10 Replies - 8738 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2012 - 02:20 AM Rate Topic: -----

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

DBA & Developers Roll Call

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

Are you a database administrator who spends most of the day managing a big RDMS that has is of a critical value? Or maybe you are administering a database for a website? Or maybe you are a developer who works mainly with database development tools and systems?

Share your experiences with us, so that we can include you in this list of DBA & developers here on Dream.In.Code.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: DBA & Developers Roll Call

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: DBA & Developers Roll Call

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:01 AM

Well, I consider myself a Micro-DBA since I'm not allowed to modify the mainframe database that we have here. I mainly use MS Access for a lot of my database design and implementation as well as reporting. I do use the mainframe as the backbone for over 90% of my Access BD's, and just have Access to all the calculations that are needed. I am called in by other departments to optimize their Access DB's as well as fix code they've broken.

I also use SQL Server 2005 with the company that I work for, and SQL Server 2008 for the company that I'm trying to start. I am wanting to get into T-SQL and Oracle, but don't have the time right now for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:45 AM

Managing or maintaining them most of the day: no, not at all.
I build my systems in a way that i do not need to do that, and can do the other, more fun things: real programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:52 AM

hi all

Mainly MySQL and Sybase and Solid (ever heard of it before?) in a previous job, have a little DB2 programming coming my way.

I am very good with Sybase, having worked out how to roll 8 disparate (same product) DB into 1 main one for national use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:54 AM

Hi Everyone ;

Am Bhoyee by name and am not new to Oracle database, but please i really love to know more about Oracle database Developer ..I want to know how i can develop a database and i will be glad if someone can tell me how i can get started
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:46 AM

I should probably throw in on this... My official job title is "Data Base Administrator" ( spelled just like that; be afraid. )

I manage Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server databases, mostly. I've tried to get some MySql rolling here for smaller stuff, but suits tend to fear Open Source. I do have experience with MySql for a number of personal projects. I started out on Sybase ( MS stole Sybase, btw. )

I don't consider MS Access a database. I know that's not entirely fair. In the broadest sense, it is a database; just like dBase, Foxpro, and a myriad of other file system toys. It's just not a true multi user RDBMS. It wasn't made for multi tasking and has a locking system that's unfriendly to it. I have supported a lot of Access implementations and learned to hate them. Move to sqlite, move to SQL Express, just move away from Access. Please. ( Hmm... Should I pin that at the top of the MS Access forum? :P )

Sqlite is my recommendation Access recoveries. It's also just a file database, but doesn't have the issues Access does. For a number of web applications that might use MySql it's ideal. It also lets you test SQL logic on a simple little file rather than messing with a server. I'd note that Rails moved from MySql to Sqlite as a default a while back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

I know that this is a somewhat old thread. But I finally have obtained the postion of DBA. I will get to start managing our SQL 2000, 2005, 2008 servers as well as our oracle and oracle RAC databases. And a few weird ones like cache.

So 2011 is going to be a great year for me. Ok I am done gloating now. Feel great to finally reach my career goal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostCore, on 24 January 2010 - 10:54 AM, said:

Are you a database administrator who spends most of the day managing a big RDMS that has is of a critical value?

Yes, I manage multiple databases that are all business critical, some belong to business that turn over a few £million/month

Or maybe you are administering a database for a website?

Yes, many have front end public facing sites.

Or maybe you are a developer who works mainly with database development tools and systems?

Yes, it would appear most "Boring Line Of Business (LoB) Applications" are 90% database in reality.

Share your experiences with us, so that we can include you in this list of DBA & developers here on Dream.In.Code.

Not sure what to write although you could just read my introduction :)

My Introduction

I hope that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

By title I am a software engineer, but a good portion of my duties revolves around a few databases. Much to my chagrin, my bosses want the thing to work, and require me to make changes every now and then, but are too cheap to understand that a database should be properly backed up, replicated, tested on in an offline environment and then applied, and instead, they are too busy thinking about the product that they are putting out, and they just hope that nothing happens.

My job is basically to make sure nothing happens.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm also presently a software engineer. I've spent time as a trainer, too. I used to teach a Microsoft class on developing apps for SQL Server 7 (!), so I've been working with SQL for a while. I got my start in databases with Paradox for DOS (and Banyan Vines) back in the early 90s, wrote a lot of small (and a couple of pretty large) applications on that platform. I've also spent a good deal of time writing VB6 applications with SQL Server backends, and more recently been working with a web-based app that's written partly in C#, using ADO.Net for the backend, and partly in Javascript, using C# to write WCF services to handle data requests on the backend.

This post has been edited by BobRodes: 17 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:20 AM

In my experience, knowledge in database, relational database in particular, is very handy especially when you're developing a system that mainly relies on it and on generating reports. Glued on my mind that one shouldn't underestimate the power of SQL to manipulate databases.

Been using Oracle Pl/Sql in my college years. Developed Inventory System using it. Now Im using mssql as one of the tools in developing my project
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1