Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 483 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2010 - 06:40 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Topic/Question Answered

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

Love the site, has been very useful for my programming problems but giving back to the community seems to be tricky. This is because there is nothing on the post's image saying that it has or has not been answered. Any topics with more than 0 replies are potentially solved and therefore a waste of time looking at if you want to try to assist people meaning that you can either only view topics with no replies or wade through them all. My suggestions is therefore, obviously, to add an image to topics in the topic lists top state whether or not the question has been solved.

Happy coding :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Topic/Question Answered

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Topic/Question Answered

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

Just because a topic has replies does not mean that the issue at hand has been resolved. In a lot of cases people are discussing the issue and trying to find a resolution. If you see a topic that you feel you can answer or possibly provide a better way to solve then I suggest that you post that in the form even if a solution has been given.

There is more than one way to solve a problem and maybe your solution is better then what has already been suggested. By doing this it also gives people who come back to thread different options and more knowledge on how to solve their issue.

Please don't let the number of replies deter you from sharing your knowledge with us. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:27 AM

But there still could be an option for the topic creator to say that the issue is solved.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:26 AM

I'd like to add that even though a topic might be answered. It doesn't necessarily mean that someone else doesn't come along with a better/quicker solution. I've learned so much on this site just reading different answers to topics.

I do like the idea of a Solved tag BUT (yea it's a big but) who do you leave it up to for marking it solved? I guess the Admins could do it but that's a lot to ask when there are topics that span over days of replies. The OP will probably not do it, most don't mess with the "Was this post helpful".

Just my $0.02
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:40 AM

View PostCharlieMay, on 06 February 2010 - 11:26 AM, said:

I'd like to add that even though a topic might be answered. It doesn't necessarily mean that someone else doesn't come along with a better/quicker solution. I've learned so much on this site just reading different answers to topics.

I do like the idea of a Solved tag BUT (yea it's a big but) who do you leave it up to for marking it solved? I guess the Admins could do it but that's a lot to ask when there are topics that span over days of replies. The OP will probably not do it, most don't mess with the "Was this post helpful".

Just my $0.02

A "Solved" tag wouldn't close the topic. So if somebody wanted to added their answer, they are free to do so. If the OP gets the answer they want, they should have the ability to say it's solved, meaning they no longer have a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1