• +
  • « First

74 Replies - 6794 Views - Last Post: 04 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: women in CS

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

bioinformatics does definitely seem to be an exception. Here still though, many in there are not CS majors. They just took what they had to so that class was possible. Not sure what the deal is there. Really though, I took a data structures class with 3 females. One was a math major, another EE, and the last was some biosciences major taking it as a prereq for the bioinformatics course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

View Postskyhawk133, on 25 January 2010 - 09:18 PM, said:

There are definitely initiatives to get more women involved in CS and IT:

<a href="http://women.acm.org/" target="_blank">http://women.acm.org/</a>
<a href="http://www.ncwit.org/" target="_blank">http://www.ncwit.org/</a>

Yup, and DigiPen will pretty much give you a free ride to go to their school if you're of the female persuasion.

This post has been edited by KYA: 02 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

My girlfriend originally had no interest in Computer Science but joined the magnet program in my school because her teacher said it was an easy way to get to IB. She felt bad doing that though so she stayed CS/IB. It seems to me that she likes it, but she just hasn't gotten over the steep learning curve where everything gets much easier from. Also, she said that when we took APCS in 10th grade she felt really good about her ability to program but in 11th grade, we had an infamous group project (a story in itself). Basically, the group leader did almost half the work, assigned the other half to the really good programmer in the group (he's like the class genius) and left her and the other boy with hardly anything to do. She lost her skills and confidence in programming.

I thought she wasn't interested in programming like me (but I know she likes computers) but it turned out that that whole experience made her want to drop programming. After a tearful conversation about it tough, it turned out it was that experience that really turned her off when she was just getting interested.

Guys! We gotta let the girls feel comfortable about programming!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#64 Guest_codygman*

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

I think it would help if programmers took up other activities commonly seen as social.

I've been programming since middle school (about to go to college now), but i've also been playing football since then. I program 5-6 hours a day, but I also spend 2-3 hours a day lifting weights, running, and other types of exercise. You guys might be interested in parkour too, it's my favorite activity, maybe more than programming.

Specialization is for insects. Get life experiences in different domains :)

Also, many programmers I know don't care about their appearance at all, although the number is limited. I don't quite understand that, and enjoy making sure all aspects of myself are in tip top shape.

Just my two cents. If perhaps, some of these behaviors could change, there wouldn't be a negative stigma attached to computer programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

Oh Definitely! I'm the same way, although I don't do much physical activity because of my hardcore AP workload... ^^;
I desperately want to. Parkour looks amazing! When I have the time that's one of my top things to start doing!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

View Postcodygman, on 07 February 2010 - 06:01 PM, said:

I think it would help if programmers took up other activities commonly seen as social.

Doesn't even really need to be all that social but not involving a computer or obscure nerd games(mtg, wh40k, pogs, or whatever the kids are playing these days). Hygiene helps too, I shouldn't have to say it but my CS classes carry a higher proportion of dirty looking and sometimes smelling individuals than any other classes. They often lack social tact or any sense of social skills.

Change the stereotype.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

No girls in my CS class what so ever. I have english class though and that has more girls then guys :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

Today I had my first class for my only computer engineering class and the females were probably 30-40%. It is a freshman level class for EE and CPEG majors in addition to a grad requirement for Comp Sci majors so maybe that has a factor. Surprisingly there were quite a few cute chicky poos :) Unfortunately there was a comp sci major sitting next to me wearing a fedora (yeah seriously, with a feather and all) that made misogynist comments as every female type walked by despite the fact I'm sure he is a virgin. :(

This post has been edited by SpeedisaVirus: 10 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

View PostSpeedisaVirus, on 09 February 2010 - 08:19 PM, said:

Today I had my first class for my only computer engineering class and the females were probably 30-40%. It is a freshman level class for EE and CPEG majors in addition to a grad requirement for Comp Sci majors so maybe that has a factor. Surprisingly there were quite a few cute chicky poos :) Unfortunately there was a comp sci major sitting next to me wearing a fedora (yeah seriously, with a feather and all) that made misogynist comments as every female type walked by despite the fact I'm sure he is a virgin. :(

Seriously? lol.

I do agree with you that women tend to be less argumentative and as a result, I kind of enjoy working with them becasue they are more stimulating on an intellectual level instead of some of the guys I work with who are always locked into a pissing match about who know more. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

View Postellevador, on 25 January 2010 - 08:07 PM, said:

I keep wondering why there are so few females pursuing a CS or other degree. Any real opinions why? I love working with guys but I keep hoping I'll find a girl in one of my classes, and I can pick their brain. I am the only girl in all my classes for the last year, why not more?

Recent studies suggest that a large part of the problem is societal. One recent study found that science and technology are commonly regarded as too "nerdy" and "boring" for careers, by both sexes. Another study found that many girls underachieve in earlier years because teachers (especially female teachers) give clues (subtle and not) that math is "hard", "boring", etc. This sets up female students for lower achievement later in their careers.

Though I do not believe in diversity for its own sake, I do prefer working in a varied environment- not just by sex, but also by regional or national origin, age, educational background, etc.

-Will Dwinnell
Data Mining in MATLAB
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

Gee, it's almost like it's going down.

My Web design class has 3 guys (including me) and 13 girls. o_O Most girls are like "Hey!, I know this because I see this on my MySpace!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:40 AM

hey there, i dont know hw old this post is, but i've been going thru som of the replies n i just felt the need to ve a say. I'm Nigerian and as a matter of fact, in my skool here in Nig, females seem to dominate in numbers in my field of study - computer science. they just seem to love the discipline. there are actually more gals than guys in my class... cheers. feel beta?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:50 AM

Well, there are few girls in my school but they sure are smart in CS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

Unfortunately, the technology fields are still very heavily male dominated for no real apparent reason. Women just don't go into those fields. I was an engineering student (changed my mind after I saw how the real world of an engineering firm works, not at all what I thought it would be!) and there were 16 girls in an entry class of 200.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

Saw an interesting article on IEEE's "The Institute" March issue had input from 4 different female engineers, all professors, on why the gap exists and what to do. The Article is on page 7Link to Article
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First