• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

159 Replies - 23032 Views - Last Post: 10 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Spaghetti code can be soo Good

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

Before everybody gets too enflamed and before I lay it all out on a platter for you non VB5 people. I'm looking to get a couple Specialty MetaData dumps written. Language doesn't matter.

I can't stand the idea of meta data in music, pictures and video files either. Anyhow I have soiled my VB code with the Mp3 metadata logic and would just as soon remove it. What I would like to provide is a text file that will be used for the mpg, mp3 and jpg extracts. So no directory look up is required. It will have 2 lines #1 is the archive info and #2 is the path to the file. Ie

"photo scapture0229 of dreamincode response to spaghetti code"
"xxx.c:\search\webscreens\scapture0229.jpg"

the "photo " and "xxx." are for my purposes and are needed. The rest of the mp3 mpg and jpg meta data could be overwritten on EXTRACT (I'll keep copies) in what ever format the uploader would need as well (gendre=???/artise=???/). I just want to be able to pull out MD search it and do some displays based on it with my SSDS search and possibly jam a different set of MD back into the same mp3, mpg or jpg. Those are the only formats I'm interested in. Thanks and now back to flaming. I don't think anybody here is capable of doing this. Do I have to do it myself. Some old fart with VB5 showing you all up. How bad would that be.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

View PostCore, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 11:42 AM, said:

Let's put it this way. In your case - talk is cheap. Why not show us all what you've done? Give us the possiblity to look at your uber-search engine. Unless you do that, all that you've said before has zero value.

You are right. I had the source up till just recently. I got tired of techies checking out the code and saying no way; never even looking at the results and possibilities that are there right Now. So. Being you asked so so nicely I'm puting the source.txt up right away at:
http://www.telusplan...edan/source.txt
It's there now.

Grab a copy of the search.exe there as well. I'll show you how to do shit that is pure simple and powerful very very powerful. All in this dumb VB5 program. Maybe even double Dumb dumb ol VB5 program.

Could be the finest mess of spaghetti code ever conceived. Hope so.

My Forum rules: Break every dumb forum thread rule you can. Those you can't break leave. By forum I mean Desktop Search / Meta data / digital video / Spaghetti code / ....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

Didn't mean to scare you away. You all don't have to start doing extracts geez. Just saying that having a massive messy jamed spaghetti code program can be fun. Maybe even exciting. It has a few minor things done for speed. the screen refresh is turned off. When searching for numeric values the shift to Upper case isn't needed. When not searching in context mode. the characters read stats are skipped. If you make the most unlikely search term first (ie a number) the 2nd 3rd 4th 5th and 6th search terms get skipped. HINT: when looking at the code look for the #1 or #2 or #3 prompts. That is where most of the action and defaults are checked and set. Being able to run background jobs and wait for them to complete is fun and makes the program changes required to do random text very simple. Random is just more fun too. Having 5000+ family pictures scanned from the getgo it became obvious random was a must. The other desktop searches just can't touch this search. This mass of spaghetti is beautiful

Check out the flowcharts for the hi-lite / line wrap logic. Compare it to the code re the line numbers. Flowcharting Spaghetti code works.

http://www.telusplan...edan/pict01.jpg
http://www.telusplan...edan/pict02.jpg
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

So.... this is a "gimme t3h c0d3z!!1!!1!!" thread?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

i love this guy. i myself am about to go jam on some ruby. double damn mofo's. double damn.

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 21 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

Why is this not a featured thread?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Using up all your 1's and 0's
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

And then you try to expand you program, or someone breaks your program, or you're debugging your program, and guess what happens?
Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

It gets worse. He's out of laundry detergent.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

View PostTriggaMike, on 21 Jan, 2010 - 12:21 PM, said:

And then you try to expand you program, or someone breaks your program, or you're debugging your program, and guess what happens?

They go back and activate some display boxes and jam it again. No debugger ever used here. All deactivated displays. Everywhere. This program has been changing for 10 years. The last couple not so much. Some pure pure junk in the code that I even thought of removing. The flowcharts were because the hi-lite and line wrap was the hardest to get right. 3 days of flowcharting and program changes and jamming it. That is what did the display. Works really well. May be ugly. But it works. You can follow the code through. It's all there. Flowcharts were handy. Very handy. Especially when you are dealing with spaghetti.

Follow the delayed print changes. See how simple that was. I love delayed LARGE print. You could too. Search the code for "cmd(77)" when code is good; changes can happen easily. Nobody has ever volunteered to put a nice skin on it. That's all it needs is a pretty skin to cover. So do that when you are finished with the extract and uploads
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 21 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:50 PM

When I was a kid I wanted to be a photographer (like my mom) and so I started asking for all this nice equipment and asking if I could use my mom's stuff...

She sat me down with a book of photographs taken by some masters. These photos were excellent! Great composition, compelling stories, wonderful contrasts... just really fantastic photos.

My mother explained to me that these pictures were all taken with various "cheap" off-the-shelf cameras and one photographer had only used a pinhole camera he made.

Her point to me was that art is not made by fancy tools. It is made by understanding the art form.

Programming is the same way. You can write great programs in any robust language. VB6 is just fine, you can create great programs with it -- sure it may have its flaws but there is nothing the computer can do that can't be done in VB6, or C, or C++... Its all about what you as a programmer can do. VB6 tends to encourage some poor programming habits... but a good programmer can overcome the language.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

Does anyone know what the code does or if it even works? It seems to be too messy for me to understand... If only it was organized better... :ohno: Oh well. ROFL Feature this!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

Just you wait till NeoTifa needs more confetti and shredded your Flowcharts.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Using up all your 1's and 0's
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:04 PM

View PostSpectateSwamp, on 21 Jan, 2010 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostTriggaMike, on 21 Jan, 2010 - 12:21 PM, said:

They go back and activate some display boxes and jam it again. No debugger ever used here. All deactivated displays. Everywhere. This program has been changing for 10 years. The last couple not so much. Some pure pure junk in the code that I even thought of removing. The flowcharts were because the hi-lite and line wrap was the hardest to get right. 3 days of flowcharting and program changes and jamming it. That is what did the display. Works really well. May be ugly. But it works. You can follow the code through. It's all there. Flowcharts were handy. Very handy. Especially when you are dealing with spaghetti.

Follow the delayed print changes. See how simple that was. I love delayed LARGE print. You could too. Search the code for "cmd(77)" when code is good; changes can happen easily. Nobody has ever volunteered to put a nice skin on it. That's all it needs is a pretty skin to cover. So do that when you are finished with the extract and uploads

I think they might have a position for you on the MS Office team or the IE Team. If you take that as a compliment... lol
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:23 PM

View Postpakkuman_shinde, on 21 Jan, 2010 - 05:52 PM, said:

Does anyone know what the code does or if it even works? It seems to be too messy for me to understand... If only it was organized better... :ohno: Oh well. ROFL Feature this!

3 Main prompts with defaults (usually) Prompt #1 the file to search. Prompt #2 the search type. "c" for context "s" matching lines only etc. Prompt #3 the search value ie "dog". Once text was found the next step was if the next line had the path to a picture then display that. Then make it run as a screen saver. Then came video with the ability to change the speed, freeze on any frame and slow motion. Music got included as well. When you have lots of digital info. You need random. This search is built to be jammed, killed and restarted with the defaults in place making it fast fast on the restart. That's about it. along with background versions of itself and a lot lot more.

This post has been edited by SpectateSwamp: 22 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »