6 Replies - 1033 Views - Last Post: 03 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to find or draw something like this

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

I am really new to web design. I found an interesting site and I want to do my next project in this style.
www. amitkhera. com
I want to find or draw images like the one with the tree, people and the house.
Can anyone point me where to start using GIMP or how is this technique called?
Thank you
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to find or draw something like this

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to find or draw something like this

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

As said multiple times before elsewhere never NEVER start on something overly ambitious because you'll lose interest fast and end up burning out on it. Start small and work your way up with some basics and lessons otherwise you'll know a handful of specialty techniques but no base to make your own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

@Lemur: That is actually not all that difficult. It is just simple vector artwork.

@tashe: What you need to do is start off by looking into vector artwork. There are a few programs out there that are free, but Illustrator (by Adobe) is pretty much the industry standard from what I have seen. Now, this isn't to say that Gimp is incapable of doing it, it is just not designed for it. You can use the pen and selection tools to make paths and simple shapes. The tree is made with a few sloppily placed circles on top of eachother and then a rectangle for the trunk. After that take 2 circles and place them on top of eachother with some non-overlapping space. Cut out the first circle from the second, and remove everything but the little section to make it look like a branch.

The people are just made with rectangles and circles, so I think you can figure that one out on your own.

The house is a little more tricky (especially if you aren't using a vector program). What you need to do is make a rectangle for the main house. Then make smaller rectangles for the door and window, and cut them out of the main house. Then the roof is a rectangle the same size as the house with 2 more rectangles cut out of it (if you are using gimp) where the other 2 rectangles are at an angle to make it look slanted in the end. If you are doing this with paths create a rectangle again, then selection the direct-selection tool and delete one of the top points. From there move the other one towards the center.

Hope that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

Professional level, yes. I've been working with illustrator for over a year now and wouldn't dare say I know enough to be full time pro logo design. What I can make will satisfy most needs but anything major would take far more learning
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:10 AM

This could be knocked up quite easily, using illustrator and dreamweaver.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

Wow I was off, crap, thinking the wrong topic. Disregard the above post by me...

In this case the css could be a nightmare for someone just starting is what I was getting at.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the explanation BetaWar and the time spent. It is very helpful.
It sounds logical after your explanation. I'll try to get Illustrator and hopefully show you something in a week's time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1