9 Replies - 1263 Views - Last Post: 26 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

New Build

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

Getting ready to assemble a new computer for an old college roommate. Figure I'd talk about it here and provide some pictures after it's all put together. I'll give my take on all of the components that are worth talking about after I mess around with them all a little bit.

She wanted something that was going to last her for at least 5-7 years technology wise as far as gaming goes. She is really just a casual gamer but I figured the most important aspect to a long lasting build is the motherboard as it really controls your ability to upgrade in the future. The most she was wiling to spend was $1500 not including monitors and all the parts I selected came out to just over $1000. Here is a list of the components I've selected for the build (let me know if you have any experience or input on them):

Case
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz
G.SKILL 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CORSAIR 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit Video Card
ZALMAN 9900 NT 120mm CPU Cooler

As stated above, I'll be sure to include pics of the construction.

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 25 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New Build

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New Build

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

The quadcore for a causal gamer is over rated.. scale that back to a fast dual core and use the money for more ram.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

I think it would have been just fine to go with a higher end dual core but I really wanted to make sure she was using Intel's latest LGA 1366 socket (for QPI's sake) so she could upgrade in the future if need be. Right now they only make Core i7 quads for that socket.

So for the time being it is a little overkill.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

Just my opinion here but screw Intel, I've used both Intel and AMD and have always had better luck/performance with AMD. As for video card I would go with ]this MSI over the one you have selected (price is comparable and the MSI is a better card (I have 2 and love them)).

On memory I would go with the Corsair and for some reason I've always really liked Roswell PSU's for my systems (Yet to have one fail)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

Most of the reviews I read about Core i7 vs. AMD Phenom II showed the Intel chip outperforming it in almost all regards. Probably just because the whole i7 architecture is brand spanking new.

Another consideration I made for the i7 was that it can be overclocked to 3.5GHz at stock voltages.

I've had success from both manufacturers, just sorta depends whose on top at the time I decide to build a machine. The last build I did was a dual core AMD and I was very very pleased with it.

As far as the memory goes, I wanted a cheap triple channel kit and most of corsairs triple channels were pretty pricy.

I really wanted to get into the new-gen stuff from NVidia (like a nice 260 card). I saw that MSI card while I was searching around but I've always had bad experiences with MSI cards crapping out after a while so I'm pretty gun shy as far as MSI goes. I've heard some of their recent motherboards are pretty nice though.

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 26 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

You cannot compare the i7 with the Phenom, not even comparing apples & apples.

As far as overclocking, why overclock when you can get a 3.4Ghz AMD X4 (some have this same chip to 4.0Ghz with air-cooling, it's also the chip I'm running) straight out of the box? Just wondering
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

Although the Phenom II X4 has higher clocks, the i7 920 still out performs it at its lower clock of 2.66GHz.

Clock speeds don't really mean much when comparing architectures.

The core i7's new QPI architecture also outperforms AMD's Hyper Transport by a lot.

All in all, better performance at lower clocks and stock voltages (greater overclock potential on air cooling) + better bus performance was the reason I went with intel this time.

On top of all of that, Intel's integrated FSB allows for triple channel memory while AMD only supports dual channel.
I think that AMD usually has a better value as they are more for budget builds but usually Intel has the best performance (of course at a much higher cost). If I was really strapped for money on this build I would have definitely gone with the chip you recommended but cost wasn't really a huge issue so I decided intel would be a better choice.

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 26 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Looking at the rosewill power supplies I wish I would have gone with one now. They have high output at high temperatures, and the one I was looking at has 50 amps out on the +12v line.

If I hadn't already ordered parts I probably would have gone with this power supply:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182200

I usually go with Antec cause their PSU's usually last forever but I'll start looking at rosewills in the future. I think rosewill is neweggs brand isn't it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

Looks like a nice system, and somewhat reasonably priced. I prefer intel, but am really biased as I live in Hillsboro, where intel is the major employer, and many of my friend work there. Also I got a free i7 965 from intel for playing video games in their cafeteria.... payed $25 for the ticket....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

When I ordered our new server, the folks at the datacenter said AMD has been sluggish to keep up with Intel the past 6+ months and they are dropping almost all their AMD chips. I was able to get a pretty good deal on them, but dream.in.code has run on AMD since 2003'ish. Prior to that we were on Intel Xeon chips.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1