• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 3817 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2010 - 01:40 AM

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

I don't program in my spare time

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:37 AM

So yeah, that's it. I don't really do much programming in my spare time. Yeah, I'll pick up a language and follow some lessons, but the number of projects I have created for myself is 0. I did a website and wrote some utilities for that, I code a fair amount at work, and I of course do my projects for my course work. I consider myself a skilled enough programmer, I just don't really do it outside of what I need to use it for for others.

It just seems to me like I have so many other interests that I've already done enough coding related stuff throughout the day or week, so I do other things that I also enjoy. Is this lack of obsession going to hinder me in the workplace/later in life? I'm already wondering if corporate Computer Science is right for me after I graduate - I fear I may not be passionate enough about programming - I love it, and I enjoy doing it, but I have no drive to do it in my spare time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I don't program in my spare time

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I don't program in my spare time

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:32 AM

Maybe after coding so much throughout the day, you're just coded out? Even the most passionate programmers don't code every second of the day. I personally like to stop for food and drinks every now and then. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

I for one think it's impossible to be coded out, but then again there aren't many people in this world like me (I almost think that's a good thing :crazy: ). I mean I eat, sleep, breath, think and dream in code, it's my true passion and cannot see myself doing anything else when I grow up.

I wouldn't worry about it xclite, I know many professional programmers who code all week at work and never write a line of code in their spare time. It takes a different breed to code as much as some (like myself) do, it doesn't mean you dont enjoy or or you cant make a profession out of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

I agree I guess - It's not like I ever believe I'm sick of coding - I just don't feel the urge to do any more. Ever - no matter how much I've done. I feel almost guilty for not doing it more, but maybe I'm just worrying about nothing =p
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

by then time i get home from work, i usually dont feel like coding anymore. i wouldnt worry about it too much. i enjoy coding and do so a little bit in my free time, but not often. there are just other things i would rather do, or have to do before i have time to code in my spare time. i dont see it as a big deal as long as u can deal with it 40 hours a week, that should be plenty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

@Psychocoder: I think you'll find a few more people on this forum who can't stop coding, like myself for one. Even when I'm not in front of the computer writing code (meaning when I'm not at the house), I'll look at a situation and try to come up with an abstract algorithm for it or work on finding ways to optimize the existing algorithm :D.

Of course, @Xclite, this isn't normal; and if you aren't the same way, don't worry about it so long as you can take it for 40-60 hours/week (estimate is a little high b/c I have a feeling as a person in the IT field, you'll put in a fair amount of overtime).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 30 Dec, 2009 - 08:38 AM, said:

I for one think it's impossible to be coded out, but then again there aren't many people in this world like me (I almost think that's a good thing :crazy: ). I mean I eat, sleep, breath, think and dream in code, it's my true passion and cannot see myself doing anything else when I grow up.

I wouldn't worry about it xclite, I know many professional programmers who code all week at work and never write a line of code in their spare time. It takes a different breed to code as much as some (like myself) do, it doesn't mean you dont enjoy or or you cant make a profession out of it.

I guess I'm like you Psychocoder. I average programming for my job and for fun about 15 hours a day. I program 24/7 except when I'm playing video games, but that's only to get concepts for my XNA game. When I'm not making enterprise websites, or tools for those websites I'm developing video games, or learning something new that has come out from Microsoft for developers.

It's the only thing in the world I see myself doing (even if I only made $5/hr or less doing it). It's just so fun.

but @xclite, don't worry bout it, just as Psychocoder was mentioning I as well know many coders from different development companies that got their degree to be in the field and don't code a single line of code off the clock.

However, if you don't like this then find your second breathe of programming wind (if you need it) and learn something in your spare-time just as you would in your office, make a fake budget, and a deadline to make it, and see how well you followed it.

This post has been edited by coden4fun: 30 December 2009 - 10:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

I never really sat down and thought about it, but I too have zero things I have programmed in my spare time. I guess I do it all day at work I really donít want to do it while I am at home I have too many other things I would rather be doing with my time.

edit i have done a couple small websites for people out side of work
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

You don't try to program every second of the day? Whats wrong with you. Coding isn't a career, it's a lifestyle, you gotta love what you do. Getting a long awaited compile error to be silenced or finished a 500 line function, there is nothing like it.

Although on the side I enjoy biking and flying so coding probably just isn't your highest ranking hobby. Making it a career juts puts more pressure on you so you think you have to overachieve and live a programmers lifestyle. Not true, you enjoy coding because you enjoy it, not because it's a good job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:02 PM

Just because you dont spend every minute every day trying to make something or work on programming doesnt mean youre not passionate about it.

We're humans even those of us who dont admit we like human interaction. We would like to have other hobbies and a social life but we know what we're good at and so we dont stray to far from home. I love to code dont get me wrong and Im not all the time reading something about computers or programming or even coding just for the hell of it. When I come home I like to relax with my gf, go out and have a good time with friends and I enjoy many hobbies like sports, paintball, fishing and more.

Its good to have a job you like so if youre saying that you hate it during the day when you are doing it then yes I would say you should maybe take a step back and look at your options and be sure you dont mind working in that field. When youre home though thats your time to do as you please, whether it be coding, watching movies, or going out. Thats your time and just because you dont code all the time doesnt mean that its the wrong area for it.

As long as you like doing it while youre working even if the money sucks.

That just my opinion though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

Well the comments are certainly encouraging. I'm not saying I'm upset that I don't code in all of my spare time, but I just feel like I should do more of it. Most of my interviews have asked what projects I've worked on outside of work/school, so it seems like it's expect. My current job is pretty good - they challenge me and there's always something new.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:59 PM

I dont think I would program all of the time even if I could. That just isnt what life is about for me. Life is about enjoying it, and coding is only part of that puzzle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Occasional Member

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

I've done about one project on my own outside of work/school. I've been thinking about the same thing as you lately. I really enjoy programming and I can't imagine another career, but I just can't get motivated to take on a personal project. Over the winter break I was going to try to start something, anything, just have some project. But my reading list keeps getting bigger and I never seem to have the time to work on it... and getting to bed before midnight is actually kind of nice...

I guess I need some incentive to program, and I don't program just for the joy of it. I do enjoy it, but there are other things I enjoy too. It's not a bad situation actually. Go to work and do something you enjoy, then come home and do other things you enjoy.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

If you love it, you can't do 'too much' of it. It's as simple as that.

All is not lost, however. If you begin to get really good at something, you can learn to love that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:13 AM

It's never been a too much thing - just an enough thing. I could always do more and I never get sick of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +