12 Replies - 1368 Views - Last Post: 02 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Better platform

Post icon  Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:01 PM

I have planned to study any of progrmming languages,,
may i know which is the better language to study upon???
some told as JAVA is better and some as .NET
i want to know the differences,usage,easyness and complexity of these languages so that i can make a clear decision.
is there any other progrmming platforms???
also tell your own advices...........
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Better platform

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Better platform

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:07 PM

Well there really is no this language is better than that language, all languages have their own place and use. Java is a platform independent language (can run on OSX, *nix, Windows), .Net is a Windows platform (though there is a Linux port called Mono), but both languages are equally useful, and about the same to learn (as far as Java vs C#).

There are a ton of languages/platform from Java, C#, C++, C, Haskel (and other functional languages), Python, Perl (too many to site and list), and it really comes down to what you're going to be programming, what platform you wish it to run on and what you're comfortable with.

Since this isn't really a Java specific topic, more asking advice and comparing languages I'm going to go a head and move this to Corner Cubical so developers who work woth different languages can chime in as well :)

Good luck

EDIT: Merged your topics, there's no need to open the same topic in multiple forums :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:08 PM

I have planned to study any of progrmming languages,,
may i know which is the better language to study upon???
some told as JAVA is better and some as .NET
i want to know the differences,usage,easyness and complexity of these languages so that i can make a clear decision.
is there any other progrmming platforms???
also tell your own advices...........
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

this is my general advice...
anything based off of C would be a great choice, which mainly includes C,C++, and C#. My personal favorite is C#, along with XNA for games. But C++ and C are croos-platform which means they can be used on linux,windows, ect ect. Also the speed diffrences are completly unnoticable if it is a small to medium sized application between all C languages. Of course If it is a very large game then you will see some speed and lag diffrences, the bigger the app, the more obvious the speed diffrences become. But when it comes down to it, do some research and look at all kinds of languages and choose what you are most comforable with. But I do not recomend a language, such as python, that is interpreted, although you could take a look at IronPython wich uses the .NET platform.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

If you're on Windows, and don't really care about being cross-platform, .NET is pretty great. I'm a functional programmer, so I tend to prefer the JVM because it sports more functional programming languages. Java is an okay starter language, but it really doesn't matter which platform you go with. I say go with the JVM and Java (or Clojure), but that's just bias talkin'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

wow, I am happy, this the first time I posted something, and raynes posted something, with out an argument starting between us! good day
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:28 AM

I'd choose based on what you want to program.

do you want to do robotics or hardware programming for things such as microcontrollers? Learn C.

Do you want to program games, in the sense of doing high-performance standalone graphics processing? learn C++ or objective C.

Do you just want to make games and not worry about how, exactly, your computer draws a line? learn C# or possibly Java.

Do you want to work with text and be able to 'data mine' web sites or text repositories for relevant information? learn Python or Perl.

Do you want to make web sites with dynamic content that can be generated by the users? Learn PHP or Perl.

Do you want to make online games that you play through your browser? Learn PHP and Javascript/AJAX or possibly flash/actionscript.

Do you want to make simple desktop applications for windows, such as calculators, basic painting programs or simple point-and-click games? C# is the better choice, but VB.net works. Java is also a good choice for this.

Do you want to make applications for your phone? Learn Java.

Do you want to reprogram the hardware in your computer? Learn the correct version of assembly (note: the 'assembly' language is a catch-all term for a group of similar languages which are used to program computer processors), or download an assembly compiler/simulator such as MASM32 and play with this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

@Choscura, your list is completely subjective as this topic.

It all comes down to a matter of preference and what you like and don't like in a language.

I say the best advice is to just jump in one, get a beginner book and start making some cool applications, and if you find that you don't like the language then switch to another language until you become comfortable with one you like.

You really can't make this call until you've worked with numerous languages and have found both their pros and cons.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:29 AM

It's subjective, sure, but it's based on things I've seen. The algorithm blog has covered web crawling and data mining with Python, or the Quake games' source code, written in hand-tuned C and C++- the same as the Unreal engine- without mentioning the OpenGL, DirectX, and Allegro libraries that exist (or were at least originally created) solely for C and C++.

I'll admit to not liking Java, but better programmers than I have expressed frustration with things about it too. I don't *dislike* it, I just don't like it. On the other hand, VB.Net I dislike, but some people start on it and go on to become successful programmers- and more power to 'em.

So sure, it's subjective, but look at what people are doing in the languages, it'll help you decide- at least if you already know what you want to accomplish.

This post has been edited by Choscura: 02 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

@Choscura The funny thing about your post is that all (except for 1 or 2) can be easily accomplished with C# (Especially "screen scraping", which is far easier with C# than the languages you suggest, and since I've done it with both languages I speak from experience).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

It really depends on what you want to program and your level of experience. If you want to create GUI applications for just Windows then go for a .NET language like C# or VB.NET. If you want something that will run on any platform then Java is the way to go. As long as a platform supports the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) your program can run on it. If you are looking to get into game development then I would say C to start with and then move to C++ as the industry almost exclusively uses C/C++ for game development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

@PsychoCoder: I'm a big fan of C# and (as of this post) have a program open where I'm trying to make a rudimentary screen scraper in C#. however, I've seen a significant amount of chatter about python being great for this also, and Perl as a language seems to be built for dealing with text and regular expressions.

I've come across your code and articles several times already, it's been helpful.

This post has been edited by Choscura: 02 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

C++ and Java seem to be the most popular today (because of popular demand is unknown). I personally prefer C/C++ because it's one of the most expandable languages I've encountered. I have yet to find a problem that cannot be conquered in C++ (possibly with the help of an external library), and it can be used in many different environments. You've all spoken of HLL why not go lower, the Assembly language makes an excellent base for you to begin (just don't expect all the pretty graphics), also scripting languages like Python and Perl can be good languages when used appropriately (as all languages technically can).

Flip a coin (or better yet write a program to flip a coin) and then choose your language based on the outcome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1