Behind the scenes action?

Facebook Flash game Dev question??? (web service?)

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 833 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2010 - 03:55 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Behind the scenes action?

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

I was wondering, I've been planning on developing a game for Facebook in Flash, and have some other applications that could benefit from resolving this issue, or understanding the best way to perform the necessary information.

First, I'm sure some in this form have some experience in Facebook, and maybe some of you know of games like FarmTown, CafeWorld, etc. I want to develop a game similar to these, They are single screen, 3d environments that you perform specific tasks within the game, like planting, cooking, etc. I have an idea for a game that has not been developed yet, that might obtain a incredible following.

1 aspect of these games is, you perform specific actions, like cooking a meal, that take different time lengths. So if you cook a meal that takes say 15 minutes, you have to serve the mean say, 5 minutes later or the meal will spoil. Essentially the cooking object would have an id, name, cook time, spoil time, and image/graphic(s) related to its build.

My ultimate question is this: How do you continue the process when not actually running the application? Is there a web service that should be running on the server somewhere keeping track of all this stuff? Or, does the environment just get updated when someone returns to the game?

I think the first should be more likely, because some games offer you notification options when certain things happen, like if a farm is ready. Any help would be greatly appreciated by anyone with Flash game dev experience.

Thank You!!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Behind the scenes action?

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Behind the scenes action?

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:10 AM

anyone?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

I do believe you would need your server to handle that if you want it to send notifications, yes. The API is simple, you'll just need a server or two to process all of the data if it will get as big as one of the games you mentioned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hey W3bDev, nice to see someone else developing in the facebook domain.

I'm using the facebook developers kit to develop a slot machine application.

You don't need to have a web service or anything else updating your database, You basically are going to perform the calculations to get the current state when you load the data from your database. Thats why all those games have that splash screen / loading screen when you load the app. They are basically pulling your data from the database then performing calculations on the data to determine the current state of the game. The rest of the state up-keep is done within the flash application / aspx webpage as timers and such.

Good Luck
Aet
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1