3 Replies - 7681 Views - Last Post: 04 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

CCNA vs Java programming

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

I am about to finish university this year and I have this question.
I was wondering what is easier to find a job for (for example in the US), assuming you have no working experience in any:
Cisco (CCNA) or Java programming.
I am thinking of signing up for CCNA course because I think that it will be easier to find a job for it, at least until I find a job in Java. I've been programming Java for the past 3 years.

Any opinion is appreciated

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: CCNA vs Java programming

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: CCNA vs Java programming

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:31 AM

They are two completely different job markets. CCNA would require you to get the CCNA certification which cost a bit of money. If you're an experienced Java programmer and graduating from university I don't see why you wouldn't just try and get a Java programming job. Personally I would much rather code in Java then configure and manage servers all day. I don't think anyone else can give you more of an answer with out more details.

Companies around Boston actively hire for both these positions. Either way Java is just a tool. Apply for any job in programming even if it means learning a new language. I'm sure with 3 years of experience and an education will get you something. Good luck and happy job hunting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:49 AM

I have a friend who was recently hired very easy with a CCNA, and my thinking was, if it wasn't easy to find a job as Java programmer, let's say it took more than 3 months, maybe i should complete this CCNA with which I can find a job easier and later maybe come back to Java when I find a job like that.
Thanks for the reply
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

I actually work for a Networking group in IT Engineering part time while I am in school that deals a lot with Cisco devices. Not everything is configuring the switches and routers, and it is definitely fun to solve connection problems. I am going to get my CCNA this summer, hopefully. My advice: just keep applying for jobs that are of interest to you because it will show if you don't like what you do...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1