9 Replies - 1026 Views - Last Post: 13 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

From Desktop App to Production App

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

Ok, so to start off, I am not sure if I'm in the right Forum, so please feel free to move the topic if I'm in error.

History:

Currently my company has a desktop application that allows the user to create a letter to our clients that is customized per what their request is. However, the program uses a template for most of it, with mail merge capabilities on the back end pulling from a database client information.

We are currently having about 200 letters per day sent to a local printer in a department (the current users causing the issue telecommute to work) then someone from another department picks up the letters, folds them, and mails them out.

The Plan:

We have a print shop that is another division of our parent company that we can print to, have them mail things out.

The Issue:

When this program creates the file to be printed, it creates an INI file and a separate DOC file. The print shop wants us to convert the DOC file to a PRN file because that's what their printers read, and the INI doesn't contain the "free form" sections of the letter.

The Question:

Does anyone know of a program "off the shelf" that can convert from DOC to PRN. I have looked online, and can't find anything, so I am coming to the mighty DIC gods for help!!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: From Desktop App to Production App

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: From Desktop App to Production App

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

Actually you should not need a special program... unless I am mistaken a PRN is what is produced when you tell windows to "print to file" -- and basically just captures the stream that is sent to the printer.

So what you would need to do is setup a shared "printer" on some server and have it print to file... then have some process transfer the PRN files to the other department.

The whole thing is basically a batch process.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

<Edit>

So I talked to my boss, the actual Admin of the program (for pete's sake, I can't even ACCESS the program, and I have to find a way to change the print location), and the program doesn't have a "print to file" function. I forgot that we had tested that already.

</edit>

This post has been edited by P4L: 13 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

did it work?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

Did what work? Can't test Nick's idea since the functionality of a print to file option does not exist in the program!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

sorry, slow connection
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

When creating a new printer you can select FILE: under existing ports. Doing this will allow you to use existing printer drivers, but instead redirect the print job to a file instead of to a printer (creating the prn file you need).

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:17 PM

Ok, added background. All the users work off a Citrix server, and their printing is preset for ALL applications to the printer in the Home Office. It's the servers defualt printer, and they don't want the hassle of going back to recode it, risking having some of the other tempermental programs crap out on us. The doc file is stored on another server, which is why they want to do a conversion of that file versus doing the conversion at the workstation level.

It's a really screwy project, and to make matter even more enjoyable for me, I CAN NOT ACCESS THE CLIENT VERSION OF THE PROGRAM. I don't have the rights, and my supervisor, who is the admin of the program and all the other programs written by DST, doesn't want me to have access to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

You should not need to touch the program really... just modify the definition of printer that it is using!

if that does not work... it creates a doc file.. use a batch to use word to print the doc files to PRN files...

stop seeing road blocks and start seeing solutions... don't look at what you CAN'T do but look at what you CAN do... If you don't want to do it, then tell your boss to get bent and quit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

Maybe Im confused here. I understand that your program doesnt have the Print to File option. But if it creates a .doc file, would you not be able to still use your program to create the document create a script to use Word to then Print to File?

Its kind of a long way around but if I understand your problem correctly that would probably be easiest.

If I dont understand your problem and the above offers no help, then never mind and best of luck. lol :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1