• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 20709 Views - Last Post: 16 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Perl Roll Call

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:50 AM

Are you a Perl developer? Do you have some projects you have made or maybe you already have a job in the Perl development field?

Share your experiences with us, so we could include you in the list of Perl developers here on Dream.In.Code!

Perl developers

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Perl Roll Call

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Perl Roll Call

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:13 AM

I've been doing freelance software development since October, 2004, specializing in Perl/Linux development and have been working with Perl since sometime around late 1999/early 2000.

My latest released Perl project was the FishTwits web application and I'm currently working in my spare time on a web-based space trading game that I'm calling PSG ("Psychic Space Game"), which is coming along quite nicely with movement, trading, and combat in place. Other examples of my projects can be found on my coding site.

I've run into two main issues in my Perl work:

1) The misperception that Perl is "dead", "write-only", or otherwise unsuitable for new application development.

There's a lot of old, bad code out there which can be easily found by search engines, but today's Perl is a completely different animal, especially when written by professional programmers rather than someone just dabbling in the language with no software development background. Unfortunately, the more modern Perl has had a hard time becoming visible above the flood of "Matt's Script Archive"-era dross, but there are projects afoot, such as the Perl Iron Man Challenge, to try to change that.

2) Lingering confusion between Perl and CGI, leading to a belief that Perl is only good for web scripts.

Granted, most of the work I've been doing in recent years has been web-based, due to that being where the freelance market is concentrated, but that is by no means the only thing Perl is good for. I've also used it to analyze logs collected from several servers in near-real-time and automatically update global firewall rules to block attacks/abuse; to manage the LAN and user accounts at a gaming-focused internet cafe; to do inventory and point-of-sale processing; to monitor user logins and deactivate/delete (with backups) inactive user accounts across a cluster of 50 mixed-operating-system servers; and a few other things which aren't coming to mind at the moment. Perl is absolutely not a dedicated "web language" and, web-based or not, Perl is very suitable for building real applications, not just "scripting".

And I really didn't intend to go off into Perl advocacy here, it just kind of happened... Hopefully this is one place where it's not needed, but I'll leave it there in case it might prove useful to someone else who needs to do a bit of advocacy somewhere else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:29 AM

I dabble with Perl and use it primary for my work (Interface analyst). I took a 6 week online course and primarily use it for file moving/renaming, ect.

However, I have 5 books on my desk I plan to read and learn more about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:57 PM

List updated! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hello all! I started coding in Perl about 5 years ago. I have had 2 jobs as a Perl developer and had a ton of fun doing it. The last one was supporting in-house, proprietary software at a VoIP company. The software examined every piece of configured hardware (also produced by the company) and collected a plethora of stats from each machine. The stats were both machine configuration as well as call statistics. The software was quite complex and had many pieces to it.

I started dabbling with Python about a year ago. I haven't done much with it yet, but have played with it some.

I will certainly be giving my input into both Perl and Python, helping whatever users I can.

Regards,

Jeff
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

'ello numberwhun!

Glad to have you aboard!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

View Postmoopet, on 17 July 2010 - 06:01 PM, said:

I've written a few perl scripts before but wouldn't call myself a perl programmer unless I was trying to get a job using smoke and mirrors.

However, on the python side... I've dabbled at home over the last year and a couple of weeks ago I decided that my latest work project was going to be using python/django rather than php. The client is ok with this so long as the work gets done, and I'm so far very much enjoying it. I hope this will be the first of many such projects :)

I'll add you moopet
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

Hi, I just started studying perl last week, I'm going to try to replicate some stuff I did previously did with bash scripts. and I want to do more extensive text manipulation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:33 AM

View Postliedele, on 18 July 2010 - 07:40 PM, said:

Hi, I just started studying perl last week, I'm going to try to replicate some stuff I did previously did with bash scripts. and I want to do more extensive text manipulation.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

I recently learned Perl for work and consider myself on the backside of the "beginner" phase and am heading into being an "intermediate" Perl programmer. Most of what I've done so far relates to cgi programming, but in learning the language I've written a few simple system scripts as well. I've only dabbled in Python - but I definitely would love the chance to do more with it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

I have been developing in Perl for about a year. I have been working on update a test suite for a software package most recently. This has been requiring me to use Perl to work with C/C++ and the terminal. This is really easy because Perl can be typeset just like C or C++ so it is easy to switch back and forth in the head.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

You have been added.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

I actually made my living for awhile back in the late 90's early 2000's working for a company in Las Vegas doing gaming sites and high volume database manipulation (mostly MySql/PostGres) backends. I am self taught so most of the things I do are not "traditional" methods, but my code is always solid and streamlined.

I currently am learning Java so I am spending what little time I have in that forum, however; I will check in and throw an opinion in whenever I see a question that needs answered.

Look forward to chatting and interacting,

Randor
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

I'm working with a company where we use Perl heavily, new to it and am learning so much!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

Sweet! Have you used it much yet or are you still learning?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +