cold fusion conversion

help convert to another code

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1737 Views - Last Post: 26 January 2010 - 02:09 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

cold fusion conversion

Post icon  Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

I have a program designed for my business in cold fusion. it was web based that we could access it and have multi-users. I want to know if it can be converted to a more usable language[font=Garamond][size=4]
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: cold fusion conversion

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: cold fusion conversion

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

View Postlaurino, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 09:43 AM, said:

I have a program designed for my business in cold fusion. it was web based that we could access it and have multi-users. I want to know if it can be converted to a more usable language[font=Garamond][size=4]

Generally different codes can always be converted. I don't know what you mean by more usable, but if you mean easier to put up on any server then you would want PHP probably. Of course that would mean a hell of a lot of coding.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: cold fusion conversion

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Laurino:

First things first, you'll need to define "usable". Is the app itself wonky, difficult to use and unintuitive? If so, that's not really a language issue. That's a developer issue and any reasonably proficient CF dev can make changes to your existing app to have it do pretty much whatever you can dream up.

If you're saying "usable" in terms of how easy it is to maintain, expand, and so on then I'd suggest that CF is pretty much the easiest to maintain language out there. Much less of a learning curve than ASP, PHP, Perl, JSP and such.

However, to answer your question: yes, any app can be converted from one language to another. There is no engine that you can feed CF into and get PHP or ASP out though. The conversion itself would require a dev proficient in both CF (so he can read and discern the existing code) as well as the language you'd be porting it over to (ASP, PHP) so he could write it and make it effective. It would likely be time consuming and expensive but that would depend on the scope of the existing app and the skill of the developer.

As an aside, and not to insult anyone here, you might be tempted to offshore such a task thinking that $10/hr for a CF coder would be a great bargain when compared to $45/hr for a domestic dev. You will almost certainly regret such a move. I'd say 3/4 of my contracting jobs are picking up the mess from offshored efforts wherein the language barrier, lack of skill, incompatible hours, difficult communications and such destroyed any perceived savings.

My 2c.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1