Best beginner's book

frustrated with thinking in java 4th edition

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

115 Replies - 131876 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2014 - 08:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best beginner's book

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Just Java
by Peter Van Der Linden
is my bible

He also wrote "Expert C Programming Deep C Secrets" with a fish in the book cover nice play of words :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

@zim1985: I completely agree with you about Java For Dummies: Desk Reference. It is a really good place for beginners in some of the major areas of Java (new to Java, GUIs, Graphics, Collections, Applets, Networking, Threading, Collections) to start. However, overall it is weak on Data Structures, covering only ArrayList, LinkedList, Stack, Queue, and Arrays. So once a programmer gets enough experience, I strongly recommend transitioning into Core Java, Volume I, as it provides very detailed and technical explanations in a very concise and easy to understand manner. It does require a little technical knowledge though, so not for absolute beginners.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:07 AM

Eh, I'm using AP Computer Science: Java.

Oh... and the glorious code/API/manual for the famous Gridworld...

- Zach
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Grand Inquisitor
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:32 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 01 March 2010 - 07:34 PM, said:

@zim1985: I completely agree with you about Java For Dummies: Desk Reference. It is a really good place for beginners in some of the major areas of Java (new to Java, GUIs, Graphics, Collections, Applets, Networking, Threading, Collections) to start. However, overall it is weak on Data Structures, covering only ArrayList, LinkedList, Stack, Queue, and Arrays. So once a programmer gets enough experience, I strongly recommend transitioning into Core Java, Volume I, as it provides very detailed and technical explanations in a very concise and easy to understand manner. It does require a little technical knowledge though, so not for absolute beginners.

I have another book that I reference more advanced topics from, but I still refer back to Java for Dummies a lot. It's a good quick reference when you need to look up how to declare Swing components or the like. It's a good intro as you stated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

I started out with Thinking in Java and that didn't work out so well. I'm not bright enough to be discouraged so I picked up Head First Java (Sierra and Bates), which is pretty good and Sames Teach Yourself Java in 24 hours (Cadenhead) which for someone like me who knew absolutely nothing about Java, it's great.

It's simple, clear and concise with many fully worked out examples (Cadenhead explains line by line what is occurring). The 5th edition covers Java 6 and is pretty cheap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

View Posttextbook, on 16 February 2010 - 12:58 AM, said:

Try Starting out with Java from control structures to data structures by tony gaddis and godfrey muganada. It starts with very baisc programs like printing out hello and it adds one small thing after another. Every other page has example code and its very easy to follow.

Hey! That's the book I was talking about! Do you go to my school? :ph34r:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

I personally read http://www.amazon.co...68456825&sr=8-1 And I still am not done reading it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

I had already covered the basics but I picked up "SAMS Programming with Java in 24 hours" just because the bookshop was closing down. Really glad I did... the whole 24hr thing is a bit of a stretch but it's a humorous book that really makes the learning and coding interesting. It's definitely a great book even for a beginner.

I wish the rest of the programming books I have were half as good as it... XD

This post has been edited by Ice(ITB): 03 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:20 AM

View Postkebomix, on 14 February 2010 - 09:24 PM, said:

Head First java is the best book for beginners in my humble opinion , it is very simple and easy to understand

and check it here
http://books.google....page&q=&f=false

Yeah soon as i seen this topic that book came to mind. Also Objects First With Java An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming by Michael Kolling is a great start.
http://www.bluej.org/objects-first/

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 01 March 2010 - 08:34 PM, said:

I think it is natural that this sort of book doesn't cover Data Structures. Data Structures alone can cover a whole book and can be a complicated subject to tackle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

Head First Java is the best programming book I've ever read. Maybe it just appeals to the way I learn, but the graphical depictions of how everything works helps tremendously in understanding the concepts fully.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:48 PM

Java How to Program, the author is Deitel & Deitel. A very very nice book for all leves (with this great book i start programming in java) :lol:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

When I first realized I was going to hav a java class, I picked up two books. These books were Sam's Teach yourself Java in 24 Hours and Sam's teach Yourself java in 21 Days. These two books and the prople on this site have been a godsend for helping me grasp the language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

Greetings fellow coders,

For absolute beginner with no experience in programming and no knowledge on the OOP principles and concepts, I would recommend the combination of book and IDE "Objects First with Java" + BlueJ. It is a nice introduction not only to the language but in some extend to the software engineering as it concerns many design principles. The IDE is developed especially for students and gives a perspective to the OO programming which I haven't seen in other environments.

Regards,
Kris
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

Hi all

From Personal experience, I'd recommend "Introduction to Programming with Greenfoot".

I study computer science at university, and that book was the recommended book for beginners, the year I started.

The book is written in Java, and is for absolut beginners. It will take you through the basics, and explain what object oriented programming is etc. Best of all, the way you will be learning java, is by programming some small games, and it will have some excercises for you as well. Once you have done with each chapter, the book suggests some stuff you can extend your games with, which is a very good excercise. If you get stuck with something, the book have some references to a page where you can download the full solutions of the projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:41 AM

http://www.toves.org/books/java/
Programming via java by Carl Burch, a professor for Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas, USA
this is the book we are using in my programming one class at the moment and I think it is easy to understand and explains it well
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »