• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 2312 Views - Last Post: 06 February 2010 - 02:07 PM

• N00by VB.NET Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Should I not go to university?

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

I really like programming - but at a high level.

I don't really want to spend four years in university learning about number, graph, type, and category theory >.<
UGH NO BLEEPING MICROARCHITECTURE OR DIGITAL LOGIC! :crazy: ADDER CIRCUITS DRIVE ME CRAZY!

Some automata theory and algorithms and data structures is fine. Also, learning about how compilers work is fine. I would love learning about security, databases, ai, and networking - a few high level programming languages, and game programming. Also, computability theory and computational complexity theory is fine.

Should I not go to university? Can someone suggest a degree for me?
LOL BTW this is in the Corner Cubicle because I want to know what I will be referred to as when I graduate.

I'm like >70% sure my average will be ~83% in grade 11 and 12.

This post has been edited by LeisureProgrammer: 01 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Should I not go to university?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Should I not go to university?

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

Entirely up to you... depends where you want to work, and what else you have to scribble onto some paper that quantifies your experience such that you can work there.

Expect to find your first year very easy.

Take some initiative and see that hunk of paper as a means to an end. Your experience is more valuable than it anyway. Start some projects, program a robot or a hardware controller for winamp, start a blog site for these projects so you have them online as you go. Write some code that does something other people will find useful or neat.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

Business school then?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• N00by VB.NET Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Business school then?
Nah...

Is there any sort of degree which has Quantum Physics mixed Comp. Sci.? LOL

This post has been edited by LeisureProgrammer: 01 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Well, it really depends on the school you go to as to what they offer. I go to CU@Boulder, and they offer multiple computer science tracks, which all focus on different things. If you are looking into security, you will likely have to take some lower level classes (asm, c, c++, that type of thing) but most of the time they get moving and are at least something to do with your time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

If you go to a school with the "Computer Science" major, that is what it will mostly be, science. If you want more direct learning try to find schools that offer some type of comp info systems, or comp IT majors. In my experience, the comp sci major focuses on scientific programming with tons of wonderful advanced math and science classes that are indirectly related, whereas comp info sys or something of the sort relates more to business and entrepreneurship. basically, substitute advanced math and science with business, management, and/or financial classes. If neither of the two works for you, then just do it on your own. You don't need a degree if you can build a portfolio from your own experience. then, try to get as many certs as you can, bc in the end it really is about that magical piece of paper. right? that's just coming from the small amount of information Ive gathered over the past 2 years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, like BetaWar said, it depends on the school. There could be numerous programs.

This post has been edited by Locke: 04 February 2010 - 12:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

Do the other degree you're thinking about (everybody has at least a few degrees they're considering when they enter a university for the first time) and teach yourself programming on the side. There isn't much loss this way: you can get good programming instruction from the google open courseware on youtube (I use this to study programming and engineering: there is a lot of very good material available this way), and get whatever certifications you think you'll need for your languages of choice. Sun Certifications are easy examples, but they are far from the only examples.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

Don't do it. It's a trap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:10 PM

My advice would be to go to a university and study something in the mathematics, physics, computer science, or engineering part of things... you may find a job during school that will teach more about the industry you want to work in. The degree only means that you had the work ethic to grind through the classes you didn't like and apply yourself for a long period of time. That's why so many HR departments have a B.S. requirement these days. You should just find a major that will both challenge you and keep you interested for a long period of time, but definitely go to a university. Just my two cents...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• N00by VB.NET Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:39 PM

Well, it really depends on the school you go to as to what they offer.

LOL, uWaterloo is really close to me, so I think if I ever want to do Comp. Sci. I'll try there. I'm sure they don't offer "pre-organized tracks", I'll have to do that myself.

My advice would be to go to a university and study something in the mathematics, physics, computer science, or engineering part of things...

the comp sci major focuses on scientific programming with tons of wonderful advanced math and science classes that are indirectly related

The thing is; I really want to do computer science, but I think I'll get really bored/frustrated when I'm doing indirectly related math classes LOL

View PostChoscura, on 04 February 2010 - 11:54 PM, said:

Do the other degree you're thinking about (everybody has at least a few degrees they're considering when they enter a university for the first time) and teach yourself programming on the side. There isn't much loss this way: you can get good programming instruction from the google open courseware on youtube (I use this to study programming and engineering: there is a lot of very good material available this way), and get whatever certifications you think you'll need for your languages of choice. Sun Certifications are easy examples, but they are far from the only examples.

I think I'll go with this idea unless I find a University close by which offers Comp. Sci. with Math stripped off of it (especially number/graph/type/category theories)

LOL I play with VB.NET and Java for a few hours everyday, I love it.
Is there a minimum age to get certifications?

This post has been edited by LeisureProgrammer: 05 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

View PostLeisureProgrammer, on 05 February 2010 - 02:39 PM, said:

Well, it really depends on the school you go to as to what they offer.

LOL, uWaterloo is really close to me, so I think if I ever want to do Comp. Sci. I'll try there. I'm sure they don't offer "pre-organized tracks", I'll have to do that myself.

My advice would be to go to a university and study something in the mathematics, physics, computer science, or engineering part of things...

the comp sci major focuses on scientific programming with tons of wonderful advanced math and science classes that are indirectly related

The thing is; I really want to do computer science, but I think I'll get really bored/frustrated when I'm doing indirectly related math classes LOL

View PostChoscura, on 04 February 2010 - 11:54 PM, said:

I think I'll go with this idea unless I find a University close by which offers Comp. Sci. with Math stripped off of it (especially number/graph/type/category theories)

LOL I play with VB.NET and Java for a few hours everyday, I love it.
Is there a minimum age to get certifications?

Most, if not all, require pretty complex math courses... Hell you suggested quantum physics, as a person who took a long hard look into physics, the math isn't too far off.

If you want comp sci with out the math go MIS (management info science)... as far as I can tell it's comp sci lite and business lite. Back in the day when computers were the hot new thing to an easy path of millions of dollars in DOTCOM stock everyone jumped at comp sci. After the first semester most everyone bailed to MIS since it was easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:02 AM

The math courses I had to take for my program weren't horrific:

A few semesters of calculus
discrete
formal languages and automata theory
data and knowledge based systems
statistics and probability
data structures and algorithms

The ones that kicked my ass the hardest were my first semester of calculus and then automata theory. Beyond that it wasn't too bad. I found most of it pretty interesting actually (except probability but that was mostly due to my instructor)

You can't really get a meaningful education in computer science "with the math stripped off of it." Computer science is essentially applied mathematics. You could easily get a software engineering degree with very little math. All in all understanding the mathematics behind it will make you a stronger developer and engineer.

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 06 February 2010 - 03:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

Well you should probably try your hand at the university but you don't have to necessarily get a degree in anything important. Underwater basket weaving is fine. Sure you will have to take some classes you don't like -- suck it up, live with it, life is rough get a helmet.

part of the experience of university is learning more about yourself -- like you may find that some of the stuff you dislike now, is less distasteful once you know a little something about it. Mathematics tends to looks super complicated on the outside... but once you have the prerequisites it turns out that it really was not very hard after all. If you are a programmer than math and physics classes can actually be FAR less boring since that stuff is all pretty relevant to programming (well, if you care to look).

But everyone needs programs and programmers. So find something you are interested in. Be it psychology, phys-ed, construction science, forestry, economics, political science, food science, theater -- does not really matter -- because if you are interested in it and programming then you can find a way to make programs that people will need and want.

But ANY DEGREE > NO DEGREE

so even if you just study modern trends in shoe lace knots -- its better than saying, "aw f**k it I am tired of school"
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:48 AM

POPULAR

View PostNickDMax, on 06 February 2010 - 08:57 AM, said:

ANY DEGREE > NO DEGREE

Agree. My degree is a BA ( or BS, I forget ) in English Lit / Liberal arts. With a CS minor, mostly just for fun.

I work as a DBA / Developer. Like many programmers, I'd say at least 90% of what I know about the art and practice of programming I've learned on my own time.

University is NOT a trade school. It will not necessarily teach you what you need to know to do your future job. If you're lucky, it will give you a foundation for your chosen profession. If that profession involves computers, the hands on stuff may well be historical curiosity in ten years.

The point is, any degree shows you had enough drive or brains to stick it out long enough to get it. It's like surviving basic training. It shows a level of commitment. If you can even pull that much off for yourself, why should someone else invest in you?

Go to school. The real world is harder than school. Without a degree, it can be harder still. If you can afford it, do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +