• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 1055 Views - Last Post: 06 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

When you make yourself feel dumb.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:44 AM

Last night I decided to change my keyboard on the desktop.
New: Black with White text.
Old: White with Black text.
So with it having a different mapping to what the key actually read I proceed to remap the keys.

God knows how many times I was stump to why the keyboard wasn't working.
Yep you guessed it I pressing keys one old keyboard.

The remapping has though allowed me to map a few code bits available by pressing AltGR.
Also since it appears as different keyboard language I can switch between via an icon in the systray.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: When you make yourself feel dumb.

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: When you make yourself feel dumb.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:09 AM

Cool story bro.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A$$hole Extraordinaire.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

</thread>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

I just had one of these moments, not two minutes ago. I went across the hall to the staff room to nuke myself some lunch. As I was preparing to leave, I walked face first (well, forehead first) into a shelf by the door. It hurt. Thankfully, there were no witnesses.

Edit: Damned if I don't have a giant goose egg in the middle of my forehead. Witnesses or no witnesses I still look like an idiot.

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 02 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:00 AM

B9 : I did this at a party in an apartment years ago. I went out to the deck to check the burgers & trashed the screen door. Difference is everyone saw it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

Dont you just hate when those clean freaks throw a party and have polished the sliding glass door so well you dont know its there? Then you end up walking into it, it falls, you spill you beer and the music cuts off and as you turn around realize everyone is looking at you? Then to make it worse they expect you to buy them a new door. Pfft, some people.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

This morning I was checking out the new features of the site & accidentally clicked the wrong thing. I ended up flagging Amadeus' account as spam. And I could not undo it!

Core fixed it though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

View PostSethro117, on 03 February 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

Dont you just hate when those clean freaks throw a party and have polished the sliding glass door so well you dont know its there? Then you end up walking into it, it falls, you spill you beer and the music cuts off and as you turn around realize everyone is looking at you? Then to make it worse they expect you to buy them a new door. Pfft, some people.

That is usually when I wake and am thankful it was just a dream... Or was it because I had a concussion??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:35 PM

So I did something really dumb today at work. To provide a little background, I work for a company that underwrites bonds and insurance policies for general contractors. We do not deal direct to the public, but instead our customers are the insurance agents of independent companies that do business with us. We are nation wide.

Recently, I launched a new payment processing portal that I've been developing for the last 1-1/2 years. This portal was designed so that the clients (insured) of the agents we do business with could make payments online for their bonds/policies.

The last couple of weeks I've been developing some new features for the help desk that provides them with some new tools. One of these features allowed the help desk to troubleshoot the payment process for any insured account, should the user call needing help. Basically they could impersonate an insured and be able to view all the same screens that the insured sees. The only exception being that all sensitive data is masked and they do not actually have the ability to make any changes when viewing an account. The changes they can make have to be done through the administration side of the website.

Anyhoo, I updated the production site today with these changes. For whatever reason I failed to notice when going through the testing stage, since I was testing from the help desk perspective, that when the insured submitted their payment it was now submitting the masked data to the our database, instead of the unmasked data.

Keep in mind, once the data is sent to the database an encryption routine runs encrypting all the payment data so that it can't be viewed as clear text. When I masked the data, I really didn't count how many asterisks I used to hide the data. A bank routing number must be exactly 9 numeric characters, well it just so happened I had an extra asterisk for a total of 10 characters.

Naturally this caused the insertion of the data into the database table to fail, since the column was only expecting 9 numeric characters and instead I passed 7 asterisks and the last 3 digits. All the payment data was lost.

An email was sent to the insured notifying them of a successful payment, but in reality it had failed in our system and the data was lost. When the website errors an email is generated and sent to me with the stack trace and error message. If it wasn't for this, I would have never known the payment had been lost.

This happened on two separate payments before I uncovered what happened, fixed it, and update the website.

Now it was bad enough that it happened, but we also had to call the insured and tell them that despite the email they received, their payment was lost and they needed to resubmit it.

My head was hanging very low today. The only consolation I have is that it was only limited to two payments and not all of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

aww, jayman! I feel like giving you a hug! :wub:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

Aw, Jayman, I feel like pointing and laugh..I mean, giving you a hug, too.

At least the day is over. And nobody died. You didn't get fired. The problem got fixed.

See, you have more than just that one consolation. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

While it certainly wasn't the end of the world, it was mistake that you just don't want to make when dealing with other peoples money. People get cranky when you mishandle their funds.

Thanks for pointing and laughing...I mean caring. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

You mean those aren't the same thing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:41 AM

Jayman, what insurance company are you with??? My company might be replacing some of your business, and I am the admin for our replacement database...at least for any health and life policies!!

Ok, well, for my dumb moment, I was tasked with updating a query some months back. It was actually a complete re-write, and the requestor wanted the dates changed to current dates. Well, not long after I completed by task, the requestor came back, and asked for the dates to be reset to the original dates. Anyway, at the time I did it, but I didn't look closely at the ENTIRE sql 'where' statement. I got a call yesterday, and the requestor was irrate with me for having changed the dates. (LESSON LEARNED...get everything in writing when dealing with that specific requestor.) So I'm looking at the SQL, and realized that I had forgotten to add 2 lines in the where clause. Of course I didn't tell her I had done that, I simply added them when she wasn't looking, and changed the dates, thus fixing the issue. Of course, this is after she screamed at me in front of her entire department. Grrr....some people are mean.

Oh, Seth and No2, my sister did BOTH of those things. Read the jokes thread, and you will see me mention her. Bort and I refer to her as the platinum blonde, which she is and acts accordingly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:53 AM

Some of P4L's Platinum Blonde stories are great...dehydrated water FTW!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +