Spaghetti code can be soo Good

I love this spaghetti program. Right out of the 70's

  • (11 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »

159 Replies - 22193 Views - Last Post: 10 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

#1 SpectateSwamp  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 51
  • View blog
  • Posts: 243
  • Joined: 31-December 07

Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:56 AM

I love my vb5 / vb6 1 large program mess of spaghetti code. I just do. The program has been posted only to get a chorus of boos from the Perfect Perfects of the world. And Its the only program I need for everything. Video, music, pics and text plus a H of a lot more. Every bit of code from the 70's was spaghetti code and some damn fine work too. The thing that made coding great was "line numbers" VB stups took out line numbers but with my little desktop search. They are BACK in. So most of the error trapping happens at line 31000. (that was the line number I used in the 70's) Every goto is to a psuedo line number that immediately has a text string set as follows "line_number='10000'" and if the error in 'err' was "end of file" and line_number was "10000" that was my main read; so go prompt for new file info or whatever. Very spaghetti like and very easy to change quickly and test. When everything is and always will be in this one HUGE program.(10,000+lines) You can just Change and test; change and test (called jamming it) and results start to show and show fast. My Spaghetti advice is similar to my video camcorder advice. Break every old rule you can; those that won't break Keep. That got me the boot and my posts wiped from the face of the Net after some heated debate. Long live spaghetti code. Vive la whatever.

This post has been edited by SpectateSwamp: 20 January 2010 - 04:14 PM


Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

#2 sonicpp  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 18
  • View blog
  • Posts: 58
  • Joined: 08-January 10

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:19 AM

*
POPULAR

VB is for children who's mothers never loved them. Or the third best of triplets... never got the tit.
Was This Post Helpful? 9
  • +
  • -

#3 WolfCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon


Reputation: 782
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7,610
  • Joined: 05-May 05

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

It's like the opening poster is a bot where the operator forgot to place the actual ad in the nonsense text block designed to defeat filters.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#4 dorknexus  Icon User is offline

  • or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

Reputation: 1255
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,618
  • Joined: 02-May 04

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:21 AM

Quote

My Spaghetti advice is similar to my video camcorder advice.


wtf?

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 20 January 2010 - 07:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 WolfCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon


Reputation: 782
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7,610
  • Joined: 05-May 05

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:24 AM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 07:21 AM, said:

Quote

My Spaghetti advice is similar to my video camcorder advice.


wtf?


View PostWolfCoder, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 07:18 AM, said:

It's like the opening poster is a bot where the operator forgot to place the actual ad in the nonsense text block designed to defeat filters.


Especially if their name is SpectateSwamp as lots of these bot names are jibberish and/or just two random dictionary words thrown together.

edit:

Taking a look at their posts, I would have to say bot. Not sure what it's advertising though...

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 20 January 2010 - 07:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#6 SpectateSwamp  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 51
  • View blog
  • Posts: 243
  • Joined: 31-December 07

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:02 AM

View Postsonicpp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 04:19 AM, said:

VB is for children who's mothers never loved them. Or the third best of triplets... never got the tit.

Can't stand you "C" elitest Perfect Perfects either. You can't jam C like I can this Wonder program. Probably not. Most most probably not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 BenignDesign  Icon User is offline

  • holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon




Reputation: 5935
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10,346
  • Joined: 28-September 07

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:03 AM

Methinks someone has issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#8 Core  Icon User is offline

  • using System.Linq;
  • member icon

Reputation: 774
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,097
  • Joined: 08-December 08

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

@SpectateSwamp What is exactly your point? For the last two posts you didn't provide a decent argument for what you claim to be so good.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#9 Raynes  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 611
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,815
  • Joined: 05-January 09

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:12 AM

Heh, and people thing I'm smug. This guy is beating the drum from the other side.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#10 Gloin  Icon User is offline

  • Expert Schmexpert...
  • member icon

Reputation: 235
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,489
  • Joined: 04-August 08

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:16 AM

@Core>> That's because if he did, this would immediately be moved to the corner cubicle for being a serious discussion.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#11 SpectateSwamp  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 51
  • View blog
  • Posts: 243
  • Joined: 31-December 07

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

View PostCore, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 07:08 AM, said:

@SpectateSwamp What is exactly your point? For the last two posts you didn't provide a decent argument for what you claim to be so good.

I'm here to take you on; And your so called coding standards. To the CodeDaddy's eyes the program is always perfect. I have been jamming this spaghetti mess for years. Putting a noodle here another there. And Jam it again. Then stand back in wonder at the results; and so easy sometimes. Good design does that. Modular programs Phooie; double phooie

Nobody shares knowledge better than this. This program is the answer to everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#12 Raynes  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 611
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,815
  • Joined: 05-January 09

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

View PostSpectateSwamp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 07:28 AM, said:

View PostCore, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 07:08 AM, said:

@SpectateSwamp What is exactly your point? For the last two posts you didn't provide a decent argument for what you claim to be so good.

I'm here to take you on; And your so called coding standards. To the CodeDaddy's eyes the program is always perfect. I have been jamming this spaghetti mess for years. Putting a noodle here another there. And Jam it again. Then stand back in wonder at the results; and so easy sometimes. Good design does that. Modular programs Phooie; double phooie

Nobody shares knowledge better than this. This program is the answer to everything.


A certain song by Trapt just started playing in my head.

BACK OFF, I'LL TAKE YOU ON! HEADSTRONG, TO TAKE ON ANYONE!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#13 TriggaMike  Icon User is offline

  • Using up all your 1's and 0's
  • member icon

Reputation: 85
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,103
  • Joined: 26-September 08

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:54 AM

View PostSpectateSwamp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 07:02 AM, said:

View Postsonicpp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 04:19 AM, said:

VB is for children who's mothers never loved them. Or the third best of triplets... never got the tit.

Can't stand you "C" elitest Perfect Perfects either. You can't jam C like I can this Wonder program. Probably not. Most most probably not.


If you're a real programmer you should be able to make more flexible, faster, and more robust applications faster in C, Java, C++, C#, or whatever language you prefer, but NOT VB. What does that second letter stand for? Basic?

PLEASE argue that some larger corporations use VB for their enterprise level software. Guess what? Larger Corporations are looking for a cheap product, not a good product. IMO VB is a cheap gutting of program that is used by people who neither have the time, nor conviction to actually program, or people who want results fast and dirty.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#14 Raynes  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 611
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,815
  • Joined: 05-January 09

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

View PostTriggaMike, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 07:54 AM, said:

View PostSpectateSwamp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 07:02 AM, said:

View Postsonicpp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 04:19 AM, said:

VB is for children who's mothers never loved them. Or the third best of triplets... never got the tit.

Can't stand you "C" elitest Perfect Perfects either. You can't jam C like I can this Wonder program. Probably not. Most most probably not.


If you're a real programmer you should be able to make more flexible, faster, and more robust applications faster in C, Java, C++, C#, or whatever language you prefer, but NOT VB. What does that second letter stand for? Basic?

PLEASE argue that some larger corporations use VB for their enterprise level software. Guess what? Larger Corporations are looking for a cheap product, not a good product. IMO VB is a cheap gutting of program that is used by people who neither have the time, nor conviction to actually program, or people who want results fast and dirty.


I like you. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#15 Nykc  Icon User is offline

  • Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

Reputation: 726
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8,638
  • Joined: 14-September 07

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

Ooh this is getting good. An argument for VB with no standing ground, no foundation laid, no basis for your argument. Just a VB fanboy at this point. Please prove us wrong I would love to read about this debate.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

  • (11 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »