9 Replies - 1471 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2010 - 07:10 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

"Software Engineering"

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

As a new semester starts new ideas begin to pour in. As a senior, one of the courses I'm taking is "Software Design & Development" which is essentially Software Engineering.

My question to the readers of this forum is: What does Software Engineering mean to you?

Also, do you believe that this course should be taught once a student enters college or as late as the senior year?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: "Software Engineering"

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: "Software Engineering"

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

To me, software engineering is a systematic way of approaching software design, development, deployment, and maintenance.

I think it's fine to be taught senior year because it should really incorporate much of what you've learned so far. I had to take a software engineering course that was mostly focused on design. That was like my sophomore year.

A more useful class (and I would say a more software engineering-like class) was a compiler course which required we implement a C compiler in groups of 3-4. We devoted like 100-150 man hours on each project and there were 4 projects. It was fairly similar to the software process which I encountered when I worked as an intern for a software engineering section of company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

This is the course I want to take when I'm done with my Alevels :) What sort of career opportunities does this open up?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

@Dark_Nexus: On the one hand I agree it should be taught later on. Such as in senior year. On the other hand, I go to a college that has a co-op program (basically an internship for a semester). What made me bring this question up is that after the co-op semester was over and we got back to classes during the semester, one of my professors was talking about how one of the company's didn't hire any of the college's students because they hadn't taken a Software Engineering course.
P.S. Compiler design is next semester for me.

@Barnz: As far as what career opportunities it opens up. I would think it would open quite a few opportunities versus someone that hadn't taken this class. As of right now we haven't even gone into coding yet. A lot of it is finding out what's required from software to hardware to drawing diagrams and flowcharts and ER Diagrams. I'm so used to just thinking up an idea, drawing a basic sketch and then heading right into coding it.

I think it's one of the "cooler" courses I'm taking this semester. I am enjoying it and looking forward to the end result.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 20 January 2010 - 07:51 PM, said:

A more useful class (and I would say a more software engineering-like class) was a compiler course which required we implement a C compiler in groups of 3-4. We devoted like 100-150 man hours on each project and there were 4 projects. It was fairly similar to the software process which I encountered when I worked as an intern for a software engineering section of company.

Implement as in "use" or implement as in "write your own"? If the latter, then that seems pretty ...advanced. When on earth would you ever need to write your own compiler?

This post has been edited by Tsunami14: 18 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

I believe he meant implement as in "write your own."

I think it might be useful in that you may want your code parsed in a certain way. I'm not really sure what other uses there are for a custom compiler.

This post has been edited by college_trained: 18 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

I am doing "software Engineering" course too. I think its a great course, it teaches you to organize your code properly and handle exceptions in it. Since i have no practical experience of software development, i was wondering if we practically spend that much time on quality and error handling?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

If you're getting a Computer Science degree, writing a compiler is certainly within the realm of possibility during your senior year at a decent school.

I'll be doing software engineering also. It's required for my degree.

This post has been edited by xclite: 04 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hey all,

Sorry it's taken me this long to form a reply. Lots of school work and coding was going on over the past month and a half. The final product came out well. My team had to present that final product to our class last Monday (I hate presentations) but the presentation went as well as it could.
The semester is over and I learned quite a bit about deadlines and what is required to put out a quality piece of software.

This summer semester: compiler design. I'm kind of afraid of this course because of how difficult it is said to be. My professor has already said it is going to be the toughest course of the semester and possibly my college career. So we will see how that goes next week when the summer semester starts.

@emerald_gal: In my experience with the project I finished in my software design course, I think that there is a lot of quality assurance and error handling that goes into software engineering.

@xclite: I think most Computer Science concentrations would require at least a basic compiler design course before graduation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:10 AM

I've taken quite a few software engineering related courses for my Bachelors of Science in Software Development, and have been quite happy with a lot of the concepts taught, and the material read.

To me, Software Engineering is a higher level look at software design and implementation. It is more of the planning/structural phase of the design. A lot of what is taught here is more theory, or best practices in my opinion as well. I would definitely recommend such a course to any software developer who wanted to sharpen their skill-set.

As far as career opportunities go, that is kind-of a *moot point, as I know very few employers that will hire just for taking a single course. It must be part of a bigger picture project, for example: a software related degree.

If your degree is not in software, but in another technology, this will at least give you a grasp of good practices and positive logical thought processes.

This post has been edited by W3bDev: 12 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1