game programming animations

Page 1 of 1

1 Replies - 2458 Views - Last Post: 16 March 2006 - 06:30 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

animations in doom3

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:52 AM

Hi,

first I have to say sorry about my poor english.

second I have to say sorry about my newbies questions.

I am studying the md5 model to incorporate it in a framework of games. I am a mastering student and Its my mastering project.

I have succeed in load mesh and anim files and play the animations through this framework

My doubts are about how doom3 handle the transition between two animations?

How they handle the viewing and repositioning of one character. For instance if a character is in opposite of me and it feels me how could he turn to me if there is not an animation of turning movement?

How they do to know to where the character is looking. There is any kind of vector eye-lead, or something?

How they handle the transition between two animations. For instance if a character is walking and so suddenly he dies (maybe he was shot). How could I play smoothly the transition of the two animations?

It has something to do with the "rag dolls" working? In time what are rag dolls? It´s a kind of configuration file to handle the .mesh and .anim files? Or what?

What kind of benefit I could earn if worked with rag dolls instead of .mesh and .anim files?

How exactly channels works? How they do to set different animations for a each channel?

I know maybe you can not answer that questions. But could you point some place to search? How could do to see it in doom3´s code? Someone could guide through the code?

Thank you in advantage

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: animations in doom3

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: animations in doom3

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:30 PM

I'm not into 3D modeling or anything, so I wouldn't have a clue. As far as the code goes, Doom 3 isn't open source, and you won't be able to make much sense of the binares. You probably could go as far asking Nerve Software about it, since they did the core dev on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1