3 Replies - 1028 Views - Last Post: 03 January 2010 - 09:30 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Your first time learning PHP?

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

I am a student and i want to be a web developer when i graduate. This interest came from self learning css and xhtml first. I like to design website and afterwards i want to be able to do dynamic pages in php so I learn php during my free time as my school don't teach php and i am fortunate to have an account from my lecturer for lynda.com where i learn php from the video tutorial.

I do know some really basic stuff but most of the time i forget most of the stuff i learn. For example i can't remember how to make a database connection now even though i just follow the vid tutorial yesterday, i got to refer to something to recall it....

Right now i'm following the vid to make a really simple cms just to store data in mysql and to grab it and display on a webpage...when i'm following the vid, i "think" i know what is going on but once i off the vid and awhile later, i forget how to do it unless i watch the vid again.

Sometimes i think twice if i can be a web developer because i was never good at programming, i absolute hate java and i have no interest in it but i am interested in php but still not good at it and the only thing that i am good at is css which i can code without refering...but css is easy stuff unlike php.

Really can you pros out there share how is it like the first time you learn php? can you like code every single thing without refering to any tutorial ??

This post has been edited by aklo: 03 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Your first time learning PHP?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Your first time learning PHP?

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

I have been programming with PHP for about 5 years, and when I first started out, I couldn't remember how to do the basics, I constantly had to look at code that others gave me or that I did myself, but that is just how you learn.

Now I can do a lot without having to refer to anything, but that is because I have been coding for years, but I still refer to www.php.net from time to time to make sure I am calling the functions right (right parameter order) and sometimes at comments on the php.net pages.

All I can really say is, keep on trying and that www.php.net is your friend :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:43 PM

I 2nd http://php.net, as it is a wonderful resource provided by the authors of the language.

I 1st got into PHP because I had picked up some work that was too much for cgi-bin coding in C or Perl. I was told the language had a lot of similarities to C, so I gave it a shot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• // Note to self: hmphh .... I forgot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

yep yep that site is a savior sometimes :)

If your starting out with a CMS and maybe by chance your learning along side using classes. One thing i did right away when i figured out the basics of mysql was build my own class that is dynamic enough to be reusable anywhere with a change of database name, username and password. This way you can simply reuse, modify for the use and/or have everything in front of you so forgetting simply is put out of the equation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1