My take on violent video games

  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »

64 Replies - 2481 Views - Last Post: 23 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

#1 optix212  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 27
  • View blog
  • Posts: 509
  • Joined: 10-October 09

My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

This is from a paper i wrote a couple of weeks ago, and i think that the world should take a look at my take on it. It goes into the political side of violent video games, and since i am from the US, i contrasted from a US point of view. But i still urge anyone from any different country to read it, so they can maybe have a firm opinion on the subject if and when their country tries to ban a video game.

My paper:

Quote

Video game violence, and why is should be allowed
Video games have been around for years, but not until recently has technology gotten so advanced as to allow video game programmers to make different types of games. Only a few years ago there was only a small selection of games, which consisted of pong, tetris, etc. Now, there are countless videogames, most of which are violent. Violence is not a bad thing, when done in moderation. I'm not saying to go pull a Hitler and kill millions of people, but when you are stressed, go play some Grand Theft Auto and get your anger out by hijacking vehicles, and rampaging down the streets of some fictitious city with a rocket launcher. When you feel like the world is on your shoulders, and there is nothing left to do but dwell on your own sorrow, just pick up a video game and start shooting, it's as simple as that. I usually find solace in the most inconspicuous of places, one of them including, but not limited to, violent video games. Politicians that demote the idea of violence are usually masochistic old men that sit in their homes and possibly beat their wives. Do you really want to be a wife beater?

Furthermore, violence is the soul of the video game industry, and the video game industry, believe it or not, makes up almost half of the whole entertainment industry. Violence makes up more than seventy percent of the video game industry, therefore if violence were to be banned from videogames all together, the industry would most likely crash, or it would be picked up by the very arms that tore it down, the politicians. Videogames is one of the only industries in the United States that doesn't get a lot of censorship from the government, and the sole reason for this is because the video game industry wasn't until now profitable, and technology is just now getting advanced enough to implement violence into video games. Games like Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Halo, and Gears of War are all videogames that are considered violent. These games are considered violent just because the characters die, and there is a lot of fighting. In comparison, tough, the real world is just the same as this. How can the government fight to outlaw guns and fighting from video games when they wage wars? How are the game programmers the bad guys when they get most of their ideas from the same place that is trying to tear them down, the government?

As most people know, video games come with a rating on the back ranging from E for Everyone, and M for Mature. The people that make these ratings are a non-government funded organization called the Entertainment Software Rating Board, or ESRB. A few years ago, the government tried to outlaw violent video games, but the ESRB decided that it would be in the best interest of the people to just create a law stating that you can not buy a videogame rated Mature if you were not at least seventeen years old. This was a big win for the video game industry, and for gamers around the world. But that wasn't the end of the war. The government is still trying to get its blackened hands on one of our most commonly used tools for natural stress release. But don't think that the government doesn't know that violence is a good form of stress release, as they are all too well informed about this. The government thinks that if they can put an end to all forms of natural stress release, they can get more money from us by buying drugs like Zoloft or Klonopin, which are anti-depressants, from the doctors. Doctors who pay very, very high taxes.

The main reason that the government has not succeeded in manipulating the video game industry is firstly, because video game programmers are usually smart and well informed, and secondly because videogames are more anticipated than any movie, and yield a much higher profit. The Halo series was so anticipated that people actually stood in line for seventy two hours to buy the game. World of Warcraft, as nerdy as it is, has shattered video game industry records with over eleven million players, all paying fifteen dollars a month! The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 video game is the top selling videogame of the year. Why is this important? Because is was also voted the most violent. I also play Modern Warfare, and have played Halo, which most of us have, and I am a very passive person. Most gamers i see are nerds that would't hurt a fly, and think that fighting and real life violence is for the weak minded, and if you look around you, you will see that this is true.

Now as I reach the closing words of my speech, I have a few questions for you to ponder. Is it right for the government to censor what is said in our very own constitution can not be censored? Is it right for the government to make videogames illegal, when they are only made for the sole purpose of entertainment? Think about this while I inform you that it is not right to sit and stare at a television screen and watch this happen. It is our moral obligation to stand up and tell the government that there is no way we are going to let this happen. Even if you despise videogames, what if it was your idea getting censored? What if you wanted to tell a message to millions of people, and got your project done, only to be turned down by your very own government? The very government that tells you that all ideas are accepted, and nothing is censored. Our growing generation is finally beginning to realize that this is not the truth. With the invention of the internet, and more advanced forms of communication we are finally able to see this countries government for what it really is, corrupt.


It didn't have to be a certain length, because my professor is just cool like that. All it had to do was make a valid point. Which i think i achieved :P

This post has been edited by optix212: 20 January 2010 - 02:16 PM


Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: My take on violent video games

#2 KYA  Icon User is offline

  • g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

Reputation: 3105
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,144
  • Joined: 14-September 07

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 optix212  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 27
  • View blog
  • Posts: 509
  • Joined: 10-October 09

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:16 PM

Sorry KYA, it didn't double space the paragraphs for some reason, it's legible now lol :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 zombie_chan51  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 7
  • View blog
  • Posts: 327
  • Joined: 16-March 08

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

thank god, now i want to read it

interesting reading! :D

This post has been edited by zombie_chan51: 20 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Nykc  Icon User is offline

  • Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

Reputation: 729
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8,642
  • Joined: 14-September 07

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

Quote

Only a few years ago there was only a small selection of games, which consisted of pong, tetris, etc.


http://en.wikipedia....modore_64_games

Shall I find a list of all the Atari, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Intellivision, Collecovision, Apple ][ games?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 supersloth  Icon User is offline

  • serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon


Reputation: 4503
  • View blog
  • Posts: 28,411
  • Joined: 21-March 01

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

GAMES FORUM!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 optix212  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 27
  • View blog
  • Posts: 509
  • Joined: 10-October 09

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

@nykc: I was trying to point out when video games first started. The ones that people really remember are pong. Remember that speeches shouldn't just appeal to people of your selected topic. If i got into games like metroid and Mike Tyson's Punchout, sure, gamers would most likely know what I'm talking about. But what about the people that have never played a video game? They have at least heard of pong and tetris. Our class was told to think about our audience above everything else, and that is what i did :)

@supersloth: I was thinking about posting this in the games forum, but seeing how is has nothing to do with the creation of games, and it is just a paper about violence in video games, i thought the caffine lounge would be more appropriate. If it needs to be moved, i do not object :)

This post has been edited by optix212: 20 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 bflosabre91  Icon User is offline

  • go sabres

Reputation: 105
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,439
  • Joined: 22-February 08

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

i stopped reading after the first sentence. IS
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Nykc  Icon User is offline

  • Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

Reputation: 729
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8,642
  • Joined: 14-September 07

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

View Postoptix212, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 03:33 PM, said:

@nykc: I was trying to point out when video games first started. The ones that people really remember are pong. Remember that speeches shouldn't just appeal to people of your selected topic. If i got into games like metroid and Mike Tyson's Punchout, sure, gamers would most likely know what I'm talking about. But what about the people that have never played a video game? They have at least heard of pong and tetris. Our class was told to think about our audience above everything else, and that is what i did :)

@supersloth: I was thinking about posting this in the games forum, but seeing how is has nothing to do with the creation of games, and it is just a paper about violence in video games, i thought the caffine lounge would be more appropriate. If it needs to be moved, i do not object :)


Even the Atari 2600 boasted over 500+ video games. So how far back you going. I also don't know of many people that never played a video game given the fact the number of units consoles have sold dating back to the Atari 2600. Yes that is right your Grandpa rocked the 2600 - I can almost promise that.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 20 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 optix212  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 27
  • View blog
  • Posts: 509
  • Joined: 10-October 09

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

Actually, he was fond of the Circus Atari :)

I see your point, but I still had to use video games that everyone had heard of, just in case. Either way, i didn't want to go for hours listing all of the video games that were made. Furthermore, i know that there are ten times more video games on the shelves today than what there was back in the day, which is the point that i was trying to get at :P

This post has been edited by optix212: 20 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Nykc  Icon User is offline

  • Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

Reputation: 729
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8,642
  • Joined: 14-September 07

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

I would have went along the lines of "With the rapid advancement of graphics technology, the level of detail in video games has increased drastically allowing for potentially disturbing and accurate portrayals of lifelike violence in video games.."

I am sure it can even be worded better, I am just rambling off the top of my head here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9269
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34,766
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

View Postoptix212, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 03:11 PM, said:

This is from a paper i wrote a couple of weeks ago, and i think that the world should take a look at my take on it. It goes into the political side of violent video games, and since i am from the US, i contrasted from a US point of view. But i still urge anyone from any different country to read it, so they can maybe have a firm opinion on the subject if and when their country tries to ban a video game.

My paper:

Quote

Video game violence, and why is should be allowed
Video games have been around for years, but not until recently has technology gotten so advanced as to allow video game programmers to make different types of games. Only a few years ago there was only a small selection of games, which consisted of pong, tetris, etc. Now, there are countless videogames, most of which are violent. Violence is not a bad thing, when done in moderation. I'm not saying to go pull a Hitler and kill millions of people, but when you are stressed, go play some Grand Theft Auto and get your anger out by hijacking vehicles, and rampaging down the streets of some fictitious city with a rocket launcher. When you feel like the world is on your shoulders, and there is nothing left to do but dwell on your own sorrow, just pick up a video game and start shooting, it's as simple as that. I usually find solace in the most inconspicuous of places, one of them including, but not limited to, violent video games. Politicians that demote the idea of violence are usually masochistic old men that sit in their homes and possibly beat their wives. Do you really want to be a wife beater?

Furthermore, violence is the soul of the video game industry, and the video game industry, believe it or not, makes up almost half of the whole entertainment industry. Violence makes up more than seventy percent of the video game industry, therefore if violence were to be banned from videogames all together, the industry would most likely crash, or it would be picked up by the very arms that tore it down, the politicians. Videogames is one of the only industries in the United States that doesn't get a lot of censorship from the government, and the sole reason for this is because the video game industry wasn't until now profitable, and technology is just now getting advanced enough to implement violence into video games. Games like Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Halo, and Gears of War are all videogames that are considered violent. These games are considered violent just because the characters die, and there is a lot of fighting. In comparison, tough, the real world is just the same as this. How can the government fight to outlaw guns and fighting from video games when they wage wars? How are the game programmers the bad guys when they get most of their ideas from the same place that is trying to tear them down, the government?

As most people know, video games come with a rating on the back ranging from E for Everyone, and M for Mature. The people that make these ratings are a non-government funded organization called the Entertainment Software Rating Board, or ESRB. A few years ago, the government tried to outlaw violent video games, but the ESRB decided that it would be in the best interest of the people to just create a law stating that you can not buy a videogame rated Mature if you were not at least seventeen years old. This was a big win for the video game industry, and for gamers around the world. But that wasn't the end of the war. The government is still trying to get its blackened hands on one of our most commonly used tools for natural stress release. But don't think that the government doesn't know that violence is a good form of stress release, as they are all too well informed about this. The government thinks that if they can put an end to all forms of natural stress release, they can get more money from us by buying drugs like Zoloft or Klonopin, which are anti-depressants, from the doctors. Doctors who pay very, very high taxes.

The main reason that the government has not succeeded in manipulating the video game industry is firstly, because video game programmers are usually smart and well informed, and secondly because videogames are more anticipated than any movie, and yield a much higher profit. The Halo series was so anticipated that people actually stood in line for seventy two hours to buy the game. World of Warcraft, as nerdy as it is, has shattered video game industry records with over eleven million players, all paying fifteen dollars a month! The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 video game is the top selling videogame of the year. Why is this important? Because is was also voted the most violent. I also play Modern Warfare, and have played Halo, which most of us have, and I am a very passive person. Most gamers i see are nerds that would't hurt a fly, and think that fighting and real life violence is for the weak minded, and if you look around you, you will see that this is true.

Now as I reach the closing words of my speech, I have a few questions for you to ponder. Is it right for the government to censor what is said in our very own constitution can not be censored? Is it right for the government to make videogames illegal, when they are only made for the sole purpose of entertainment? Think about this while I inform you that it is not right to sit and stare at a television screen and watch this happen. It is our moral obligation to stand up and tell the government that there is no way we are going to let this happen. Even if you despise videogames, what if it was your idea getting censored? What if you wanted to tell a message to millions of people, and got your project done, only to be turned down by your very own government? The very government that tells you that all ideas are accepted, and nothing is censored. Our growing generation is finally beginning to realize that this is not the truth. With the invention of the internet, and more advanced forms of communication we are finally able to see this countries government for what it really is, corrupt.


It didn't have to be a certain length, because my professor is just cool like that. All it had to do was make a valid point. Which i think i achieved :P


My two cents on the over all presentation to help make your next paper marginally better.

Fail: fact checking
Fail: argument creation
Fail: conclusion
Fail: structure
Fail: warrants (not even a "Cherry Pie" for our pain)
Fail: relevant conclusion: the chain of arguments - violent videogames lead to us realizing the government is corrupt - is lacking?
Fail: insightful conclusion - the government is corrupt? Indeed. Newsflash the sky is usually blue, gravity likes to hover around 9.8 m/s^2, and 2+2 tends to equal 4.

Quote

Only a few years ago there was only a small selection of games, which consisted of pong, tetris, etc.

Please /sarcasm Arcades back in the day had tons of games. Platform jumpers, top down tank battles on Atari, Duckhunt, board games, top down shooters (galaga), and so forth. The average arcade was filled to the brim with games - assuming you look at it on a total number of games available per year.


Quote

Now, there are countless videogames, most of which are violent.

Most are violent? I am not so sure about that. Have you seen the berth of damn virtual pet games? Those alone offset a larger percentage of non violent games for casual gamers. A cursory look at amazon shows:
# Early Childhood (2)
# Everyone (136)
# Everyone 10+ (51)
# Teen (60)
# Mature (43)


Quote

Now as I reach the closing words of my speech, I have a few questions for you to ponder.

Grrr.. I hate.. hate.. hate this crutch used in closings. If I could beat children with yard sticks to get that point across I would with glee.

Additionally I hope this isn't a research paper, or some sort of persuasive paper. It's extremely informal - almost 'email discussion' informal.

Quote

"The government thinks that if they can put an end to all forms of natural stress release, they can get more money from us by buying drugs like Zoloft or Klonopin, which are anti-depressants, from the doctors. Doctors who pay very, very high taxes."

I am confused "why" I should allow violent vidoegames... is it to stop some evil government conspiracy? We need to stand up to The Man and his pill popp'n ways?

I'll avoid the overt syntax hunt and leave that for some other grammarian.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 optix212  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 27
  • View blog
  • Posts: 509
  • Joined: 10-October 09

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

That actually sounds very good. How much do you charge to do exams? :P

@modi: lol dude, it was just a paper that i made an A on. No video games are not the point of corruption in government, but they are one of the very few things that aren't censored by the US's government today.

This post has been edited by optix212: 20 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 supersloth  Icon User is offline

  • serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon


Reputation: 4503
  • View blog
  • Posts: 28,411
  • Joined: 21-March 01

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

holy shit you got an A on that? does your teacher have the downs?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9269
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34,766
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: My take on violent video games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

View Postoptix212, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 03:50 PM, said:

That actually sounds very good. How much do you charge to do exams? :P

Who's this directed at?

View Postoptix212, on 20 Jan, 2010 - 03:50 PM, said:

@modi: lol dude, it was just a paper that i made an A on. No video games are not the point of corruption in government, but they are one of the very few things that aren't censored by the US's government today.

A on? Hmm.. I wish now to add your teacher to the list of people to get thrashed (mildly though) with a yard stick.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »