Discussion about gospel music in general

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 554 Views - Last Post: 28 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Gospel Music

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:23 AM

I don't know how heated this topic would be, but it does involve religion. So, I'm sure it'll get more than 1 post. With that said, let's talk about some gospel music.

This topic is intended as a general discussion about gospel music. So, you can discuss the following:

1. Your opinion on gospel music in general.
2. Your opinion on specific gospel music genres.
3. Your favorite gospel music genre.
4. Your favorite gospel music artists/bands.
etc., etc.

I only ask that flames are kept at a minimum.

------------------------------------------------------

I'll start by saying I love contemporary gospel music. I respect traditional gospel music, but I don't like to listen to it much. My favorite genres are gospel rap and gospel rock. My favorite artists/bands are Cross Movement, Lecrae, Flame, and Fireflight right now, but I'm looking at other bands also.

That's all I have to say right now. Feel free to comment.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Gospel Music

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Gospel Music

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

I have this strange hatred for bands that mix Christianity into music I normally like. Such as Shinedown in their If You Only Knew song, though they try their damnedest to pretend that it wasn't inspired by Christianity. Then we have Jason Mraz (I know, I like what I like) and his blatantly Christianity inspired Live High. Owl City (Yes. I know, I really do) who mixed Christianity inspired lyrics into his Tidal Wave song.

I know it's really nitpicking, but I just can't stand it when people mix religion with otherwise neutral music. I feel you should be one or the other, but not both. That's just my opinion though.

Most of the bands that do that sort of thing, I still listen to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• His name was Robert Paulson.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

It annoys me when I hear it, but luckily it's once every blue moon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

I'm not sure that I'd classify modern "Christian Rock" as "Gospel Music". I honestly think of them two completely different things. I guess, for definition's sake, I'd consider gospel music as something preformed during church services and driven by the human voice. Some forms of rap, I supposed, could sneak into this definition. Something with a rocking electric guitar is right out.

As genres go, for gospel, the Southern Baptist stuff is nice; sincere and heartfelt. I'm an extreme traditionalist, when it comes to serious church music I prefer Gregorian Chants.

I find most of the modern Christian stuff overly heavy handed. They are, of course, preaching to the choir, but there's only so much "yay us" crap you can hear without wanting to vomit.

My Christian rock exposure is necessarily limited; I'm simply not Christian. I do, however, like "Jars of Clay."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• What did you call me?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:00 AM

Is it really preaching to the choir or are they preaching at me?

I don't like the lyrics most of the time but I like the way a good church choir sounds...I suppose it doesn't even have to be a church choir. Some gospel music has a nice body. NOT all though.

I usually listen to the way something sounds, not the lyrics. If I like a song then I will listen to the lyrics the next time around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

I don't mind it, I have no problem with people who play or listen to it and it's not as if I'm forced to listen to it. But I don't like it when Christians say the music's always great just because it's in that genre.

This post has been edited by abgorn: 28 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

I find a lot of it repetitive (not really surprised) and it's gets dull after awhile. Gospel rock can be alright at times but I more appreciate the rhythm then the actual lyrics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1