Page 1 of 1

1 Replies - 542 Views - Last Post: 07 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Hello World!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:04 PM

Hi all,

Well I am finally getting around to introducing myself. I am a novice programmer, and am brand new (less than 6 months) to C#. I am a mechanical engineer by education, and am currently working as a Plant Manager at a power plant. I am using my coding skills, what few there are, to develop programs to track the data my staff keeps in spreadsheets and miscellaneous files all over our server.
My experience in programming:

Fortran 77 - yes, I was actually quite good at it at one time, though I probably couldn't develop a "Hello World!" program now.
Visual Basic - Not great, but I could make it work.
VBA - this was my strong suit. While by no means an expert programer, I usually peppered my spreadsheets with lots of it.
- I used VBA a lot with OSIsoft's PI server if anyone ever needs some help.
C# - less than six months, but have managed to develop one program to help us track information around the plant.

I am currently using my job programming to learn as much as I can so I can develop a couple of programs for market. There are several programs for the power industry that collect data from many plants throughout the country, with very poor programs to help with it. I am hoping that I can change that.

The most unussual thing about me is that I have 4 kids. I don't think it is all that unussual, but most of the people I meet are amazed by it for some reason. Oh, and yes they are all from one woman, my lovely wife of almost 17 years!

Anyway, I hope I don't annoy folks with my million questions, but I will also be trying to post any solutions that I come up with as I ask.

Thanks,

Ed.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello World!

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello World!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

Welcome to Dream.In.Code

Thanks for joining Dream.In.Code, hope to see you around the forums someday :)

You have just stepped into the greatest programming community on the Internet, we have experts for just about every mainstream language, and even some languages that aren't so mainstream, so the level of expertise is second to none. All will be more than willing to help, as long as you too are willing to put forth the effort to solve your problem, and to go along the road to becoming a better programmer smile.gif

I would like to ask that when making a programming question that you first place your code inside code tags like this :code: . This makes it much easier to read through large pieces of code, and keeps your post a little more organized.

When posting a programming question first make sure you're in the first forum, then make sure you provide as much information as you can think of that would make it easier for a 2nd pair of eyes to help you debug your issue.

If you happen to get bored (I know, it's real hard to do here) you can check out our Off Topic Caafeine Lounge, the Corner Cubical, dedicated to industry talk, or the Student Campus, dedicated to all things for students.

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact myself or another staff member, and we will be more then happy to answer any questions you might have.

-Richard
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1