4 Replies - 1371 Views - Last Post: 04 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

• N00by VB.NET Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

How would I "get" the text from this scroll pane thing?

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hello, I was wondering whether someone would be willing to look at a thing and tell me where I found find more information about that "control"

Do you see the little model of a hockey rink? Right under it, there is a box which updates live with new "rectangles" of text... I would say it's like a list box which changes it's selected index on mouse overs. I was wondering if I could "get" the new rectangles of text (as a string) that appear in it without having to select/copy all the text on the webpage and having to do crazy string manipulation.

I looked at the page's source (html) and could not find those pieces of text anywhere in it, if I could, I would have just downloaded the page's source every second and done simple string manipulation to find what I wanted.

How would I go about looking in the source code to find what the "source" of all that text is. Or if you could possibly suggest a way to easily "get" those pieces of text, that would be very helpful. :) My goal is to get that information into a string array within my desktop application (VB.NET) every few seconds, but if that is too hard, I'll try to find another website (to get the text)

Attached Image

EDIT: I used the "inspect element" thing in Google chrome, and it's called a "gcIceTracker play by play scroll pane" or something, and the things in it are called like "events"... That doesn't help though, I want to get something like the text in the "events"

Oh, and I was confused as to where to put this topic, feel free to move it to a more "narrow" forum.

This post has been edited by LeisureProgrammer: 03 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How would I "get" the text from this scroll pane thing?

• N00by VB.NET Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How would I "get" the text from this scroll pane thing?

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

Anyone?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

Probably using xml and xml parsing. (AJAX) though I'm no pro myself at the technology.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• N00by VB.NET Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

So I should hunt for xml files in the source code, and one of them, when parsed, will make it easier for me to "get" the info?

This post has been edited by LeisureProgrammer: 03 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

View PostLeisureProgrammer, on 3 Jan, 2010 - 05:04 PM, said:

So I should hunt for xml files in the source code, and one of them, when parsed, will make it easier for me to "get" the info?

Because this data is dynamically generated by the server and the parsed out using javascript, I don't know if there will be any way you can grab this data. You may want to look into data mining, however BEFORE you do, make sure it's ok with the NHL to grab that data. My guess is it's copyrighted and they don't want you getting that :D

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1