Page 1 of 1

XNA Screen Manager - Part 4 Creating pop up screens

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

This is a forth tutorial in my XNA Screen Manager tutorial. This tutorial is generic enough to work in both XNA 3.0 and XNA 3.1 so you can use either one of them for the tutorial. Pop up screens are common in games, especially when the player wants to exit the game. I will show you a way to create a pop up screen and how to use it so that the rest of the game will continue to render but it will not update the game. You could also use this concept to pause the game, in case the player needs to make a run to the fridge for a snack.

You should probably finish the first three tutorials in the series. You can find them at these links:
To get started you will want to open your project from the last tutorial I wrote. Now that you have the tutorial loaded you are ready to start. What I am going to do is create a new class that inherits from GameScreen and have the image centered on the screen. There will also be a menu with two entries Yes and No. You can use the following image for the pop up screen, or you can use one of your own but you should probably have the file name, with out the extension, as quitscreen to reduce confusion with the code I will use later. It is totally up to you. Once you have the image you will want to add it to the Content folder. Right click the Content folder, select Add and then Existing Item and navigate to your image.
Attached Image

To do this I will first make a few changes to the MenuComponent class. All I am going to do is add in three properties to the class. The first one will be a get and set property that can get or set the position of the menu on the screen. The other two are get only properties and will get the width and the height of the menu. I will use these properties to center to place the menu in the pop up window. Add these three properties to the MenuComponent class.

public Vector2 Position
{
	get { return position; }
	set { position = value; }
}

public float Width
{
	get { return width; }
}

public float Height
{
	get { return height; }
}

Now we can code the PopUpScreen class. I will give you the code for the PopUpScreen class and then explain it after you have read it. Add a new class to your project called PopUpScreen. This is the code for the PopUpScreen class.

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics;

namespace ScreenManager
{
	class PopUpScreen : GameScreen
	{
		MenuComponent menuComponent;
		Texture2D image;
		Rectangle imageRectangle;

public int SelectedIndex
		{
			get { return menuComponent.SelectedIndex; }
			set { menuComponent.SelectedIndex = value; }
		}

public PopUpScreen(Game game, SpriteBatch spriteBatch, SpriteFont spriteFont, Texture2D image)
			: base(game, spriteBatch)
		{
			string[] menuItems = { "Yes", "No" };
			menuComponent = new MenuComponent(game,
				spriteBatch,
				spriteFont,
				menuItems);
			Components.Add(menuComponent);
			this.image = image;

imageRectangle = new Rectangle(
				(Game.window.ClientBounds.Width - this.image.Width) / 2,
				(Game.window.ClientBounds.Height - this.image.Height) / 2,
				this.image.Width,
				this.image.Height);

menuComponent.Position = new Vector2(
				(imageRectangle.Width - menuComponent.Width) / 2,
				imageRectangle.Bottom - menuComponent.Height - 10);
		}

public override void Update(GameTime gameTime)
		{
			base.Update(gameTime);
		}

public override void Draw(GameTime gameTime)
		{
			spriteBatch.Draw(image, imageRectangle, Color.White);
			base.Draw(gameTime);
		}
	}
}

The code is basically identical to the StartScreen class. The differences are the constructor of the classes. The first difference is the menu options. The PopUpScreen class has two options: Yes and No. Also, in the constructor of the PopUpScreen class instead of having the image fill the screen I center the image on the screen. I center the image on the screen by taking the width of the screen, subtracting the width of the image and dividing that by 2. That centers the image horizontally. To center the image vertically you take the height of the screen, subtract the height of the image and divide that value by 2.

The other difference is that I position the menu relative to the position of the image on the screen. I center the menu horizontally like I centered the menu on the start screen. I first take the X property of the Rectangle and the I take the width of the image, subtract the width of the menu and divide that by 2 and add it the X property of the Rectangle. I didn't think centering the menu vertically was a good idea. Instead, I positioned the menu relative to the bottom of the image. Since I used a Rectangle for the image I know where the bottom of the Rectangle is using the Bottom property. As you move up the screen the values of Y decrease so I need to subtract from that value. I first subtracted the height of the menu from the bottom of the rectangle and then an addition 10 pixels to give it a little padding.

Those were the only changes in the class. The rest of the changes will be in the Game1 class. The first thing you will need to do of course is add in a field to hold an instance of the screen. Add the follow field to the Game1 class near the other screen fields.

PopUpScreen quitScreen;

What you need to do now is create an instance and add it to the list of components for the game. This will be done in the LoadContent method. This is important. You need to create the instance after all of the other screens that you want the screen to be on top of. The reason is that the components of the game are drawn in the order you add them to the list of components. If you add the screen before the action screen it will not appear because we are still drawing the action screen, just not updating it. This is the code for the LoadContent method.

protected override void LoadContent()
{
	spriteBatch = new SpriteBatch(GraphicsDevice);

startScreen = new StartScreen(
		this,
		spriteBatch,
		Content.Load<SpriteFont>("menufont"),
		Content.Load<Texture2D>("alienmetal"));
	Components.Add(startScreen);
	startScreen.Hide();

actionScreen = new ActionScreen(
		this,
		spriteBatch,
		Content.Load<Texture2D>("greenmetal"));
	Components.Add(actionScreen);
	actionScreen.Hide();

quitScreen = new PopUpScreen(
		this,
		spriteBatch,
		Content.Load<Texture2D>("quitscreen"));
	Components.Add(quitScreen);
	quitScreen.Hide();

activeScreen = startScreen;
	activeScreen.Show();
}

The last thing to do is to handle the input for the new screen. You handle input in the Update method. The Update method will get very long if you handle the input for all of your screens in it. What I decided to do was to refactor it a little by creating methods to handle the input for the various screens. I created methods: HandleStartScreen, HandleActionScreen and HandleQuitScreen. I will give you the code for all four methods and then explain it.

protected override void Update(GameTime gameTime)
{
	keyboardState = Keyboard.GetState();
	gamePadState = GamePad.GetState(PlayerIndex.One);

if (activeScreen == startScreen)
	{
		HandleStartScreen();
	}
	else if (activeScreen == actionScreen)
	{
		HandleActionScreen();
	}
	else if (activeScreen == quitScreen)
	{
		HandleQuitScreen();
	}

base.Update(gameTime);

oldKeyboardState = keyboardState;
	oldGamePadState = gamePadState;
}

private void HandleStartScreen()
{
	if (CheckKey(Keys.Enter) || CheckButton(Buttons.A))
	{
		if (startScreen.SelectedIndex == 0)
		{
			activeScreen.Hide();
			activeScreen = actionScreen;
			activeScreen.Show();
		}
		if (startScreen.SelectedIndex == 1)
		{
			this.Exit();
		}
	}
}

private void HandleActionScreen()
{
	if (CheckButton(Buttons.Back) || CheckKey(Keys.Escape))
	{
		activeScreen.Enabled = false;
		activeScreen = quitScreen;
		activeScreen.Show();
	}
}

private void HandleQuitScreen()
{
	{
		if (quitScreen.SelectedIndex == 0)
		{
			activeScreen.Hide();
			activeScreen.Show();
		}
		if (quitScreen.SelectedIndex == 1)
		{
			activeScreen.Hide();
			activeScreen.Show();
		}
	}
}

As you can see, the Update method has been scaled down to fewer lines of code. It is good to try and keep your methods short, in any sort of programming. Longer methods are harder to debug for one thing and there is a greater chance of introducing bugs when you add code to longer methods. After getting the state of the keyboard and the game pad there is a series of if-else-ifs. The reason is that you only want to process the current screen for that particular frame of the game. If you just did if statements, and you changed from one screen to another there would be a possibility of processing another screen in that frame of the game. You don't want to do that.

What happens here is I check to see which screen is the active screen. I'm not comparing classes for equivalence here. I'm checking to see if the references to the classes are the same. There is a big difference. What I am saying is that if activeScreen and startScreen point to the same instance then do this. I'm not saying, is all the data in activeScreen the same as startScreen. After the call to base.Update I set the old states of the keyboard and the game pad to the current states. You might be wondering what happened to allowing the game to exit from the Update method. Well, I removed that and placed it in the HandleActionScreen method. If I hadn't and the player pressed the back button the game would exit and the screen wouldn't be displayed.

The HandleStartScreen method is the code from the original Update method. It just checks to see if the enter key or the A button on the game pad of been pressed and released. The HandleActionScreen method is where I handle displaying the screen to ask if the player is sure they want to quit. I check to see if the back button on the game pad or the escape key have been pressed once. If they have I just set the Enabled property of the active screen to false instead of calling the Hide method of the screen. What this does is tell the action screen to not update itself but it can draw itself. So your game is effectively paused until the player chooses an option from the menu. I then set the active screen to be the quit screen and call the Show method of the active screen displaying the quit screen.

The last method is the HandleQuitScreen method. This method first checks to see if the A button or the enter key have been pressed. If they have there are two if statements that check what the selected index is. If it is zero, I call the Hide method of the quit screen. I then set the active screen to be the start screen and finally call the Show method of the active screen. This is the behaviour you want in your games. You don't want the game to just exit, you want to take the player back to the menu. If the selected index is one, the no option, I hide the quit screen, set the active screen to be the action screen and call the Show method.

This is the last tutorial I'm going to do in the screen management series. You now have all of the tools you will need to manage screens in your game. You are not in anyway limited to the screens I've shown you. You can create any number of screens, each with different functionality. The sky is the limit. These are all good bases from which you can work from.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: XNA Screen Manager - Part 4

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

Ok, I was a bad programmer. This was my fault. I've fixed the problem but I need to rewrite a couple sections the tutorial. Fortunately it isn't a big rewrite. Should have it fixed shortly. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:45 AM

Great Tutorials - Do You have a Download link for ALL 4 Parts ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

I have a problem. The menu that is supposed to be in the box (Yes / No) is in the right place but far left of the box. It isn't getting into the centre of the screen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

In the PopUpScreen constructor, change the menuComponent.Position to this:
                (imageRectangle.Width - menuComponent.Width) / 2 + imageRectangle.Left,
                (imageRectangle.Height - menuComponent.Height) / 2 + imageRectangle.Top + 20);

This is the correct math to get the text in the middle of the image. The + 20 at the end is needed because the image contains text. You can go without it, but the the menu text is in the exact middle and may block the text in the background. I would think you normally want to have the text drawn on instead of embedded into the background image.

Also, clicking yes to exit doesn't work. The problem is that the actionScreen remains shown, and the actionScreen is drawn on top of startScreen. In the HandleQuitScreen function in Game1, add actionScreen.Hide() if SelectedIndex == 0. It doesn't matter what order it goes in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Guest_Fra3ture*

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:33 AM

I've followed the entire series and have the basic menu working. The pop menu works a treat and I can change between all the scenes no problem. The only issue I'm having is getting the font to draw from Tutorial 1 onwards.

I've searched my code and compared to all of the examples given in the series.

This is a copy of my Game1.cs class. Am I missing something? Every other class is the exact same that the author has wrote, except my "Start Game" "End Game" "Yes" "No" option wont appear.

using System;
using System.Linq;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media;

namespace Menu
{
    /// <summary>
    /// This is the main type for your game
    /// </summary>
    public class Game1 : Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game
    {
        GraphicsDeviceManager graphics;
        SpriteBatch spriteBatch;

KeyboardState keyboardState;
        KeyboardState oldKeyboardState;
        GamePadState gamePadState;
        GamePadState oldGamePadState;

GameScreen activeScreen;
        StartScreen startScreen;
        ActionScreen actionScreen;
        PopUpScreen quitScreen;

public Game1()
        {
            graphics = new GraphicsDeviceManager(this);
            Content.RootDirectory = "Content";
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Allows the game to perform any initialization it needs to before starting to run.
        /// This is where it can query for any required services and load any non-graphic
        /// related content.  Calling base.Initialize will enumerate through any components
        /// and initialize them as well.
        /// </summary>
        protected override void Initialize()
        {
            // TODO: Add your initialization logic here

base.Initialize();
        }

/// <summary>
        /// LoadContent will be called once per game and is the place to load
        /// all of your content.
        /// </summary>
        {

// Create a new SpriteBatch, which can be used to draw textures.

// TODO: use this.Content to load your game content here
            startScreen = new StartScreen
            (
                this,
                spriteBatch,
                Content.Load<Texture2D>("menuBackground")
            );
            startScreen.Hide();

this,
                spriteBatch,
                Content.Load<Texture2D>("gameBackground"));
            actionScreen.Hide();

this,
                spriteBatch,
            quitScreen.Hide();

activeScreen.Show();
        }

/// <summary>
        /// UnloadContent will be called once per game and is the place to unload
        /// all content.
        /// </summary>
        protected override void UnloadContent()
        {
            // TODO: Unload any non ContentManager content here
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Allows the game to run logic such as updating the world,
        /// checking for collisions, gathering input, and playing audio.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="gameTime">Provides a snapshot of timing values.</param>
        {

// Allows the game to exit
            if (CheckButton(Buttons.Back))
                this.Exit();

{
                HandleStartScreen();
            }
            {
                HandleActionScreen();
            }
            {
                HandleQuitScreen();
            }

// TODO: Add your update logic here

base.Update(gameTime);
        }

{
            {
                {
                    activeScreen.Hide();
                    actionScreen.Show();
                }
                {
                    this.Exit();
                }
            }
        }

{
            if (CheckButton(Buttons.Back) || CheckKey(Keys.Space))
            {
                activeScreen.Show();
            }
        }

{
            {
                {
                    activeScreen.Hide();
                    actionScreen.Show();
                }
                {
                    activeScreen.Hide();
                    actionScreen.Show();
                }
            }
        }

private bool CheckButton(Buttons button)
        {
            return gamePadState.IsButtonUp(button) &&
                oldGamePadState.IsButtonDown(button);
        }

private bool CheckKey(Keys theKey)
        {
            return keyboardState.IsKeyUp(theKey) &&
                oldKeyboardState.IsKeyDown(theKey);
        }

/// <summary>
        /// This is called when the game should draw itself.
        /// </summary>
        protected override void Draw(GameTime gameTime)
        {
            GraphicsDevice.Clear(Color.CornflowerBlue);

// TODO: Add your drawing code here
            spriteBatch.Begin();

base.Draw(gameTime);

spriteBatch.End();
        }
    }
}

Was This Post Helpful? 0

#7 Guest_SiderMan*

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

View PostFra3ture, on 26 January 2011 - 04:33 AM, said:

I've followed the entire series and have the basic menu working. The pop menu works a treat and I can change between all the scenes no problem. The only issue I'm having is getting the font to draw from Tutorial 1 onwards.

I've searched my code and compared to all of the examples given in the series.

Part of the problem is that you have mistakenly used actionScreen instead of activescreen in the HandleStartScreen and HandleQuitScreen functions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

I am not even getting the pop up to happen. I have been thru the tutorials several times and I cant figure out where I went wrong. I am pretty new to this so any help or push in the right direction is much appreciated
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

Show us some of your code and let's see if we can find and fix the problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

View PostKilorn, on 14 February 2011 - 05:29 PM, said:

Show us some of your code and let's see if we can find and fix the problem.

ok. here is game1.cs

using System;
using System.Linq;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media;
using ScreenManager;

namespace Menu
{
    /// <summary>
    /// This is the main type for your game
    /// </summary>
    public class Game1 : Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game
    {
        GraphicsDeviceManager graphics;
        SpriteBatch spriteBatch;

KeyboardState keyboardState;
        KeyboardState oldKeyboardState;
        GamePadState gamePadState;
        GamePadState oldGamePadState;

GameScreen activeScreen;
        StartScreen startScreen;
        ActionScreen actionScreen;
        PopUpScreen quitScreen;

public Game1()
        {
            graphics = new GraphicsDeviceManager(this);
            Content.RootDirectory = "Content";
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Allows the game to perform any initialization it needs to before starting to run.
        /// This is where it can query for any required services and load any non-graphic
        /// related content.  Calling base.Initialize will enumerate through any components
        /// and initialize them as well.
        /// </summary>
        protected override void Initialize()
        {
            // TODO: Add your initialization logic here

base.Initialize();
        }

/// <summary>
        /// LoadContent will be called once per game and is the place to load
        /// all of your content.
        /// </summary>
        {

// Create a new SpriteBatch, which can be used to draw textures.

// TODO: use this.Content to load your game content here
            startScreen = new StartScreen
            (
                this,
                spriteBatch,
                Content.Load<Texture2D>("bckgn1")
            );
            startScreen.Hide();

this,
                spriteBatch,
                Content.Load<Texture2D>("bckgn"));
            actionScreen.Hide();

this,
                spriteBatch,
            quitScreen.Hide();

activeScreen.Show();
        }

/// <summary>
        /// UnloadContent will be called once per game and is the place to unload
        /// all content.
        /// </summary>
        protected override void UnloadContent()
        {
            // TODO: Unload any non ContentManager content here
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Allows the game to run logic such as updating the world,
        /// checking for collisions, gathering input, and playing audio.
        /// </summary>
        {

// Allows the game to exit
            if (CheckButton(Buttons.Back))
                this.Exit();

{
                HandleStartScreen();
            }
            {
                HandleActionScreen();
            }
            {
                HandleQuitScreen();
            }

// TODO: Add your update logic here

base.Update(gameTime);
        }

{
            {
                {
                    activeScreen.Hide();
                    actionScreen.Show();
                }
                {
                    this.Exit();
                }
            }
        }

{
            if (CheckButton(Buttons.Back) || CheckKey(Keys.Space))
            {
                activeScreen.Show();
            }
        }

{
            {
                {
                    activeScreen.Hide();
                    actionScreen.Show();
                }
                {
                    activeScreen.Hide();
                    actionScreen.Show();
                }
            }
        }

private bool CheckButton(Buttons button)
        {
            return gamePadState.IsButtonUp(button) &&
                oldGamePadState.IsButtonDown(button);
        }

private bool CheckKey(Keys theKey)
        {
            return keyboardState.IsKeyUp(theKey) &&
                oldKeyboardState.IsKeyDown(theKey);
        }

/// <summary>
        /// This is called when the game should draw itself.
        /// </summary>
        protected override void Draw(GameTime gameTime)
        {
            GraphicsDevice.Clear(Color.CornflowerBlue);

// TODO: Add your drawing code here
            spriteBatch.Begin();

base.Draw(gameTime);

spriteBatch.End();
        }
    }
}

I will post my pop up screen code next.

Thanks!!

PopUpScreen.cs

using System;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using dreamInCode;

namespace ScreenManager
{
    class PopUpScreen : GameScreen
    {
        MenuComponent menuComponent;
        Texture2D image;
        Rectangle imageRectangle;

public int SelectedIndex
        {
            get { return menuComponent.SelectedIndex; }
            set { menuComponent.SelectedIndex = value; }
        }

public PopUpScreen(Game game, SpriteBatch spriteBatch, SpriteFont spriteFont, Texture2D image)
            : base(game, spriteBatch)
        {
            string[] menuItems = { "Yes", "No" };
            menuComponent = new MenuComponent(game,
                spriteBatch,
                spriteFont,
                menuItems);
            Components.Add(menuComponent);
            this.image = image;

imageRectangle = new Rectangle(
                (Game.window.ClientBounds.Width - this.image.Width) / 2,
                (Game.window.ClientBounds.Height - this.image.Height) / 2,
                this.image.Width,
                this.image.Height);

(imageRectangle.Width - menuComponent.Width) / 2 + imageRectangle.Left,
    (imageRectangle.Height - menuComponent.Height) / 2 + imageRectangle.Top + 20);

}

public override void Update(GameTime gameTime)
        {
            base.Update(gameTime);
        }

public override void Draw(GameTime gameTime)
        {
            spriteBatch.Draw(image, imageRectangle, Color.White);
            base.Draw(gameTime);
        }
    }
}

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:50 AM

I think the issue most likely lies in the logic for handling your screens. You've got a few places that I see where you hide the activeScreen, set activeScreen to the proper screen, and then call actionScreen.Show() instead of activeScreen.Show(). Another thing that I see is in the HandleActionScreen() method, you're checking for a press of the Back button on a controller to open the quitScreen and there is also a place in your Update method where a press of the Back button will cause the program to exit. Are you testing your quitScreen with a controller or just a keyboard?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:00 AM

I am testing with just the computer at the moment. I will look at your suggestions and try to modify. I will post back with my questions or success.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'm having a really big issue with my managing the "Quit Screen" in the code. I can play the game and begin at my "Start Screen", at which point everything works (Start Game & End Game). When I press ESC while my game is running, the pop up screen prompts. I can successfully return to my game by selecting "No" when asked "Are y ou sure you want to quit?" However, if I select "Yes", I'm redirected to the action screen, not the start screen.

I've looked through all of the code and I can't figure it out. Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1