How to fund your Indie Video Game

New and Old ways to help fund your indie game endeavors.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 4968 Views - Last Post: 01 February 2010 - 01:06 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

How to fund your Indie Video Game

Post icon  Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

I fell onto an interesting article pertaining to different ways of funding your indie game projects. There is a new community site available called Kickstarter that attempts to leverage cash for your projects based on the general public's interest.

Check out the article here: Searching For Gold - The Challenge of Indie Game Funding

What are your thoughts/concerns? Do you think something like Kickstarter could begin shifting the way games are made? No longer would it be up to the big game publishers to decide what games get made and how. If the public wants something, they'll help pay for it.... Intriguing.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: How to fund your Indie Video Game

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to fund your Indie Video Game

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

Nice topic! I think this will be of interest to many game programmers here on DIC. I'm going to feature this thread and hopefully get some good discussion on this topic.

Thanks for finding this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

Thanks SixOfEleven. I was hoping there'd be some interest behind this. Sometimes I think we lose sight of what can be accomplished when the general public feels strong enough about something. Strength in numbers! If enough people support certain projects, the funding will be available.

Games are all about imagination and new ideas/ways of interacting with a computer. Why should it be stifled because only the big game publishers have the kind of cash required to make them a reality?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

View PostKeyboardKowboy, on 18 Jan, 2010 - 04:36 PM, said:

Games are all about imagination and new ideas/ways of interacting with a computer. Why should it be stifled because only the big game publishers have the kind of cash required to make them a reality?

That is entirely my feeling. I have, by far, the skills to create a top notch game but I lack the finicial resources to fund the assets that would go into the game, and the ability to create them. I always have to make do with free resources I can find on the internet. I'm at the moment making a independent start up. This article was very helpful and it gave me a lot to think about and many new ideas. I'm all for the little guy making the big hit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

Great article. As an indie developer, it caught my eye and I am interested. Funding is a big obstacle to get around and so anything that can help is worth looking at.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

I just chain my team in my basement and crack my whip.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 18 Jan, 2010 - 04:02 PM, said:

I just chain my team in my basement and crack my whip.

:ph34r: ...

Well either way, I'll keep this in mind, a bunch of 13-16 year-olds trying to make an MMO is no easy task, though Multimedia Fusion Developer 2 helps, it has limited functionality, and having some backup on hand would be nice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

This is great. Hopefully we will start seeing some more interesting/experimental games coming to the mainstream market.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

@Neotifa What! No cookies or chocolate?!

@KeyboardKowboy Sweet, looks interesting
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

officially started account, I will post my project soon, and do some advertising. My goal is still unknown. I am thinking maybe $2500... we shall see, I will do a little research first.

once I post it maybe you guys would donate a little......? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:36 PM

Hey Theaegd, glad to hear you're finding Kickstarter useful.

How was the registration process? And yes, please post when you have your project up there, I'd like to check it out...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:59 AM

i hope asking this here isnt against any rules, or irritates anyone, but i've been curious, what is it about games that require funding? myself and some friends have made a couple games, nothing too amazing, but entertaining nonetheless.
Is it paying for state of the art programs, and people to program or draw, or whatever, that is the roadblock? I could see needing funds for advertisement being an issue if your trying to sell your invention to the mass public. But otherwise its a little fuzzy for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:30 AM

what is it about games that require funding?

Time is money. In order to facilitate properly designing and implementing a 'hit' game, a lot of things need to be considered including infrastructure, talent, advertising, and support... and for those of us with full time jobs and/or families, funding is necessary to stay afloat while deciding to work on a game in at least somewhat of a regular basis, and one that will appeal to as many people as possible.

What type of games have you created? What platform(s) do they run on?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

View Postrykin666, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 12:59 AM, said:

but i've been curious, what is it about games that require funding?

I would like to just to add to what KeyboardKowboy said.

If you want to just make small fun games for you and your friends to play, then that is all cool. You can find plenty of free software that can get the job done, and in a relatively short amount of time if you know what you're doing. But you probably won't make any/much money from it.

If you expect to make money from your game, there are some standards that must be met before someone will actually use their hard earned dollars to pay for a game.

The first standard that people usually use to first judge a game is the graphics/artwork. Creating good graphics/artwork takes a lot of time, and the software to create these good graphics cost a lot of money. Photoshop itself costs $700 USD, plus if you want amazing 3D graphics you will want something like Maya or 3DS Max which both cost $3500 USD. Then you will need money to actually pay the artists who are both talented and knowledgable of these softwares. Or you might want to save yourself the cost of hiring an artist and do the art yourself, which will probably take you a lot more time to complete the game.

There are a lot more standards that I won't even get into because it would take way too much time. But I hope that gives you an idea of why people are so concerned about funding when making a video game.

This post has been edited by Fib: 20 January 2010 - 10:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:28 AM

To add to what Fib just said. Other than graphical art, you are going to need sound. Creating sounds for a game is not an easy task either. Usually you would the background music to fit the scene you are in. You could also need voice actors for a game. You might also need a script writer, for an RPG for example.

A more goes into a game than just programming and as, KeyboardKowboy pointed out: Time is money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +