4 Replies - 1193 Views - Last Post: 10 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Interview Challenges

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

I've been wonder, during interviews, what were you ask to code to test you skills.

I've been tested:

program that prints the Fibonacci sequence

make a program that takes in a value and gives a list (the size of value) of prime numbers

and even to make a simple select query that select all rows of employees whose names starts with the letter J

what interview test have you been through

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Interview Challenges

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Interview Challenges

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

Mine have been typically "here is some code that is screwed up, add the fixes" and then they hand me a snippet of code that is so riddled with errors that after I point out the 10 obvious errors I still don't have the whole thing fixed. I always want to say "How about the whole thing being one big error? It would be easier for me just to rewrite the whole thing and add some documentation too"

;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

I've been asked the same types of mundane technical and algorithmic questions many times, but once someone asked me something truly interesting. He handed me a dry erase marker and asked me to design a communications protocol on the whiteboard. Now that was fun. Oh, and I got the job. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

I think it sucks when they ask for a mathematical formula converted to code. What if you didn't remember how to determine a Fib or prime? Not that I have but...I don't think its really a measure of programming talent if you don't know what you are calculating. Wouldn't it be better to ask someone to perform some task using data structures or to debug some code? Maybe sketch out a class diagram for some small system and explain your choices?

What are they looking at for the Fib answer anyway? It takes like 3 seconds to write it in a tree recursive manner but it could be written recursively with constant space complexity or iteratively using a loop. What is the best way to do this in an interview since it seems to be so popular?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

Problem solving, your ability to work your way through a problem, etc... the problem itself is almost always irrelevant.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1