• +
  • Last »

159 Replies - 24353 Views - Last Post: 10 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

Apparently y'all aren't acquainted with The Daily WTF, where our new pal SpectateSwamp is LEGENDARY.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• His name was Robert Paulson.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

My current job has me programming in VB.Net. I feel dirty everytime I get home. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:29 AM

Tell you what. You write an operating system with VB. Then we'll talk.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

... I'm supposed to be using VB to move some databases around at work. Meh. I went as far as reading 1 tutorial, and quit. There aren't any real good VBA tutorials out there, hardly any real support as far as I'm concerned (even here I get lost), and VB is just very broad. Besides, they're ending support with VB anyways and using Java for macros these days. Or so I heard. As I see it, from personal experience, VB code is like very ambiguous pseudocode used for the most basic of projects, done quick and dirty. Theres no real security for it, it's very broad, and gives me a fucking headache! Face it gramps, line numbers and gotos are a thing of the past. Sure, its good for hobbying, but industries frown upon it these days and see it as bad form. You're outnumbered. Us young whippersnappers are taking you outta business!

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 20 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

@JackOfAllTrades I recognized that name almost immediately. He was pretty much ran off from there for being a troll

If you're a real programmer you should be able to make more flexible, faster, and more robust applications faster in C, Java, C++, C#, or whatever language you prefer, but NOT VB. What does that second letter stand for? Basic?

PLEASE argue that some larger corporations use VB for their enterprise level software. Guess what? Larger Corporations are looking for a cheap product, not a good product. IMO VB is a cheap gutting of program that is used by people who neither have the time, nor conviction to actually program, or people who want results fast and dirty.

Ok let's turn this into a flame war since it seems evident this is what you would like to do ..... WRONG (as long as you're referring to VB.NET, not VB6 *shudder*)

View Postsonicpp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 07:29 AM, said:

You write one period, in any language then we'll talk :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 08:34 AM, said:

... I'm supposed to be using VB to move some databases around at work. Meh. I went as far as reading 1 tutorial, and quit. There aren't any real good VBA tutorials out there, hardly any real support as far as I'm concerned (even here I get lost), and VB is just very broad. Besides, they're ending support with VB anyways and using Java for macros these days. Or so I heard. As I see it, from personal experience, VB code is like very ambiguous pseudocode used for the most basic of projects, done quick and dirty. Theres no real security for it, it's very broad, and gives me a fucking headache! Face it gramps, line numbers and gotos are a thing of the past. Sure, its good for hobbying, but industries frown upon it these days and see it as bad form. You're outnumbered. Us young whippersnappers are taking you outta business!

Did you say... MACRO!?!?!?!

(defmacro imamacrothatwontevaluatemyargumentsuntilyouwantmetoohehe [lol]
  `(println "Haha! I didn't evaluate my argument!!!!"))

user> (imamacrothatwontevaluatemyargumentsuntilyouwantmetoohehe (println "Hello!"))
Haha! I didn't evaluate my argument!!!!
nil

MACRO!!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

??? Wtf are you talking about? VBA is a form of VB used by Microsoft Excel for Macros. I dunno if that cleared up what you're supposedly flaming me for or not, but oh well. The guy who tasked me said I could write them in Java. *shrug* I should've tried, but I just tried to learn VB.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 09:12 AM, said:

??? Wtf are you talking about? VBA is a form of VB used by Microsoft Excel for Macros. I dunno if that cleared up what you're supposedly flaming me for or not, but oh well. The guy who tasked me said I could write them in Java. *shrug* I should've tried, but I just tried to learn VB.

http://en.wikipedia....%29#Lisp_macros

It was a joke. I guess non-lispers don't find macro jokes funny. :(

EDIT: I wasn't flaming you.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 20 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

Oh. Yea, totally blew over my head...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

View Postsonicpp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 08:29 AM, said:

The operating system is just the canvas on which Desktop Search is painted. Search like this is far more useful than other dumb ol programs, OS or otherwise. All things are possible with this simple language. That I have superior access to all my digital info, there is no doubt. And that is what computing is all about. Superiority.

I guess that is the problem "talking" to people who have never written a Search engine. You couldn't possibly have a clue. No matter what bloody language you haven't written it in. You are still clueless
Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

View PostSpectateSwamp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 10:50 AM, said:

The operating system is just the canvas on which Desktop Search is painted. Search like this is far more useful than other dumb ol programs, OS or otherwise. All things are possible with this simple language. That I have superior access to all my digital info, there is no doubt. And that is what computing is all about. Superiority.

I guess that is the problem "talking" to people who have never written a Search engine. You couldn't possibly have a clue. No matter what bloody language you haven't written it in. You are still clueless

This guy is hilarious.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

Let's put it this way. In your case - talk is cheap. Why not show us all what you've done? Give us the possiblity to look at your uber-search engine. Unless you do that, all that you've said before has zero value.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

View PostRaynes, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 01:34 PM, said:

View PostSpectateSwamp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 10:50 AM, said:

This guy is hilarious.

QFT. This guy should take up comedy. He'd be good at it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

Has no one here seen Borat? Keep arguing. It's entertainment to those in on the joke. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

View PostSpectateSwamp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 10:02 AM, said:

View Postsonicpp, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 04:19 AM, said:

VB is for children who's mothers never loved them. Or the third best of triplets... never got the tit.

Can't stand you "C" elitest Perfect Perfects either. You can't jam C like I can this Wonder program. Probably not. Most most probably not.

You do know that C has a goto statement right?

Also, wtf?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »