Ask me about a F2 ( or how I survived 2 tornado's)

yesterdays events

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 1550 Views - Last Post: 16 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Ask me about a F2 ( or how I survived 2 tornado's)

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:53 PM

Ehh it aint my blog but this is at least a decent story of what happened.
and yes they really do sound like a freight train engine.

Why we do what we do.

This past weekend there were approximately 118 tornados that ripped across the Midwest
And this is the account of my experience of 2 of them. Listen to my words and learn from my experiences.

Sunday March 12th, 2006

Conditions were clear until we passed Columbia Missouri then a light rain turned in to a strong hail and heavy rain. (The first indicator of a Tornadic storm cell is hail the larger the hail the stronger the system.) I knew that we needed to get to shelter and fast. So we turned off the XM radio and turned on a local talk radio station and sure enough there was a tornado on the ground @ Wooldridge moving at 60 miles an hour to the east everyone down wind is to take shelter immediately. So hearing that I knew that Wooldridge is approximately 15 - 20 miles away. After the gas station turned us away (we pulled under the awning to escape the hail. I remembered that there was a Fire Station. 1/8th mile further down the road so I figured that there would be the next best place to take shelter (Since we got turned away from the midway little G gas station, if you are ever in Columbia or just outside there of don’t give them your business as they turned away a family with a small child that was looking for shelter)

So I turn in to the fire station where a firefighter was holding the door open while the wife got the kid out of the car and placed a pillow over his head ( to protect from hail ) so we sheltered there until the all clear tone came across the fire radio’s. (one thing I thought as odd there were a lot of people trying to take shelter in a truck stop and a gas station however there was only 1 other family at the firehouse besides us. You would figure the safest place would be in a new building full of emergency equipment. )

On the way home we stopped by our rental house to check on our tenants to make sure they are safe first and that the house is safe second. (What can I say I rent to my friends got to take care of my own their experience will be discussed later because their experiences will offer a good comparison of what to do and what not to do in the event of an emergency)

Last night after dinner and bath (for the little guy) I decided that it would be a good idea to start cleaning out the storm/root cellar. When I went out side after carrying 2 tubs of water filled mason jars, I got a really bad feeling (always trust your gut) went in the house and turned on the TV just as they announced the Tornado Warning for our county. (It was not even raining yet but it would be and worse) So I grabbed my Birds and placed their cages in a closet put the dogs and cat in a bathroom grabbed the BOB SW radio and 2million spotlight, while my wife grabbed the boy and our 2 friends and we all hit the shelter. After 5 minutes in shelter we started hearing the banging of hail (would later prove to be baseball sized) on the plywood outer door (door to the stairs to the shelter) we had the radio on and were listening to developments of the storm.

Ok having a well stocked BOB definitely has its place we were able to entertain a 7 yr old with light sticks and flashlights, Stay informed to the weather by listening to our Grundig crank charged AM/FM/SW radio with flashlight. And if needed I had 2 full first aid kits food, water, and blankets.

This is what happens when you don’t have supplies at the ready. Our friends went to their neighbor’s house that had lost power since they lost power they were huddled in the dark in the basement wondering what was happening. Since they didn’t have a radio or flashlight the experience was terrifying to them the first time. The second time they sheltered with us and all was fine and dandy because they were with someone that took the effort to prepare.

The pics are not my houses or buildings they were in the path of the one that hit last night at about 10 pm

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ask me about a F2 ( or how I survived 2 tornado's)

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ask me about a F2 ( or how I survived 2 tornado's)

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:54 PM

pic 2

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

more destruction

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:07 PM

Nasty stuff man, I know we had a tornado come through when I was a little kid and it was scary... I remember the damage it did.. Our truck was fliped into the neighbors yard, our trash can was in the neighbors upstairs bedroom, our roof along with many others were torn off and the guy down the street, his pickup ended up in a tree...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:07 PM

man do i enjoy living in the southwest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

all my shit is fine.

I got some hail damage on the vehicles I havent looked past wether or not all the glass being intact but Im sure of it and we got about 5-8 little holes or cracks in the vinal siding on the addition. the wood siding on teh old part of the house the storm actually helped me out with since now I dont have to scrape before I paint it this spring. ( all the loose paint is now in my yard )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

What kind of damage did your property sustain ? nothing major I hope....

Is the little guy alright ?

*edit* you beat me
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

see above post for property damage

Yeah we are all fine. the goats hid in their goat house. the chickens were in the garage in their coop. the house pets were in seperate interior rooms birds seperated from the cat. Dogs with the cat. and the little guy was a little scared but was fine and slept through the night with out a hiccup.

Cause IM BATMAN
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

Sure makes me glad that we don't get any extreme weather over here, sounds absolutely terrifying! :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

supersloth, on 13 Mar, 2006 - 02:04 PM, said:

man do i enjoy living in the southwest.

Me too
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:59 AM

shikes. the thing is that you think it could never happen to you. even less, to somewhere near you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

ehh I didnt escape all unscathed All the cars look like they were attacked by angry ninjas with ball peen hammers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:56 AM

Kinda odd sounding but they have been braodcasting tornado warnings here (in northern california) for the last couple of days, I guess today in some places quarter sized hail fell, a few funnel clouds materalized but never touched down, last week it was snow down to about 500 feet above sea level (unheard up if this temperate climate). What the heck is going on with the weather.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:13 AM

Since it appears that there is something everyone needs to prepair for I am going to suggest a site for disaster preps.

www.zombiehunters.org

They do disaster preperadness with a bent towards a zombie apocalypse. Basically if you are prepaired for zombies you are prepaired for anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:27 AM

Cookie Mobster, on 15 Mar, 2006 - 03:53 AM, said:

Kinda odd sounding but they have been braodcasting tornado warnings here (in northern california) for the last couple of days, I guess today in some places quarter sized hail fell, a few funnel clouds materalized but never touched down, last week it was snow down to about 500 feet above sea level (unheard up if this temperate climate). What the heck is going on with the weather.

its the end of the world, the weather is just gonna get shitty for the next six years until it all explodes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +