10 Replies - 1560 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Discussion of the wonders that are splash screens

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

Curiosity brings me here from another thread.

I want to know what you think about splash screens for applications - or splash pages for websites, come to that. Reasons for or against?

Off the bat, I'll admit I'm polarised. I think they're a waste of users' time, unless they are more of a loading screen - like Photoshop does for half an hour on anything less than a Cray.

I don't need to know that badly, I'm just asking because I haven't started a thread for a long time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Discussion of the wonders that are splash screens

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Discussion of the wonders that are splash screens

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

In web apps I hate them. For games, some are acceptable, like the developer/publisher ones.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

A spash screen has a purpose. It's kind of like an hourglass icon with a banner. It says "this is gonna take a while, I'm working on it, this is what you asked me to do." It's feedback and when used properly it's a helpful tool.

However, if it's simply used for product placement, advertising, or self promotion, then it's obviously not being employed in the best interests of the user. If your product can't hold it's own without a splash screen, it's crap. If your product is good, but you use a splash screen to promote something else, you've devalued that which was good.

Short form: Used as delay or annoyware, bad. Used as feedback during a log process, good. If you delay the launch of the program to display the splash screen, you've failed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 12 Jan, 2010 - 02:32 PM, said:

Short form: Used as delay or annoyware, bad. Used as feedback during a log process, good. If you delay the launch of the program to display the splash screen, you've failed.

:^:

A splash screen with a loading bar telling you what the program is actually doing that's making you wait is fine; but a splash screen to promote the developer or a product isn't
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

I'm always surprised by the "annoyware" (good term baavgai). It seems like a spectacularly bad idea to tell your users that it's you who's preventing them from doing what they want for an arbitrary reason and an uncontrollable length of time, with no benefit for them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:52 PM

AS long as the screen is communicating valuable information I think they are great... but I don't think the name of the program, or the name of the organization who developed the program are particularly valuable in and of themselves...

I DO like them on installers... I always have a ton of "install.exe" or "setup.exe" files that I have no idea what they are for... so if I run them and they splash with the name of the program and who developed it -- well that I can use.

I also don't mind them on first time use... but I get really irritated if the first time use "welcome" screen is there the second time I run the program (or the 501st time... reason 501 why I hate Visual Studio).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

On desktop applications I don't mind them having a splash screen as long as it doesn't do something stupid like try to stay on top of all windows (which is annoying beyond belief). I mean if the program is going to take a few seconds to load I want to know that it is actually doing something so the splash screen tells me that my request for launch has been accepted and acknowledged.

On websites they are completely pointless. I mean it makes the user click on YET another link to get to the content they want to see, that is wasting valuable time on them (especially if they have a slow connection) which may cost you a user (and their ad revenue or sales) in the long run. I think websites just need to be up quick and have the meat of content right at the hands of the user, easily accessible and searchable to increase chances of retaining users.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

I have noticed this a lot of video games, say Battlefield series, and Valve games, where you have screens before the game loads that you just have to wait for and can't pass. Now, after playing a game once, I always search for the "-novid" switch equivalent. Which makes there screens pointless, because I don't even see them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

I don't have a problem with splash screens/pages. Sometimes they can be annoying, but those times are rare. Usually, the couple of seconds the screen is active doesn't amount to much.

I'm probably the exception to the rule though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

Depends on the game or program. I usually don't have a problem, except when you have more than a minute of intro crap that you can't skip by pressing a button. Ticks me off. I bought the game from you, watched your damn intro, I don't need to be reminded every time that it was made by EA, and whoever else with minutes of unskippable crap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

View PostGorian, on 16 Jan, 2010 - 04:14 PM, said:

Depends on the game or program. I usually don't have a problem, except when you have more than a minute of intro crap that you can't skip by pressing a button. Ticks me off. I bought the game from you, watched your damn intro, I don't need to be reminded every time that it was made by EA, and whoever else with minutes of unskippable crap.

That's a good point. I didn't think of that. I haven't played any games recently that didn't have a skip option on the splash screen/video.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1