• +
  • Last »

65 Replies - 8371 Views - Last Post: 20 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

What antivirus program do you use?

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

I'm just curious in seeing what antivirus program people use. I currently use Avast Basic Home Edition, and it has worked real well. I haven't gotten any problems with my computer, and I do a check and a restore point about every 2 weeks.

I was curious I knew Microsoft had enetered with an Antivirus program, but I couldn't recall the name of it, so I'm not sure how to go look for it, but I believe it's only $30/monthly?

Also I was going to try Avast Pro, but didn't know if I would see any big difference in the Home version vs the Professional version. Please if someone has the Pro version let me know.

Also, I am finally get my first dedicated server (through company), but that just means I'll order one for myself later in the year, and even though it has anti-vrius program already installed I was wondering if the community here mostly those developers who work on enterprise solutions and has dedicated servers running could tell me what the best anti-virus program for a server would be.

Well that is all. Thank you! :^:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What antivirus program do you use?

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What antivirus program do you use?

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

I install Avast home on all of our customers machines.

I want to say that the Pro version comes with some sort of support, & can be installed a number of machines, where as the home version can only be installed on the machine which that it was registered with.

Microsoft does have an Antivirus, but I think that it's hilarious that the OS with the fault thinks that for some reason they charge money to patch the OS of the software that they released with the crappy security. & I'm not just saying this as a Linux fanboy, I think it's a horrible business practice. If you can secure the OS, then f*king do it. Don't charge extra for it!

"here, have some shoddy code we wrote, but for $30 a month you can get the better version".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

Common sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

Windows Live One Care This is one I was referring to. What a f-cking joke.

But Microsoft does have a free antivirus program no2pencil Microsoft Essentials

I kinda want to test drive it and see if it's any good, but I'm already very satisfied with my Avast. :^:

View PostRaynes, on 8 Jan, 2010 - 04:34 PM, said:

Common sense.

If you're referring to common sense as not going to any particular websites that might be "fishy" I don't, for I am a developer and most the time I program. Also, read the full post I'm wanting and more interested in Server Anti-virus programs which I can't always be at my server maintaining and making sure nothing wrong is happening.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

AVG security package (had Avast before, neither seems to matter), I don't pick up a lot of viruses overall so there's actually not much to stop. I don't download that much data so the ratio is fairly low.

Microsoft doesn't have to have business plan (nor a good product these days) they have there finger in just about everything and enough funds to back themselves up if a deal goes sour. Ya M$ with all that is hated will still be able to release whatever they want and people will still buy it (unfortunately).

btw @Raynes common sense doesn't cut it with the evolution of the internet, if you can see through the masks that the internet hides behind without any external applications, then you sir, are a god.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

I have Trend Micro installed, due to my dad randomly buying things. The subscription ends in April, at which point I will uninstall it instantly. It's a piece of crap bloatware that's given me at least 3 BSODs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and I must say that is seems to have a smaller footprint than a lot of OS programs I have used. Microsoft Live One Call is just a joke. I tried Avast Home and thought it was a joke personally so I switched to NOD32, then when I decided to try Security Essentials I haven't went back
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

@Psychocoder, Thanks for the input I shall check it out tonight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

View PostGenHornet18, on 8 Jan, 2010 - 04:56 PM, said:

btw @Raynes common sense doesn't cut it with the evolution of the internet, if you can see through the masks that the internet hides behind without any external applications, then you sir, are a god.

I lol'd so hard on that one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

@PsychoCoder I actually disable Trend Micro as soon as the computer boots up, and load up Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a surprisingly good program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

Avast Professional
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

View Postcoden4fun, on 8 Jan, 2010 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostRaynes, on 8 Jan, 2010 - 04:34 PM, said:

Common sense.

If you're referring to common sense as not going to any particular websites that might be "fishy" I don't, for I am a developer and most the time I program. Also, read the full post I'm wanting and more interested in Server Anti-virus programs which I can't always be at my server maintaining and making sure nothing wrong is happening.

My post was more of a joke than anything. Though, it does bear some truth.

View PostGenHornet18, on 8 Jan, 2010 - 04:56 PM, said:

When I used Windows, I used Avast home edition. Never had/detected a 'real' virus. Common sense has always worked for me. May not work for everybody, but it certainly plays an important role. My post was still more of a joke than anything, really.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

Malware Bytes
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

I run linux. I've never gotten a virus on it. On my Windows machine, I have established that Trend Micro and McAfee are both crap.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

Youll wont believe me but doesnt make it any less true. I use Vista ultimate before that XP service pack 2. For the past 4 years, Ive never had a virus or or spyware. I run a full system scan with malware bytes once a year then I uninstall it.

Its not that I know where all them sneaky ba' serds are hiding Im just that good. So therefore I use Mal-ware bytes, once a year and it hasnt found anything in 4 years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »