6 Replies - 1245 Views - Last Post: 07 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

#1 typhovision  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 06-January 10

Web Development

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:25 AM

I m looking at Devry for Computer Information Systems with focus on Web Development and Administration. Im currently doing Sales and Customer service and looking for a change. I have always been intrested in the internet, im very computer savy and figured it was a good fit.
1st. Is Devry recognized by most employers?
2nd. What type of jobs/pay would i be able to get into with this specialty?







-----------------------------------------------

website development Toronto

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Development

#2 arthurakay  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 22
  • View blog
  • Posts: 226
  • Joined: 17-February 09

Re: Web Development

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

View Posttyphovision, on 6 Jan, 2010 - 04:25 AM, said:

I m looking at Devry for Computer Information Systems with focus on Web Development and Administration. Im currently doing Sales and Customer service and looking for a change. I have always been intrested in the internet, im very computer savy and figured it was a good fit.
1st. Is Devry recognized by most employers?
2nd. What type of jobs/pay would i be able to get into with this specialty?


You don't really even need a degree to start working as a developer - relevant experience will trump a degree every day of the week.

That being said, if you have zero experience then taking classes is probably a nice start (and Devry is probably fine). However it all depends on what you want to do...

"Web Development" encompasses many areas: graphic design, database administration, client-side code (HTML/CSS/Javascript), server-side code (PHP/.NET). If I were you, I'd think about what you'd like to do because database administration differs a whole lot from client-side code.

I don't know how much experience you have, but if you're just starting out I would check out some online tutorials for client-side code and build yourself a website. Try w3schools.com

As for pay... web developers have a wide pay scale depending on what you do. Entry level Client-side coders make 30-40k, while skilled developers and DB administrators can make 100+k. It also depends on your area of the country - CA probably pays more than say WI for the same work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 BenignDesign  Icon User is offline

  • holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon




Reputation: 7459
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,061
  • Joined: 28-September 07

Re: Web Development

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

View Postarthurakay, on 6 Jan, 2010 - 11:30 AM, said:

As for pay... web developers have a wide pay scale depending on what you do. Entry level Client-side coders make 30-40k, while skilled developers and DB administrators can make 100+k. It also depends on your area of the country - CA probably pays more than say WI for the same work.


Where do you live!??! I want one of these 100+K/year skilled developer gigs!

In my neck of the woods, an entry level coder makes 15-20K. A skilled developer or DB admin can pull in 45-65K.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 arthurakay  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 22
  • View blog
  • Posts: 226
  • Joined: 17-February 09

Re: Web Development

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 6 Jan, 2010 - 09:36 AM, said:

Where do you live!??! I want one of these 100+K/year skilled developer gigs!

In my neck of the woods, an entry level coder makes 15-20K. A skilled developer or DB admin can pull in 45-65K.


I live outside Chicago. I won't say there are many jobs out here for developers to make 100k or more, but I've seen plenty for Senior ___ Developer for 90k. I've also seen jobs posted for high level DB admins making 120k. The point is that you're highly skilled... 10+ years experience and being an expert in something useful (like security or software architecture).

On the other hand, you could do freelance/contract work and easily make more than 100k a year. You'll work you ass off, but not impossible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 BenignDesign  Icon User is offline

  • holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon




Reputation: 7459
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,061
  • Joined: 28-September 07

Re: Web Development

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:56 AM

View Postarthurakay, on 6 Jan, 2010 - 11:52 AM, said:

you could do freelance/contract work and easily make more than 100k a year. You'll work you ass off, but not impossible.


Loss of ass doesn't sound like easy money to me. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

  • Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

Reputation: 6547
  • View blog
  • Posts: 30,678
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: Web Development

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:03 AM

Since this topic is about schools & not about actual web design concepts, I moved it to Student Campus.

View Posttyphovision, on 6 Jan, 2010 - 05:25 AM, said:

1st. Is Devry recognized by most employers?

Devry is more of a business than a school. Just like ITT & the many other "tech" schools out there, they pass most students that can afford to pay the bill. It's my experience that the degree from these types of schools is like a junk degree. It is still a degree, but an entry one & not held as high as a University degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 dcfan40  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 20-December 09

Re: Web Development

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

My one piece of advice is maybe taking one class at a local community college to see if you enjoy it then looking into a different college if you choose. I currently have a masters in CIS and plan on taking one class starting this month at a local community college and if I like it I plan on enrolling in a masters program in the fall. I am interested in going to Brandeis University and they have a combination of online as well as in person classes that I can attend. This may be something you can consider. Not sure where you live but a lot of schools have this combination of learning. I am sure others here have done this type of learning and I really look forward to doing this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1