2 Replies - 739 Views - Last Post: 31 January 2010 - 09:15 PM Rate Topic: -----

• N00by VB.NET Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

What language should I use for this?

Post icon  Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

Okay, I want this sort of UI for a project I'm thinking of:
A totally black screen with like 5, really low quality, 3d "characters" on it, sorta like this.
http://sketchup.goog...s=1202486010000
But standing at attention, and without shadows or anything.
Then, I want them to be able to "jump" on their cue... (Which I plan on giving them with a text file)
I have never done anything like this before. What language should I use to make this? Which would be the easiest?

Once again:
A program that has a black screen, with 5 3d people on it, this program reads a text file every second - and when it's their turn to jump (I can easily figure this out - but I don't know how to make them jump), they should jump. I don't care if it doesn't look smooth or if it looks fugly. I've thought about just using video clips but I think this project should give me a good introduction to game programming. I just want to know what language I should use to show 3d people on a black screen and make them jump.

I know quite a bit of VB.NET - and a minor amount of Java, and maybe some C# and C++.NET
I think this might use GDI+?

Is there an IDE like Google Sketchup I can use to make my people and give them jumping animations and then "import them" (I have no idea what I'm talking about :stupid:) to use in my program? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Sorry - I know I sound like a total nub. :cry:

-----------------

How many hours would it take an experienced person to do something like this? All I want to do is make a program with a person like this in it and make them jump on cue/
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gLmw0g_tzL4

This post has been edited by LeisureProgrammer: 30 January 2010 - 04:56 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: What language should I use for this?

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language should I use for this?

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

You could probably do this C# & XNA. It is easy enough to import an art asset like an image or 3D model. Having them following a script would not be all that hard either. You have a good knowledge of VB.NET and Java so picking up C# shouldn't be all that difficult. The syntax is similar to Java.

Java also has a couple of packages that deal with graphics. I can't say much about them because I've honestly never used them before. If you've even seen the game Runescape on the web it was done using Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language should I use for this?

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Yes. SixOfEleven is right that Java has some Graphics packages that will do the trick. I'm not trying to sway you away from C# and XNA, but I do think that Java could easily do it. (Although I don't know much C#)...

If you are interested in learning about Games in Java, check out my Blog's Game Dev section (link in my Sig).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1