which software process model to use?

confused with the explanations =_="

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 3442 Views - Last Post: 11 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

which software process model to use?

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:54 PM

Your team of software engineers is required to develop a web-based software system that
allows the management of supplies and distributions in a dried foods factory. Most of the
workers in that factory are not familiar with the capabilities of a computerized system. Suggest
the appropriate software process model to be used in the development process and describe at
least two reasons of choosing that process model

I'm thinking of using RUP, but I need more inputs. Which software process model do you think suits this system?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: which software process model to use?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: which software process model to use?

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

View Posthakkai2508, on 05 February 2010 - 12:54 AM, said:

Your team of software engineers is required to develop a web-based software system that
allows the management of supplies and distributions in a dried foods factory. Most of the
workers in that factory are not familiar with the capabilities of a computerized system. Suggest
the appropriate software process model to be used in the development process and describe at

I'm thinking of using RUP, but I need more inputs. Which software process model do you think suits this system?

What models have your text books discussed?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:36 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 05 February 2010 - 07:47 AM, said:

View Posthakkai2508, on 05 February 2010 - 12:54 AM, said:

What models have your text books discussed?

erm, RUP, waterfall, evolutionary, and few other variants like spiral development, rapid prototyping, throw-away prototyping. basically those in SOMMERVILLE SOFTWARE ENGINEERING 8th Edition
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Evolutionary development - agile - xp - whatever you want to call it. This must be an iterative process because you're going to be figuring out the use-cases and complexities as it's being developed.

Reasons:
- As stated, your domain experts are not going to be much help, so it will be important that you are able to create fully functioning sections in an iterative process in order to receive feedback quickly. The feedback here will drive the project plan.

- This is a business critical application. It must be deployed to a testable architecture and found to be correct for each iteration. Their current system cannot be affected at all. It will be very important to create small manageable pieces in an iterative process so that you can ensure each one's behavior is expected.

The bottom line is that any model you pick that isn't a whiz-bang attempt should be the right answer. So, waterfall is out and spiral is probably too long of an iteration.

The deeper bottom line is that all of these methodologies are bullshit. They're around to ensure that managers have jobs and purpose. The reality is that as soon as you're in the thick of it, you're going to find out what works and what doesn't very quickly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1