Creating folders in the System Root

I am trying to create a new folder in C:\Windows\System32�

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 4233 Views - Last Post: 04 February 2011 - 02:44 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Creating folders in the System Root

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

I am trying to create a new folder in C:\Windows\System32\oobe but I cannot get sufficient privileges
here is the bit of code that has the error

' I have "CreateDirectory("C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds") in the Form load sub
	Sub CreateDirectory(ByVal Path As String)
		Directory.CreateDirectory(Path)
	End Sub

And then in Form Load I have:
	Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
		CreateDirectory("C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds")
	End Sub

It keeps saying I don't have the privileges. Is there any way around this? I also need to put files in that folder later on.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating folders in the System Root

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating folders in the System Root

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

Why would you want to do this? That folder is for Windows only and that's why they keep it locked down.

Now that I think about it cannot come up with a single on-malicious reason someone would want to mess with this directory.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 11 Jan, 2010 - 04:44 PM, said:

Why would you want to do this? That folder is for Windows only and that's why they keep it locked down.

Now that I think about it cannot come up with a single on-malicious reason someone would want to mess with this directory.

I understand how you saw it that way but I am not trying to wreck windows. there is a way to change the logon background and it has to do with this folder. I found out about it at:
changing the windows logon screen
I am trying to make a program that does all this automatically so that all I need to do is give it a picture and it changes the login

I don't intend to make malicious software.

Oh and by the way I managed to fix it after a bit of messing around with the privileges. it should work now after asking for the Admins permission.

This post has been edited by krismania: 11 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Guest_Mirza Imran*

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:20 PM

View Postkrismania, on 11 January 2010 - 07:41 PM, said:

View PostPsychoCoder, on 11 Jan, 2010 - 04:44 PM, said:

I understand how you saw it that way but I am not trying to wreck windows. there is a way to change the logon background and it has to do with this folder. I found out about it at:
changing the windows logon screen
I am trying to make a program that does all this automatically so that all I need to do is give it a picture and it changes the login

I don't intend to make malicious software.

Oh and by the way I managed to fix it after a bit of messing around with the privileges. it should work now after asking for the Admins permission.

Was This Post Helpful? 0

#5 Guest_Mirza Imran*

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

yeah it needs an admin priveledge which u can also use in ur code.....:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

@ The OP

You shouldnt play around with the Windows folders tbh with you. But it sounds like your looking for an application to change the logon screen picture.

If you want to write it yourself; cool, otherwise. Heres an application i used to do the exact same thing ;)

Google: "Windows 7 Logon Background Changer"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1