5 Replies - 2374 Views - Last Post: 02 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

future of java jobs

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hi , i will be starting my second semester in java programming, my school for some reason teaches java almost in every course, for example , the web development class, is with java, using jsp, servlets, and hibernate.

my question is:
should i really focus in javaEE , and web development with java, or should i start learning php, mysql, LAMP in other words. also should i learn .NET ?

i have to pick 2 concentrations from these 4 fields: Network administration, web development(ASP.NET) , database administration, unix/linux system administration.

i will complete the unix/linux system administration field this semester, i need to pick another concentration , the problem is that i like both web development and network administration, i cant decide yet

which languages and technologies will have the most prominent future in the next 5 years?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: future of java jobs

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: future of java jobs

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

i have the same problem.. job opportunities..im targeting outsource company here in our country.. mostly they demand c++/.net /php programmer.. im wondering which field of any language i mention earlier will i master have and edge in the companies that im targeting .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

I would try to learn both Java EE and PHP, though you'll need SQL of some flavor (be it MySQL, PostgreSQL or another engine) when doing web work. Now when you go to pick another concentration, I would actually pick Database because out of all the other concentrations, it is the most universal (every business with computers uses a Database of some sort).

which languages and technologies will have the most prominent future in the next 5 years?

Your guess is as good as mine for programming. However, for data storage, SQL isn't going anywhere and XML is becoming increasingly popular. Really though, throughout your career in IT you will have to learn new languages, so as long as you know the concept of programming, transitioning between languages won't be too big of a deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Since this isn't a Java programming question I'm going to move this to the Corner Cubical forum :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

I agree with macosxnerd101 on the most part. I always think that while your young, you should get to grips with as many languages and technologies as you can. Remember, you are not restricted to what the school teaches you. You could learn .net by yourself, quite simple to follow and good tutorials out there.

As for five years time, the liklihood is that we are going to be a cloud computing nation. Check up on it, cloud computing. It is causing a stir not seens since the introduction of the world wide web. Its too big a topic to go into, but whether you will still need stuff like sql when it arrives can be debated. People might disagree with this, people might not, we just have to wait and see.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

Java isn't going anywhere for a long long time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1