Currently trying to create a card game

drag drop and then resize in picture box with if statments

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 3675 Views - Last Post: 11 January 2010 - 03:03 PM Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Was this Game a Good choice as a beginner (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Good Choice?

1. YES (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. NO (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Currently trying to create a card game

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

// ====================Description BEGIN===========================//

Hello my Name is Rocky, I am just trying to learn basics of C#.I am wanting to create a card game which was first introduce by a PS2 title "Grandia III" the Side quest game was formally know as "Arrange Dice".

ALL CREDIT GOES TO SQUARE-ENIX FOR THE CREATION of "Arrange Dice"

I just want to recreate the game, while learning this new and CONFUSING Language. Seemed like a good place to start.

okay, I know you say "WE wont give you the code" if I don't show effort in giving you what I have. Problem is.. i cant figure out how to start.

first thing i need to do is create a drag and drop, but with a if statement. so that if i drag it to a specific spot it resizes the image to fit in the smaller picture box, or if i drag it from the small picture box it will resize it back to default.

Bellow ill give you what my Board looks like and what boxes are what.
// =====================Description END===========================//

//======================PLEA BEGIN===========================//

Please Help me, I am just REALLY new to C# at least just help me get a jump start on just one of the pictures. to move and resize. I would GREATLY appreciate your help.

Thank you

//========================PLEA END===========================//

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Currently trying to create a card game

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Currently trying to create a card game

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Well, no offense, but I advise you to learn the basics first and then move on to creating a card game because you really need to have some background in C# programming to make such a game.

First start learning about classes and inheritance which you will then use in your game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

View PostFlashM, on 10 Jan, 2010 - 03:24 PM, said:

Well, no offense, but I advise you to learn the basics first and then move on to creating a card game because you really need to have some background in C# programming to make such a game.

First start learning about classes and inheritance which you will then use in your game.

Thank you for your input. well since thats prolly the best advise i get. on that topic. Do you think you can point me in the right direction?. perhaps hyperlink. ive googled around but not found a good tutorial on C#
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

This forum has a Tutorial section and you might find some interesting tutorials to start. On the other hand, get yourself some good C# reference book (for example Microsoft® Visual C#® 2008 Step by Step or any other beginner's book).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

View PostFlashM, on 10 Jan, 2010 - 03:42 PM, said:

This forum has a Tutorial section and you might find some interesting tutorials to start. On the other hand, get yourself some good C# reference book (for example Microsoft® Visual C#® 2008 Step by Step or any other beginner's book).

OK, Thank you very much. ill read through and try to learn. at least to get me started.

ill be coming back if i need help again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:49 PM

This is certainly not the best route to starting to learn to program. However, this is the perfect project to keep in mind as you are learning. Eventually, you'll be able to do this I think.

Now, one thing you are going to want to do is figure out all the rules to the game. Write them out in your design document. At this stage, there's no need for code. Just get all the rules on paper and keep it around so when you're learning you can think about what you learned applied to this game.

With firm rules in place, you'll want to think about what data structures are going to be needed. Like most card games, I'd imagine you'll need a card object and a deck object. The deck object will simply maintain a collection of cards. It will also have functionality such as Deal() and Shuffle(). But, you'll get to all that later.

Regardless, good project to shoot for - bad project to start with. Take care.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

View PostMentalFloss, on 10 Jan, 2010 - 08:49 PM, said:

This is certainly not the best route to starting to learn to program. However, this is the perfect project to keep in mind as you are learning. Eventually, you'll be able to do this I think.

Now, one thing you are going to want to do is figure out all the rules to the game. Write them out in your design document. At this stage, there's no need for code. Just get all the rules on paper and keep it around so when you're learning you can think about what you learned applied to this game.

With firm rules in place, you'll want to think about what data structures are going to be needed. Like most card games, I'd imagine you'll need a card object and a deck object. The deck object will simply maintain a collection of cards. It will also have functionality such as Deal() and Shuffle(). But, you'll get to all that later.

Regardless, good project to shoot for - bad project to start with. Take care.

Thank you, ^^ Ill keep all that in mind, but there is no Deck.. there is only 9 cards and 2 Die
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:52 AM

Your poll needs a third option. I couldn't agree with the other two more. What I would recommend is open up a new project in VS 2008 C# Express and lay out the visuals. Don't worry about the workings or whatever cause that will take some learning. Write down the rules as MentalFloss said, but also write down some pseudo code for what you think will be needed to acomplish the goal. no code, just the logic you think will be needed. As you get the knowledge to realize that code then start replacing your pseudo code with real code. This show of progress will keep you goin till you have a game. the you can start expanding, growing, ect. ect. Hope this helped out some.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

View PostAdkins, on 11 Jan, 2010 - 02:52 AM, said:

Your poll needs a third option. I couldn't agree with the other two more. What I would recommend is open up a new project in VS 2008 C# Express and lay out the visuals. Don't worry about the workings or whatever cause that will take some learning. Write down the rules as MentalFloss said, but also write down some pseudo code for what you think will be needed to acomplish the goal. no code, just the logic you think will be needed. As you get the knowledge to realize that code then start replacing your pseudo code with real code. This show of progress will keep you goin till you have a game. the you can start expanding, growing, ect. ect. Hope this helped out some.

Yeppers.. thank you to .. i really like this forum.. normally i hate them they are all.. *cough* holes
but this one good.. plenty of good advice

Kudos for ALL

i read the C# for dummys 2005 but its all so confusing... is there an asir language i should start with and build up to C3.. or is it just like any other speaking language.. it doesnt really matter what you start with..

This post has been edited by RyouGamenti: 11 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• His name was Robert Paulson.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

View PostRyouGamenti, on 11 Jan, 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

View PostAdkins, on 11 Jan, 2010 - 02:52 AM, said:

Yeppers.. thank you to .. i really like this forum.. normally i hate them they are all.. *cough* holes
but this one good.. plenty of good advice

Kudos for ALL

i read the C# for dummys 2005 but its all so confusing... is there an asir language i should start with and build up to C3.. or is it just like any other speaking language.. it doesnt really matter what you start with..

There is literally no easier language to make nice programs with. C#/VB.Net provide the most beautiful elegant way to design and program applications that run on Windows.

Having said that, an easy language to learn as well is Python. Although making a visible program (not scripts) is very very verbose.

Stick with C#. You'll get really excited soon... :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

okay thank you.. i guess ill stick with C# and keep on trying
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -