• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 3369 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2010 - 01:40 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I don't program in my spare time

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:23 AM

I'm a complete code addict. I code all day long, and I come here for a bit more. I also do Project Euler on the side (which I recommend if you're actually worried that you're not coding on your spare time, that gives you an objective), and I have 2 or 3 personal projects that probably have no chance of launching, but hey, it's for fun. I have also been involved in some open source projects, but not so much anymore these days.

Having had the recruiter's hat, I do expect candidates to be as passionate as I am (or at least show some interest in coding other than the classic skills you would expect), and certainly coding on your spare time is a plus.

This post has been edited by EdwinNameless: 31 December 2009 - 07:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:37 AM

When I started out, it was all code, all the time for the sheer passion and love of coding.

Then I landed a full-time job in the field and it was still all code, all the time, but it was no longer out of a passion to do it... it was out of necessity. My full-time job wasn't paying enough to cover the bills so I was pimping myself out on freelance projects to make ends meet (no2 has taken advantage of this desperation a time or two :P).

Now, however, I have a job doing what I love AND making sufficient money to cover all the bills, throw a little in savings, put some aside for spending cash and still have a little left over. I no longer HAVE to code all the time and I find myself not coding. I love what I do. I love my job. But I find when I get home, there are more important things to tend to than coding for personal amusement.

It doesn't make me any less passionate about the code, I've just started learning how to leave work at work and attempt to have a life outside the office.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

I'm a complete code addict. I code all day long, and I come here for a bit more. I also do Project Euler on the side (which I recommend if you're actually worried that you're not coding on your spare time, that gives you an objective), and I have 2 or 3 personal projects that probably have no chance of launching, but hey, it's for fun. I have also been involved in some open source projects, but not so much anymore these days.

Having had the recruiter's hat, I do expect candidates to be as passionate as I am (or at least show some interest in coding other than the classic skills you would expect), and certainly coding on your spare time is a plus.

there is a diffrence between passion and obsesion

i realize I spelled obsesion wrong, who cares
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

View PostTheaegd, on 1 Jan, 2010 - 08:23 AM, said:

i realize I spelled obsesion wrong, who cares

My Firefox spellchecker.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

i used to code all the time when i first started out..but nowadays i spend more time reading and studying theoretical computer science, and try to find interesting ways to solve problems.. even now when i write some code its usually a plain algorithm to solve some problem rather than a software that you can actually use..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:40 AM

View PostTheaegd, on 1 Jan, 2010 - 03:23 PM, said:

Yes, I tried to explain that to my wife. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0