Doc/View Architecture Help

need a new brain, anyone got a spare????

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 554 Views - Last Post: 11 January 2010 - 05:31 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Doc/View Architecture Help

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:12 AM

Hello all,

Once again i seek the aid of all those with a better brain than my own.

I am attempting to write a SDI program. I am currently styling it along the lines of Outlook, with toolbar/menubar across the top, the "outlook bar" down the left side, a class view/file view/list view thingy to the right of the "outlook bar", a status bar across the bottom and the rest of the screen dedicated to showing info. Down the road (if the road doesnt end with me putting something solid through my computer), I plan to have multiple screens that will all open 1 at a time depending on which button gets clicked. With all screens displaying in the same area of the screen (think along the lines of word or something, all documents are shown in the same area. Unlike word though all my screens will be of different formats).

This is my first foray into the doc/view architecture and SDI/MDI type applications so I am taking everything slowly and only dealing with certain aspects at a time. First problem was how to use the "outlook bar" ......... am I the only person out here that thinks the MSDN documentation is severely lacking? ...... anyways, i got somewhere with that. Now I want to make one of the buttons I added to the "outlook bar" do something useful.

The useful thing I am trying to get it to do is to display a load of information in the "information" section of the screen ............ It was at this point that the always lovely thought occured to me "how the f$#% do i do that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" ............ being a child of the "make 50 million dialog boxes and link them together" applications I am at a complete loss as to how to accomplish this task. I have looked at whatever tutorials/walkthroughs/help files I can find, but have been unable to find the part that says "the following lines make this view appear on the screen".

Being that my document will be a database, I was thinking of having 1 document class to handle all of the database connectivity and data sorting and then multiple views to handle the displaying of the relevant data in a format that is condusive to easy reading.

Am I looking at this the right way? Can anyone point me in the right direction of a decent tutorial that I can look at to get a feel for what needs to be done?

If you need further information about what I am trying to do, hit me up and Ill see if I can make it clearer.

Thank you all in advance
Bidski

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Doc/View Architecture Help

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Doc/View Architecture Help

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:50 AM

can anyone help? sorry if my explanation seems a little convoluted, never been the best at explaining stuff.

Bidski
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Doc/View Architecture Help

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:31 AM

www.codeproject.com has a wealth of MFC tutorials, functions, and programs that you can learn from. It has probably the largest repository of MFC information on the web.

MFC already has a database document class -- CDatabase

This post has been edited by Ancient Dragon: 11 January 2010 - 05:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1