This is probably the most inspirational article I've ever read.

You should probably take 5 minutes of your day and read it too.

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 4967 Views - Last Post: 18 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

• His name was Robert Paulson.
  • member icon

• View blog

This is probably the most inspirational article I've ever read.

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

I Have No Talent

The other day someone sent me an IM and thanked me for my open source contributions. They then said something about wishing they had my gem/code creation talents. I didnít miss a beat and informed them that I have no talent.

It is true. I have no talent. What I do have is a lot of practice. And I am not talking about occasionally dabbling in Ruby on the weekends. I am talking about the kind of practice where I beat code that isnít working into submission (though often times the code wins).

The kind of practice where all of a sudden I realize that it is 2am and Iím exhausted physically so I should go to bed, but mentally I feel on fire so I let the code have me for another hour or two (I imagine this state to be like a marathon runner or ironman near the end of their race).

The kind of practice that leads to a GitHub profile stuffed with code I regret (and am embarrassed about, but donít delete to remind me of where I once was) and code I am proud of (not near as much as I am embarrassed about though).
Intelligence

I am also not very smart. I have a good memory (though my wife will tell you it has some missing pieces) and I work really hard. Really hard. I get that from my dad. He is also not very smart (his words, not mine), with a good memory and works really hard. :)

I am sick of hearing people say, ďOh, I love your code, I wish I could do that.Ē You can. The only reason you canít is because you donít practice enough. I used to think that I wasnít smart enough. I was jealous of those that did crazy code stuff that I couldnít even comprehend. Then, one day, I ran into something I did not understand and instead of giving up, I pushed through. I sat there in front of my computer for hours and wrestled with class and class instance variables.

That day was a turning point for me. It was the last time I thought that whether or not I was successful depended on my talent or intelligence. It really comes down to hard work people. Ever since then, I have attacked each thing that I do not understand until I understand it.

I will close with this. I still suck. There are still so many people out there who are far better than I am, but that does not stop me anymore. I do not measure myself against the programming greats, but against those projects on my Github profile from years ago.

Source here

Was that a great read or what?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: This is probably the most inspirational article I've ever read.

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: This is probably the most inspirational article I've ever read.

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:19 AM

He works in the same way I do. Doing what he does is what got me the rudimentary knowledge of Monads that I have now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:05 AM

Add encouraging to inspiring! Thats what it is.

Though, you cannot rule out the extra (and I mean super extra) input talent brings, in the end sheer stick-to-it-ive, determined-hardwork wins. Trust me when I say talent is NEVER enough to take you to the heights of success.

A great read indeed!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

If you do not have a learning experience such as this one in your life, you will never accomplish anything. If you do manage to have it, however, you will never be stopped by anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

Yeah working as a programmer for me isn't just a 9-5 job and I myself contribute to open-source projects, volunteer by making websites or repair PC's for friends or neighbors. I have found doing this allows me to get the edge I need from my competitors and really learn and shape the craft of my work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

Great article!

Well, before I was able to create lines of codes of a certain function for just a few minutes, I spent hours creating one when I was a beginner.

I have fallen into programming addiction (which others may call 'hard work' since I spent many hours programming) which helps me code a lot better than before.

The sleepless nights... the dark circles around the eyes... the headache upon seeing a new error... the panic I had felt after being prompted of 'Object Reference not set to an instance of an object'... All those stressful yet fun days of programming... I have never regretted any of them.

I am proud to be the programmer I am right now. Though, I still have a long way to go before being called great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

i always liked the quote.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Very inspiring indeed. Shows you dont have to be a prodigy to code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1