• +
  • « First

59 Replies - 17083 Views - Last Post: 02 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Week #2 Challenge: XNA Framework

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Well, thanks for trying. Even though the challenge is technically over today, keep on working on it. If you feel like sharing something that you come up with that would be great.

Yes, you did what the challenges are for, you learned something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

I've always wanted to make a version of Minesweeper so I've been working on that as my XNA challenge. I didn't manage to get it finished but I've gotten a very good start on it. I'm going to try and have it finished shortly. When it is I will post the code that I have.

This is the window that I've got rendering.
Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

I got a pretty basic version of minesweeper working. You can choose one of three levels to play, reveal squares, and win the game be revealing all non-mined squares or lose the game by selecting a mine. If you lose the game it goes back to the menu.

There are a lot of improvements that could be made. Sound could be added in to the game. Animations for winning or losing the game could be added in. You could time the game and many other things. This is what the middle level looks like in play.
Attached Image

If you are interested in the code the project is below.
Attached File  Minesweeper.zip (207.81K)
Number of downloads: 234
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:03 AM

After 15+ years as a developer I am doing my first post so I hope I get it right.
I created a little game for the Zune HD called ZeroOut. It is a game that presents you with a grid of numbers from zero to three. Tap on the numbers so that you flip each number until all cells are zero.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:13 AM

@kmckisic Would you mind sharing the link to the game or (if you can and want to) share the source code?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

Since I am teaching my PreAP Students how to do XNA programming, I get credit for this week, don't I? That means I onlly have to get to speed on week 1 to catch up!

I'll some stuff I've done when I past the intro stuff. I had to go back and review since we had Christmas break, review week and exam week away from XNA
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

Since I am teaching my PreAP Students how to do XNA programming, I get credit for this week, don't I? That means I onlly have to get to speed on week 1 to catch up!

You are welcome to participate in any challenge at any time. There are no time restrictions for submitting something you have made for a Week of Code. A new challenge appears every week, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:23 PM

I am enjoying the 52 Weeks of Code. I have been able to download Microsoft and XNA and I have just about finished the first tutorial on the website and when finished I will have completed my very first game. I am really having a great time learning and growing. I never thought I would be able to make a game that actually works. Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

Glad to hear it bgile! If you try something on your own, or add something interesting to the the game from the tutorial, make sure and show us what you have done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:24 AM

I've just seen that Microsoft has posted a XNA C# game programming tutorial. You can download it for free and it explains the main structure of a programm with an example.

It goes stept by step and explains everything. I really recommend it!

http://stores.lulu.com/gamemaking
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:29 AM

Hi All,

This is my first post on the forums. I only began programming in earnest in the new year, and was intrigued by the code challenge. I know nothing about websites, so didn't do the JQuery challenge, although I'm sure I'll get back to it at some point in the year.

I've made a Tetris clone in C++ from a tutorial, so this was my first go at creating a game on my own. I'm glad C# is so similar to C++ :)

Planet Defence

You are the last line of planetary defence, the alien invasion is destined for success, all you can do is keep the planets shield up long enough, to allow the people of your planet to make their escape.

There are aliens who crash straight into the shield, you need to shoot them to stop them.
Other aliens don't come toward the shield, but drop bombs to damage it. You cannot stop these bombs, but you can try and kill the aliens before they fire.

Try and get the best score you can, before the shield is destroyed. If the aliens crash into you, instead of the shield, you lose points.

Planet Defence is played in a 2D environment.

Game .exe and source code(without images) attached:
Attached File  planetdefencewithsource.zip (439.92K)
Number of downloads: 173
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:37 AM

That is a great demo! I gave it a try and you have a pretty neat little game there. I'm adding a screenshot of the game to my reply so others can see what you had accomplished.

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

Thanks SixofEleven.

I was going to develop it further, then realised I don't understand enough about sub-classing, so I altered the story to create a finished game with the programming I had already done. It was great fun learning new ideas, really glad I took up this XNA challenge :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

View Posterik.price, on 11 January 2010 - 07:45 PM, said:

:( I was afraid of that. PCI video cards are pretty expensive ($350+ for 128MB!). I think it would be better in the long run to just buy a new computer, since the CPU still would suck even if the GPU was upgraded. But that isn't happening any time soon, so I'll just pretend this week's challenge is "do something in C#". Which I think my computer can handle.

Old post I realize but what socket CPU do you have? If it's socket 775 you could easily upgrade to a new motherboard that supports PCIe. I realize that not everyone has money to throw around for things like this, but a decent 775 motherboard shouldn't cost much more than 60 USD.

PCIe graphics cards are very cheap and you can always upgrade the processor to a core duo (also ~60 USD) later. :)

Edit:
http://www.amazon.co...&sr=8-2&seller= 8600gt new for 50 USD.

This post has been edited by Tom9729: 02 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

View PostTom9729, on 02 February 2010 - 09:37 PM, said:

View Posterik.price, on 11 January 2010 - 07:45 PM, said:

:( I was afraid of that. PCI video cards are pretty expensive ($350+ for 128MB!). I think it would be better in the long run to just buy a new computer, since the CPU still would suck even if the GPU was upgraded. But that isn't happening any time soon, so I'll just pretend this week's challenge is "do something in C#". Which I think my computer can handle.

Old post I realize but what socket CPU do you have? If it's socket 775 you could easily upgrade to a new motherboard that supports PCIe. I realize that not everyone has money to throw around for things like this, but a decent 775 motherboard shouldn't cost much more than 60 USD.

PCIe graphics cards are very cheap and you can always upgrade the processor to a core duo (also ~60 USD) later. :)

Edit:
http://www.amazon.co...&sr=8-2&seller= 8600gt new for 50 USD.

I got a fairly good PCI graphics card from tigerdirect.ca for around 60CDN. It was a Sparkle geForce 8400 GS, make sure to get the PCI version and not the PCIe version though as there are both of them. It had 512MB of RAM and it does a pretty good job with XNA games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First