14 Replies - 2893 Views - Last Post: 12 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Connecting to Xbox Live Through Windows PC

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

Yes, I know this isn't really the kind of question that normally goes here, but I've tried everything, and just wanted to see if I could get some help here.

So, I have a desktop computer, which connects the the internet through a wireless USB dongle, and I have an xbox 360 connected via the ethernet port on my computer. On the computer, I've set up a static IP address (192.168.1.16) and set the ethernet to connect through the wireless connection (which I've set to "Share this connection"):

Ethernet Connection:
IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.16
DNS settings are the same as the wireless connection

I've also forwarded all the required ports, as originally I had this working, but I wanted to try to get my NAT to open instead of moderate, and I ended up screwing everything up ;)

When the xbox is turned on, it does the normal "acquiring network address" business, and then appears as connected on my computer. However, from the xbox, I cannot connect to Live if I let it automatically choose the IP settings, or if I set them to the same as the ethernet connection, IP:192.168.0.1, gateway: 192.168.1.16

I've tried bridging the two connections, which works, but it sets the NAT to strict and only works once. After the xbox is turned off, it won't connect again.

I've tried to be as clear as possible, but tell me if I forgot to include something.

I have read probably every article on the web about this, and they all say to do different things, so if someone could help, I would love you forever :)

This post has been edited by erik.price: 08 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Connecting to Xbox Live Through Windows PC

• Php Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Connecting to Xbox Live Through Windows PC

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

i use to try that with my old xbox the first ever 1 they made i connected it to my computer then i downloaded some software which picked up all the games which was being played it can be done but just takes a lot of time

try to look on google you need to download something then it picks up all the games
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

Bridging the connections is actually the normal way to connect to Xbox Live through a desktop PC. What exactly doesn't work when you restart the console? Does it acquire a network address?

Also, what version of Windows are you using?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

@Core I'm using XP - forgot to mention that.

And when I boot up the console after bridging the connection, Windows doesn't see the ethernet port as active; it just keeps thinking it's unplugged. I have to delete the bridge and create a new one to get Windows to recognize that the xbox is plugged in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

That's interesting. I bridged the connection to achieve the same thing on Windows Vista/7 and it works just fine. It could be either a Windows problem or incorrect network configuration. Try this - bridge the connections, and when you obtain the IP configuration data check the one set up on the console, and then when you manually set up the connection, use the obtained data.

But as I said, for this to work correctly you actually need to bridge the connections.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

Alright, thanks Core. I don't have access to my Windows PC right now, but I'll try this out as soon as I can and I'll tell you the results.

By the way: did you manage to get an open NAT by doing this? My NAT only got worse when I did the bridge compared to ICS
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:35 PM

As far as I remember, it worked with open NAT (with moderate or strict NAT there could be problems joining various multiplayer sessions).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

Alright, so I've set up the bridge. It uses DHCP instead of a static IP (for now I guess) and the xbox connects to Live with a NAT of moderate if I leave all the settings on automatic.

So, I got back to where I started, which is always good, but any ideas on how to open up the NAT (I'm guessing a static IP?)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

So do you actually have a router? What is this USB dongle you speak of? If you do have a router Port Forwarding is the easiest way to go about this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

I do have a router. My desktop is pretty far from it however and was built in the stone ages (2003) and doesn't have built in wifi. So, I use this http://www.newegg.co...0-053-_-Product

So, it turns out that after about thirty minutes on xbox live, I lose connection (although it still says I'm connected to live, I'm not) and on my computer it shows that the xbox is disconnected from the computer, when it clearly isn't

I also can't even connect to the internet on my computer, and have to kill the network adapter and reboot to use it again.

I really am clueless now.

I think it has something to do with the computer and its ancientness more than the xbox (at least it better not be the xbox, its a new Elite, from less than 2 weeks ago)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

Had the same issues sometimes. Well I can say this - connecting it this way is not for long plays. When I finally got the chance to trace a cable from my router to the Xbox, I instantly got rid of all the problems at once (connection issues). So if you can, just make a visit to your local RadioShack (or even WalMart) and buy a cable. This will save you lots of time and frustration. But I am not sure if this can be applied in your case.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

My desktop and xbox are on the second floor, on the opposite side of the house as the router, which is on the first floor. So, I'm not sure if they sell Ethernet cables of that length, as it would probably have to be over 100 feet .

Thanks for all your help today though, I'll figure something out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Well there is a wireless Ethernet adapter for the 360 although it cheaper to get the cable. I had a bridge originally too and poor speeds and 'strict' NAT but 50ft of Ethernet cord later and I'm playing Halo 3 till 4 in the mourning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

Well, slight update. I've managed to use my dad's old PowerBook (bleh, PPC) and get it working with moderate NAT. It's temporary, but it works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

View Posterik.price, on 9 Jan, 2010 - 05:49 PM, said:

So, it turns out that after about thirty minutes on xbox live, I lose connection (although it still says I'm connected to live, I'm not) and on my computer it shows that the xbox is disconnected from the computer, when it clearly isn't

If I understand what you are trying to do... you should turn off the power settings to the NIC on the Windows XP Box. It's probably going to sleep & killing the connection.

Just my guess.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1