should just dive in head first and see where it gets me :P

Thanks Core
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:18 AM

Best piece of advice is to give yourself a small starting project that will only be there to test out what you think you know.

For example with XNA game development, try coming up with a simple game idea, then plan out what it will do. Try to break it down into the most manageable chunks you can. For example, if creating a simple pong application, you will discover you need a paddle, a ball and a score. There are some classes. Make them and then categorize what the game will do. We need the ball to move so we would have a move function in the ball class and so on.

Over time you will develop a decent enough solo programming style. I have found I have learnt most of my programming skill or good practice from working with other more experienced developers, so try doing that as well. Get someone else to review your code and have a look through for you and give pointers. It is a hard thing to do but worth the effort. My current employer has a 100% code review process where every developer knows every line of code. We spend more time reviewing thn most, but we all know everything so have good common skills and a low team bus number.

Hope that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1