• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

How Good are my qualifications?

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

So I have:

High School Diploma From Lane Tech College Prep

Truman College Chicago, IL

Associate of Applied Science: Networking Emphasis in Network Security and Server Administration
Advanced Certificate: In Computer Science only 15 Credits short of Getting Associate of Applied Science in Computer Science Emphasis in Software Engineering
Advanced Certificate: In Web Development (PHP,MySQL,Ruby things like that)
Sun Java Certified Programmer (SCJP)
CompTIA: Network+, A+

Goals:

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
CIW: Security Analyst
CIW: Associate
MCSE, and MCDBA.
Comptia Server+, Linux+

Long Term Goals:
Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert
Associates in Business Administration
Bachelors in Networking

I currently work at a data center, as a Server Technician @ 20.00 An hour.

What type of jobs can I possibly get in future? Examples please if you do not mind, also how good am I in the Job market with what I have, and with what I am planning to achieve?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How Good are my qualifications?

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How Good are my qualifications?

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

Could you possibly tell me with your Server Technician job what you currently do?

IMO, when I look for people the last thing I look at is their education qualifications.

Could you give me examples, blog post that you have on the side that you write or any non-work related server stuff you do that I can see you put an honest effort into this every day either at work or not?

and below is the reason why.

1.) Jobs completed and longivity of the work
2.) References
3.) What have you done outside of education to learn
4.) Educational past

Here is why I look for those in that order.

1.) If you have completed some really nice medium to large scale projects either by yourself or working on a team, then I already that you have the discipline to finish the task.

2.) If you have good references that are referencing your previous work, and they're really great references, then I'm building a trust
with your past accomplishments and who I think you are before I even meet you.

3.) If I see blogs, tutorials, code snippets on another website that I can look at that shows me good clean quality code (or in your case a technical paper or 2), and I can see that you're doing it correctly, then I'm going to think that you definitely know what you're doing.

If you pass these 3 cirtieria for me chances are I'm not even going to look at your educational requirements.

This is what happened to me, and I'm going to take a leap here and say there are many IT, SD, companies that do the same.

This post has been edited by coden4fun: 03 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1