14 Replies - 1937 Views - Last Post: 10 January 2010 - 09:53 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Beginner In (game) programmin!

Post icon  Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:08 AM

I need ur advice..Im 20 yo student in CS and JUST started with programming. Actually i got this book SAMS TEACH YOURSELF BEGINNING PROGRAMMING IN 24H...I am learning Liberty Basic and i bought couple of books for C++

You Got IT!! I want to learn game programming.. Am i starting right? What do you recommend?
Am i too late to start game programming? (Considering of the younger age many people started:late childhood... Tell me the truth as painful as it is :D )...

Any tips of how to study programming language?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beginner In (game) programmin!

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Beginner In (game) programmin!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:19 AM

Considering that you already have C++ books, I think you should start with C++ instead of starting with this "Liberty Basic" that I never heard of.

And first learn to program, forget the game development. To do a real game you have to be good at programming, both in the language knowledge and the logic.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:27 AM

View Postanonymouscodder, on 7 Jan, 2010 - 03:19 AM, said:

Considering that you already have C++ books, I think you should start with C++ instead of starting with this "Liberty Basic" that I never heard of.

And first learn to program, forget the game development. To do a real game you have to be good at programming, both in the language knowledge and the logic.

Good luck.

OOPS!! I already learned Liberty Basic :P ..and i finished it...in fact, TODAY i started with C++...thanx anyway 4 ur answer..appreciate it :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:39 AM

View PostGreek89, on 7 Jan, 2010 - 03:08 AM, said:

I am a 20 year old student.
Am I to late to start game programming?

Your kidding right! your only 20 years old, your not to late to start doing anything.

Anonymous Coder is right, try learning some C++. I also have never heard of Liberty Basic.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

if it helps i brought a book few years ago teach yourself c++ 21 days of course i never learned the complete language in 21 but i learned the basics and have build on them over the last few years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

You're never too old to learn :D

Just keep on reading your C++ books. Then when you're finished, read some more books! Make sure you read up on Object Oriented Programming, pointers, templates, and data structures. Then after that, you can think about picking up a beginners game programming book.

Learn learn learn!

This post has been edited by Fib: 07 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

View PostgrnEyeDvl, on 7 Jan, 2010 - 07:52 AM, said:

if it helps i brought a book few years ago teach yourself c++ 21 days of course i never learned the complete language in 21 but i learned the basics and have build on them over the last few years.

Yes i know what you talking about.. i bought a similar last week...it is so far one of the best books for C++ going with every lil'detail
its SAMS books:

http://www.amazon.co...d=2B0AUSQ8S4F0F
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

It is great to hear that you want to get into game programming. You are never too old to start at this. Many people are starting young, I started at 10, but all you really need is a desire to learn and a passion for programming. If you are truly interested in becoming a game programmer I would recommend that you read the Game Development Career Tips thread here. It has a lot of advice for people not only interested in being a professional game developer but in getting started with game programming itself.

Once you've started programming games I would recommend also that you read the Tips For Making Games Fun thread.

You will hear a lot of people say learn this language or learn that language. In truth, to start out choose a language that you like. Keep in mind, if you want a job at a company that develops games you will more than likely end up using C++ in your job, or possibly just plain-jane C for some things.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

C++ is a great language to start with. Its probably also one of the harder ones, but once you've mastered C++, learning the other languages (java, python, c#) should be a sinch. Now once you've finished with some C++ basics, I'd start game programming by writing some simple word based games, and then some old school games like "snake", or "tic tac toe" just to get used to the nature of game programming (it can be quite different from normal application programming).

Learning to deal with graphics is a whole subject by itself, so I'd really recommend using some type of game engine first. HGE (Haaf game engine) is great for 2D graphics, and you can look into Irrlicht or WildMagic4 for a decent open source 3D game engine. Once you're comfortable with that, consider learning SDL, OpenGL, or DirectX so you can write your own renderer/game engine. Good luck and have fun!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

View PostGreek89, on 7 Jan, 2010 - 02:08 AM, said:

I need ur advice..Im 20 yo student in CS and JUST started with programming. Actually i got this book SAMS TEACH YOURSELF BEGINNING PROGRAMMING IN 24H...I am learning Liberty Basic and i bought couple of books for C++

You Got IT!! I want to learn game programming.. Am i starting right? What do you recommend?
Am i too late to start game programming? (Considering of the younger age many people started:late childhood... Tell me the truth as painful as it is :D )...

Any tips of how to study programming language?

If you really want to start designing games, use a game engine. I use "Multimedia Fusion Developer 2". That is if you don't mind shelling out some green.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:06 AM

Personally I wouldn't recommend C++ to a game developer beginner unless you've been doing programming in the past. C++ to me is a tough language to understand even now. I would recommend using Java or Flash as a starter language, make some games in with those languages then if your Game Developement Career takes off, move on to C++, it would definitely help the learning curve.

I have tried C++ many times in the past and always switch to a simpler, more easy to understand language.

Just a thought!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

View PostXyled777, on 10 Jan, 2010 - 12:06 AM, said:

Personally I wouldn't recommend C++ to a game developer beginner unless you've been doing programming in the past. C++ to me is a tough language to understand even now. I would recommend using Java or Flash as a starter language, make some games in with those languages then if your Game Developement Career takes off, move on to C++, it would definitely help the learning curve.

I have tried C++ many times in the past and always switch to a simpler, more easy to understand language.

Just a thought!

Don't talk bollocks.

Greek89 there is only one way to become a games developer and that is to learn and understand everything that goes into making a game. This is what i suggest you learn (in order).

1) C++, yes, as mentioned by Xyled it is very complicated. C++ uses things such as pointers, Java does not. Its like learning to drive, you can learn in an auto (Java) and be restricted to driving only in the colonies or you can drive a manual (C++) and be a world class driver. C++ is also the language mainly used in game engines.

2) Use a game engine, have a play. A really good one is the Unreal engine, comes bundled with UT. This will give you a feel of level design and scripting.

3) openGL. It's easier to use than DirectX but not better or worse, just easier to learn. In my personal opinion.

The above 3 should take a good year to learn and a good 3 years to become proficient. Remember that game logic in c++ must always be separate from graphical logic written in say, openGL. Keeping the two separate from one another makes the code easier to maintain.

Another little detail worth mentioning is, every time i use openGL or DirectX...its written in c++, so give yourself a head start and stick to c++.

Once you get to the openGL stage, you will notice use of the WIN API. The WIN API is there so you can create programs that run within windows etc, like windows.

If you want to look into DirectX instead of openGL then stick to DirectX 9. 10 changed alot of things and although easier to use (for me) 9 is still easier to learn with.

Kohana x
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

View PostKohana, on 10 Jan, 2010 - 07:01 AM, said:

View PostXyled777, on 10 Jan, 2010 - 12:06 AM, said:

Just a thought!

Don't talk bollocks.

Greek89 there is only one way to become a games developer and that is to learn and understand everything that goes into making a game. This is what i suggest you learn (in order).

1) C++, yes, as mentioned by Xyled it is very complicated. C++ uses things such as pointers, Java does not. Its like learning to drive, you can learn in an auto (Java) and be restricted to driving only in the colonies or you can drive a manual (C++) and be a world class driver. C++ is also the language mainly used in game engines.

2) Use a game engine, have a play. A really good one is the Unreal engine, comes bundled with UT. This will give you a feel of level design and scripting.

3) openGL. It's easier to use than DirectX but not better or worse, just easier to learn. In my personal opinion.

The above 3 should take a good year to learn and a good 3 years to become proficient. Remember that game logic in c++ must always be separate from graphical logic written in say, openGL. Keeping the two separate from one another makes the code easier to maintain.

Another little detail worth mentioning is, every time i use openGL or DirectX...its written in c++, so give yourself a head start and stick to c++.

Once you get to the openGL stage, you will notice use of the WIN API. The WIN API is there so you can create programs that run within windows etc, like windows.

If you want to look into DirectX instead of openGL then stick to DirectX 9. 10 changed alot of things and although easier to use (for me) 9 is still easier to learn with.

Kohana x

interesting approach
however from all the words u said in this message, the only i understood was C++ and Java :P ...im a very beginner and im not quite sure what a game engine is.

I was thinking to start with C++ also but i got so confused cause some peole are saying "NO CAUSE ITS COMPLICATED FOR BEGINNERS" while others say to start from that
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

View PostKohana, on 10 Jan, 2010 - 07:01 AM, said:

Don't talk bollocks.

How can it be bollocks, if its my opinion and it describes the approach I personally used over the last 5 years of game programming?

All I'm saying is...
Trying to tackle understanding Game programming design, structures, ideas and implementations while trying to learn C++ is quite an undertaking. Why not lesson the load and learn an easier language first, it may make it easier to understand all the concepts of Game Design and then when a person feels comfortable with each, they may move on to more complicated and advanced things like C++.

My recommended approach, since you've stated that your unfamiliar with a game engine is the following
Pick an easy language to start with (I would recommend Java)
Pick an easy IDE to use for developing games. (I would recommend JCreator)
Create the standard "Hello world app"
Then Pick an easy game to make (I would recommend pong)
Search online for tutorials on how to create a pong game in java.
Use the search engine to find out anything you need.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:53 PM

View PostKohana, on 10 Jan, 2010 - 10:01 AM, said:

Don't talk bollocks.

Kohana x

A couple of things to add.

1) You can write OpenGL programs without ever touching the Windows API, check out freeglut.

2) Direct3D code is very ugly in my opinion, but there are a lot of things that are built-in to Direct3D that you have to write yourself with OpenGL.

3) DirectX != Direct3D, Direct3D (like OpenGL) is just for graphics. A better comparison would be Direct3D => SDL

4) Java and C++ both have their benefits and cons, but it's worth pointing out that you can use OpenGL in Java.

Overall though I agree: learn a language before you try to learn graphics, sound, or anything else that is required for game programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1