2 Replies - 889 Views - Last Post: 19 January 2010 - 08:43 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

APPLE MAC PROGRAMMING HELP

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:38 AM

Hi all.

Im currently on my years placement and thinking of ideas for my final year uni project in which we have to create a forensic tool and present it.

My main idea so far that I am going to look into further is with Time Machine and Spotlight on the Mac.
I plan on creating a piece of software that will be able to retrieve keyword searches from spotlight and be able to create a kind of time line/life span of files through examining Time Machine entries.

Would this be possible to do and how would it go down as a project idea?
also, can any of you point me in the right direction as to good sources of research and where to start?
i obviously will need to buy a mac machine so need to know that this is a feasible idea.
Is the programming language cocoa or something like that? what it is like to learn and where should I start looking for books on programming on/with a mac?

I really want to get started on this asap.

Thanks in advance
(sorry for the long post and all the questions but I really want to get this started soon as im planning on spending my summer in the USA)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: APPLE MAC PROGRAMMING HELP

• No idea why my code works
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: APPLE MAC PROGRAMMING HELP

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

You will be programming in ObjectiveC. Cocca is the Mac API you will need. The easiest way would to be see if Spotlight outputs a log, if so you can gather searches from there. However since I'm not a fan of Mac, nor have I used those two pieces of software i can't help you much past that
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: APPLE MAC PROGRAMMING HELP

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

aah ok, thanks alot mate.

i need to think about this because i will most likely need to buy a mac laptop and theyre not cheap! haha

do you think this idea is possible then?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1