Best beginner's book

frustrated with thinking in java 4th edition

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

115 Replies - 121266 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2014 - 08:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

#106 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best beginner's book

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

View PostAfterBurner66, on 12 January 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

After all, what would be the meaning having so many books out there, if anyone could learn everything from the documentation of a product?

By the same reasoning, no book on Java can be any good. Take the set of books about java, and let n be the cardinality of this set. For any book about Java, call it B, there are n-1 books that are not B. What would be the meaning of having n-1 books out there, if B were any good?

As it turns out, the Sun tutorials are an excellent starting place, and they're probably one of the main reasons why Java is such a popular language. When Java was introduced, it came with excellent documentation from the beginning. The popularity of Java, particularly as a teaching language, is what led to the massive number of books about the language, as writers realized that there was a huge market. So the vast number of introduction-to-Java books is in fact a direct consequence of the fact that the original is so excellent.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

I am really enjoying Introduction to Java Programming, Comprehensive Version -- 9th Edition by Y. Daniel Liang

Java is my first real language and I am also new to OOP. The book has done an excellent job of explaining everything so far. I am on page 589 now, working on Abstract classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

Objects first with Java along with the BlueJ IDE worked very well for me when I was taking intro courses in computer science. It isn't too fast or slow and covers all the basics pretty thoroughly.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

I am currently using Introduction To Java Programming 9th Edition for class. This has end of chapter exercises and in chapter codes and snippets. I like it, and it is available on Amazon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

I would recommend "Java : Just In Time" by professor John Latham (http://www.amazon.com/Java-Just-Time-John-Latham/dp/1848900252/)
The book is being used in one of the introduction courses to Java, at University of Manchester (John Latham is the tutor in that course).
I have worked through that book and I am really satisfied.
It´s a great book for beginner in programming!

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 22 March 2014 - 05:15 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed referral link

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

Wait, I posted my recommended books back in 2013!
However, after thinking about the books on my shelve and the chapters read, I think it depends on what you want to learn!

If you want to learn enterprise level Java or Java for a CS degree programme then the answer to your question changes quite a bit.

The original developers behind Java (Sun Micro Systems) had an interactive on-line training video series for Java certification that went very deep indeed.

A resourceful web user should have no trouble finding these original materials from Sun-MS online via a torrent site.
I wouldn't think that there would be any CC infringement as S-M-S are no longer around, However, i"m no legal expert!

This Question all depends on what level you want to learn Java!

if its a simple applet you need then create then go to youtube but if your on a CS degree - go for the original material created by the creators of java - then go for a book recommended by your tutors - this info should be in the recommended reading list of your Uni handbook etc!

I know the original topic poster / user is probably efficient in Java by now but I make an update for the java coders of the future :)

Most books are "full of fluff" and worth about 10% of the RRP - will you ever work through 16 chapters of examples line by line will you?!

I doubt it - You'll be lucky to find all you need in one book anyway - hit amazon - you can fill your boots for 20 if you don't mind second hand books !
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

I would definitely recommend Big Java by Cay S. Horstmann (extremely useful in my first year of university) and Effective Java by Josh Bloch (more advanced but still useful, plus it was written by one of the dev's of the collections library)

Jono
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

I just finished "Beginning Programming with Java for Dummies 3rd Edition." it was a useful book had many examples and explained alright. I would give it a 6/10 I am just now starting "Java for Programmers." Just by the looks of it, seems to be very informative and has much to offer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

I would recommend Murach's java programming. It teaches about essential java skills, OOP made simple and easy to understand, GUI programming and Database programming. Each chapter has its own exercises and you will also learn about features that the netbeans IDE includes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

View PostMufaT, on 21 November 2010 - 02:37 PM, said:

Java how to program, 7th edition

is a great book in my opinion!

I agree im currently learning with this book along with a separate class and i like it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

Objects First With Java - A Practical Introduction Using BlueJ

I learnt java and most of my OOP from this book, and at the time I hated the book. You learn using their IDE and it bugged me as I thought I would get lost as soon as I left the book, However 3 years down the track with a solid understating of Java and OOP... I guess it did something right.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First